1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Saw the funniest shit at my gym today. Tiny little guy comes in, maybe 5'5" weighed like 120 maybe, first of all he's talking to himself really quietly and acting weird. He stacks 200kg onto an incline bench press, get on it and just starts screaming trying to lift it up and like shaking. Obviously he couldn't lift it up at all. Goes on a pec deck, sets it to like 80kg, he can't do that either so instead of taking the weight down, he gets off the chair and starts trying to push the arms forward with his legs, and once again starts screaming loudly. People who work there had to remove him, was easily gonna hurt himself. Anyone see anything like this at their gym?

My gym is full of legitimately retarded people. Must be some kind of program. So, yes, I see and do it all the time.

2. sonick

sonick Senior member

Was paying $20 CDN a month for Community Center gym, small-ish and not very busy, but is organized and has all the equipment I need.

Recently got a daily-coupon deal for $100 for a year at an actual gym, a big warehouse with tons of dumbbells, bunch of benches, incline/decline/flat bench press, barbells, three squat racks, and a tractor tire. However, the deal apparently has made the gym quite busy, so I'm apprehensive about it. But for under $9 a month can't complain.

3. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Do you gym-goers socialize with fellow members, or do you mostly keep to your own? What's the social atmosphere like?

4. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

LULZ

happens every day at my school gym. People load up the weights on the flat bench, have two spotters and try to push one rep. It's pretty pathetic. The sad thing is they all congratulate each other afterwards.

Just saw 2 azn dudes yesterday, ugh, I was laughing, debating asking them WTF they were doing. These guys were like 5' 7", prob 130-140lb a pop, skinny fat, not strong at all. These stupid fuckers had the bench loaded up to 225, and were spotting each other for like 6 sets of 5 half reps. It's like, why not just load the bench to a realistic weight, and just fucking bring the bar to your chest? Then there are people shoulder pressing over a 2" ROM way above their heads... ppl just piss me off when they waste spacetime in the gym. My gym membership is $86/mo [​IMG] Fucks me up cause the branch closest to me is shittier than my old gym, which was like $40/mo. Fucking zoo

5. James_M

James_M Senior member

I was at the gym around one in the afternoon a couple weeks ago and this 40ish Asian guy wearing slacks, square-toed slip on loafers and a mock turtleneck walks in and plates up the bar on the decline bench then proceeds to barely squeak out two reps. He then got up and sat in the hallway for about five minutes before trying again. This happened 3 more times before he beelined out of there. The weirdest part was I later saw him in the change room going into the shower.

This morning in the changeroom I was sitting on the end of a bench in front of the lockers bent over putting stuff in my bag when this dude in a towel walks up and stands in front of the locker. He drops his towel, and I'm not really paying attention, so he bends over to open the lock on the lower locker and proceeds to make contact with his ass and my face. He jumped up and spun around, still naked so his junk is eye-level, and apologized profusely.

6. James_M

James_M Senior member

7. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Do you gym-goers socialize with fellow members, or do you mostly keep to your own? What's the social atmosphere like?

waving and nodding. no time to socialize.

8. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i have 4 or 5 buddies in my gym that i talk to a bit and spot and such

9. Cool The Kid

I don't talk to anybody. I think there might be like 6-7 other dudes in the gym who aren't completely bro'd out or totally clueless, and like me they have their headphones on. I've been at this gym since May, and have seen another dude deadlift more than 2 plates ONCE. I told him to keep up the good work. Other than that, keep to myself.

10. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

The whole concept of socializing at the gym is one of the primary reasons I have abstained from joining. That and my inherent nature to psychoanalyze people's lives based on their physical experience...I am sure my brain would be in a state of extreme hyperactivity at a place like the local gym. I prefer solitude when exercising, and doing most things for that matter, but the gym does offers some equipment I otherwise might not be able to access...

11. gort

gort Senior member

Just saw 2 azn dudes yesterday, ugh, I was laughing, debating asking them WTF they were doing.

These guys were like 5' 7", prob 130-140lb a pop, skinny fat, not strong at all. These stupid fuckers had the bench loaded up to 225, and were spotting each other for like 6 sets of 5 half reps. It's like, why not just load the bench to a realistic weight, and just fucking bring the bar to your chest? Then there are people shoulder pressing over a 2" ROM way above their heads... ppl just piss me off when they waste spacetime in the gym.

My gym membership is $86/mo [​IMG] Fucks me up cause the branch closest to me is shittier than my old gym, which was like $40/mo. Fucking zoo

I still think the best is guys who pick up dumbbells that are way too heavy for them and proceed to "curl" them by swinging them wildly into the air, acting as if they're completely jacked.

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Since it IS a campus gym and fairly few ppl use it actively I do end up shooting the shit with ppl sometimes, talking about exams and thesis work and the like (especially with econ majors). However, I get my lifting done and go home - for me the point is not to have a nice conversation but to lift.

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

german volume training?

PRRS (Broser)

14. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

15. Cool The Kid

Just ventured into the board, this thread is like a raft on bro infested waters lmao.

Starting to get bored of bulking

16. Prada_Ferragamo

17. Prada_Ferragamo

I still think the best is guys who pick up dumbbells that are way too heavy for them and proceed to "curl" them by swinging them wildly into the air, acting as if they're completely jacked.

90% of the gym goers

18. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Are any of you IF'ers?

Yes. A lot of dudes ITT do some form of IF (at least rikkar, APK and charly IIRC). If you want to review some nice results, have a look at Martin Berkhans blog:

http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Client results

The blog is worth reading even if you're not really interested in all the minutiae - still makes for a good groundwork for anyone wanting to give IF a shot. I'm way too lazy to research all the benefits of the IF eating schedule, but the main reason I adhere to it (at least for my cuts) is that it makes cutting calories ridiculously easy and I like lifting fasted anyways.

19. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

yayyyyy! hit over 10,000 calories yesterday!!! [​IMG]

20. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Jesus you guys say the weirdest shit. Why would you frown on socializing at the gym? Where else are you going to find large numbers of shapely women?