1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Towers

Towers Senior member

yeah, I've got that shit locked down as well.

2. Crat

Crat Senior member

Well, if I could squat with decent form I wouldn't be posting formchecks asking for advice.

3. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

No offense Toasty, but I'd like to see you perform a good squat at max effort weights.

4. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

slicing your callouses off with a brand new box cutter is too much fun

5. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

re: Getting fat to move more weight.

This is a common strategy and it isn't just the minor amount of muscle your body will throw on. I mean, Charly refers to using sodium bloat to move more weight and that isn't even muscle OR fat. Last I read, it had to do with cross sectional area.

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Gotta increase that turgor pressure...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  7. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yep!

It really doesn't matter what kind of weight it is. More weight (towards your core/legs) can give you more leverage if used properly.

Which is why you see a lot of guys try to bloat up for meets... and because it's fun stuffing your face with salty food and ice cream :)

8. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I kind of want to see these sets of 275 (for reps) he says he's pulling.

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I can't wait to get back into the gym next week. Only 3 days missed, but still made me crazy not going. I need to mobilize the fuck out of myself this weekend because I spent the past 4 days in the shittiest positions while sick and felt too weak to keep my scapula retracted.

Sorry, didn't mean for it to sound offensive. You should do some mobilizing and strengthening those areas. I just think everyone here squats over what they actually should be doing and form breaks down as a result. People throw numbers around here that are higher than mine but when I see videos I wouldn't want to lift like that.

I'm done trying to argue against why you shouldn't do that, because most people don't want to listen. Example dude I taught how to lift posted a video of him deadlift 500lbs since I moved away, I comment on the video and ask why even bother setting up with a neutral spine and lumbar if your just going to immediately arch. He wouldn't listen. People just want to run Sheiko put 50lbs on their deadlift while form continually deteriorates and say they got stronger. But I digress.

10. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Gonna post improved squat form video, and a deadlift video as well next week after all this talk.

11. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I think my squat form is pretty darn good :p

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Your squat form is what dreams are made of. I'm jelly.

13. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Long story ahead but I had to post this.
    Just had an amusing argument with my parents about lifting.

Backstory:
    They've been on vacation for two weeks while I have been home with the house for myself. I've mostly spent my days lifting, eating and sleeping a lot. Decent bulk, all in all.

They came home tonight and the first thing they say is that "I mustn't get any bigger!". I'm wearing a tank, and I never wear tanks.

I explain to them that they should be happy I am interested in fitness and nutrition and that getting bigger is the natural biproduct of strength training, which they very well know I've been doing for the last year.

"Well, do you really have to get bigger then?!"
    I respond with that it would be very strange for me to be content with my current level for the rest of my life.

Later on, everyone is seated in the sofa. Mom and dad are having some candy and chocolate while watching a bad movie on TV. I'm reading about addressing my squat technique in K-stars book.

I walk up and try one of the mobility tests and start foam rolling, and it finally breaks for dad:
    "How much time and effort do you really put into this?" "Have you done anything else the last two weeks?".

Obviously I have (studying, seeing friends, etc), but I find their view interesting. Surely my habits (or anyone's who serious about lifting) seem a bit insane for everyone else. Weighing food, working out 4x a week, and causing pain to myself just to improve my overhead range is beyond their mind.

Anyone here's had similar experiences with friends and relatives? Have you been met with this aggressive opposition and lack of understanding?

2 people like this.
  14. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Absolutely.

You've all seen pictures of me, I'm pretty DYEL. Every time my mother sees me she urges me not to get any bigger. Also, she thinks the whole bulking/cutting routine wreaks havoc on the body, and weighing food is obsessive behavior.

And this woman is a nurse, so I dunno.

15. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

My mom and sister are fairly active, but they are the running / lean types. Every time I see my mom she also urges me not to get any bigger.

16. joshuasaussey

joshuasaussey Senior member

Form looks acceptable, but maybe not to the form nazis.

Do you feel like you are putting more weight on your toes than your heels? especially on the way up on the last few reps, it could be an attribute to leaning forward.

I do something similar, I have a slightly hunched posture which causes me to lean more forward, even though my lower back is relatively straight and neutral.

1 person likes this.
  17. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

You can cut your depth off about 2 inches and still be below parallel. You're losing tightness in the hole which is causing all the excess movement.

Are you able to consciously extend your lower back?

1 person likes this.
  18. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Why do my upper abdominals stick out a little further than my lower ones? Could it be a posture issue or just "genetics?"

19. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

pretty much everyone's abs are like that. you have more fat on your lower belly.

20. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Just found this thread woo!
    Crat- shove knees out; instead of thinking knees forward think knees out. As if you are trying to make a space under you to go into.
    This is probably one of the best squat form videos around:
    Some squat Mobs on this website under 'squat specific' (Starrets 'squat week' ones are very good): http://www.allthingsgym.com/mobility101/
    Edit:
    Found this vid; has a knees out and torso more upright stretch which are basics and absolutely great (combine with the previous ones).

Edit: HOLY FUCKING SHITE Klokov is offering form advice; Crat get on it!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.