Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I've read it's important to have externally rotated shoulders on pressing movements.
    Does that apply to weighted dips as well? Having a hard time holding the shoulders back and down when going heavy on those.

2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

dips always hurt my shoulders when i externally rotate.

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

yep, they need to stay externally rotated. If you can do that work on mobility and take a look at your program because it means you have a weak back

4. conceptionist

I'm doing IA SPBR, so I don't think the programs to blame. Also, my back is a lot more developed than my chest so it's probably a mobility issue.

Can you recommend any good stretches for this (you seem to be the threads *external rotation expert*)?

Already doing Agile 8 and posterior chain mobility work twice a day though, so I would hate to add more stuff.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

What's IA SPBR?

It takes me like 30 minutes before i touch a weight in the gym
    For external and internal rotation my plan of attack / usually what i do on press and bench day.

#1 Open up the areas with soft tissue work. This allows me to stretch and lift in full range of motion. So Wall Pec Ball, T-Spine rolls, rolls my lats, roll my traps.

#2 Static stretch out anything that feels tight; wall pec stretch, lat stretch, ect.

#3 Mobilize the area - No money drills, bent over t spine rotations, prone trap raise, sleeper stretch, ect.

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

i think CSs kids will come out of the womb externally rotated

7. conceptionist

Do you think this setup requires above avarage recovery ability?

The typical IA SPBR program of 3 days a week makes DL and squat progress slow. FWIW, I started the program 8 months ago as a newbie to compound lifts. Had been doing random shitty weight lifting for 2 years prior to that.

8. virus646

virus646 Senior member

I found out that going from 3 days to 4 days is really related to how well you eat (by that I mean eat big, not eat more salad) and rest. I've got awesome progress after going to a 4-day routine and I've got shitty recovery. Of course, ramp down a little your volume when beginning to see how well your respond. After all, you have to test it out for yourself to see how it goes.

I believe charly would agree.

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

yeah 4 days a week is pretty great, at first you'll feel like you've gotten kicked in the sack if all you've done is 3 days but it works great ime

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

olympic lifting made me like this so you're part to blame!!!

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

On 6 day a week for dem hypertrophy gains. High volume, high frequency, low intensity. Did squats holding onto a pair of straps today instead of the bar. Felt good, probably help for people with elbow tendinitis or shoulder mobility issues. Only things I didn't like are its really hard to keep your upper back tight, but it's still easier to hold onto the bar for really high reps then normally and because the bar is falling back it basically feels like you're tensing your bicep hard as fuck the whole set.

12. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

Fuck I had a terrible workout today. Completely out of my element. Absolutely no endurance on any of my lifts. I usually do about 70 pull ups in my pyramid thing no problem, but today I was struggling to get 50

13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

These two nailed it on the head.

It's a matter of eating more, resting more, and increasing your work capacity (basically busting your ass until your body catches up to the workload).

I don't have have above average genetics nor above average recovery. When I first switched to a 4/week from a 3/week, I was dying. Just took a bunch of food and also a lot of time for my body to get adjusted.

14. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Yes on the externally rotated shoulders. What sort of apparatus are you doing dips on? If you are having trouble externally rotating, a common culprit is a too-wide grip.

15. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Gonna give these a try today.

[​IMG]