Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

man you all pull with the roundest of backs

2. knucks

knucks Senior member

get your back into neutral

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I had sweet potatoes with marshmallows Sunday night. I hate it when they add those. Why ruin a great veggie like that. Of course I made sure none of the marshmallows made it to my plate.

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

sweet potatoes with marshmellows? dafuq? now i don't feel bad for putting honey on meat.

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Then he would have to drop the weight by 150lbs+

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Double post.

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I did yoga at a Bikram Studio this morning for the first time. So much different from the Vinyasa hot yoga that I'm used to doing back home. I did the poses fine, but the difference in the whole process really surprised me. It was quite a workout, too. Planning to return tomorrow.

8. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

That's what happens when most people deadlift anywhere near weights that are heavy for them.

9. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Maybe, but what's the point? Deadlifting is a back exercise BECAUSE it's so difficult to hold a neutral spine throughout the lift. These are the muscles you are trying to get stronger by deadlifting. If they aren't engaged during the lift, you won't get them stronger. Also you'll fuck up you spine.

That said I didn't think your form was THAT bad. Not the worst we've seen on here for sure.

10. Towers

Towers Senior member

I think form is important but I read this article on t-nation that makes a case for rounded backs during max effort pulls. That said, it really only applies to competition lifting because why would you risk injury to up your poundage if you're just hanging around the gym.

11. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

That article also distinguishes between upper back and lower back, if I recall...

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

im by no means anything close to an expert on the dl or pl in general as it's not really my interest, but dont all the greats pull with a neutral lower back and rounded upper? with the former of these being by far the more important thing.

former (and current) weightlifters almost never let their upper backs round at all but that's more due to the way you break the bar off the floor in the classic lifts, the backs gotta be tight or otherwise positioning will be bad.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I don't really care what the articles says or not but you will always have a bunch of whiners about back rounding. Mostly from guys who deadlift less than you.

I don't like to discuss about it in depth anymore. My only question is usually "how much do you pull?"

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

A lot of people who compete pull with a neutral and solid spine. If you watch that super training TV video posted a while back all those guys are pulling with a solid spine. On Eason's video his lumbar is curved as hell before he even touches the bar, and when he starts his pull it's the first thing that moves up / breaks.

15. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yes, I understand that. But I think you missed my point. Most of those guys wouldn't even bring that up to begin with.

I find a curved back is fine as long as you start that way and don't curve more as you pull - keeping tight throughout the whole lift.