1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

I think your own analysis is pretty spot on. Depth looks to be right on the line, but otherwise not bad.

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

3. Crat

Crat Senior member

At least you're not rounding your back like me, very nice 1RM with that form.
    190 is still so far away for me :(

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  4. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

Thanks!

Thanks!
    Vids and practice, vids and practice... Takes time, but im pretty sure if i can do it, more or less anyone can :D

5. Crat

Crat Senior member

Thats very modest of you but I'm fairly sure a near-200kg squat isn't for everyone. Good stuff mate.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

L sits on bars to make it easier then transition to hands

Nice squat

7. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Just got a bike and plan on riding to and from the gym, about 10 miles total. How do I ensure cardio monster does not come and take all my gains? I'm on a bulk, should I just try to take in a couple hundred more cals per day?

8. Crat

Crat Senior member

I doubt 10 miles on the bike is gonna affect your gains much.

9. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Just eat 500 extra calories just to be safe.

STRONG BULK TIEM

10. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I biked to work, the gym and then back home earlier this summer. 15 miles total every day. My bodybugg showed roughly 200 calories or so more than if I would do nothing, or say, drive instead.

11. Crat

Crat Senior member

PSMF team here since yesterday :nodding:

12. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I know, but i'm unreasonably paranoid about this shit.

This was my plan more of less.

This is great to hear. Thanks.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I also do planks/side planks and other core work at the end of every workout. I've been focusing on core for a few months now, and it's paying off.

14. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Started first day of Sports Medicine rotation today. :slayer:

15. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

I'd probably start weighting it now, there doesnt seem to be much need to go longer than 45-60sec (can't remember source, think it is Cressey?). It becomes an endurance feat, which doesnt necessarily reflect strength or aesthetics.

Thanks again.

From what I gather in the media, this seems to be nothing more than sitting around in florida charging exorbitant fees to supply steroids and HGH to baseball players - nice gig [​IMG]

16. jarude

jarude Senior member

this owns

17. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Ditto on the weighted planks and side plank; helps my front squat a ton!
    Good luck changing from low barring to high barring Crat; let me tell you it's worth it!

18. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Can someone succinctly explain the difference between high bar and low bar squat, or a good article/video talking about it?

19. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

[​IMG]

front squat, high bar, low bar.

relatively speaking, low bar utilises the hamstrings more than high bar and front squats, which rely much more on the quads.

All things being equal, low bar squat should be the technique that enables you to lift the absolute maximum weight (unless you're particularly quad dominant and have weak hammies). This is because it takes advantage of eccentrically loading the hamstrings more than the high bar. Low bar usually also has a slightly wider stance that makes hitting parallel with minimal actual movement slightly easier, while also shifting a bit more weight onto the glutes and hammies. This means that the range of motion is also significantly shorter.

There are some schools of thought that say that low bar squats are inferior to high bar squats in terms of building strength because of the decrease range of motion and the fact that hamstrings can be strengthened with other exercises some as romanian deadlifts - indeed some powerlifters used to train high bar and compete low bar.

That's kinda controversial, but I would say that since switching over, I much prefer the high bar squat in training, because it's very clear where exactly to change direction (with the low bar you're kinda guessing where parallel is, whereas with high bar you just go down as low as possible), it naturally increases mobility, and it has better carry-over to the olympic lifts I'm trying to learn.

I kinda wish I'd never been taught the low bar squat to be honest. I've had to completely re-set my form and increase my mobility.

1 person likes this.
  20. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Seems like i've been doing high bar the entire time. I don't like the looks idea of low bar...