1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Stronglifts suggests weighted pull-ups use similar muscles as the press and should help a lot. It did for me.

2. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Thanks. Already do loads of volume for pullups, chinups, rows and the like.
    I generally do 2 sets of 5 for the heavy compounds so I added a 3 higher rep set (12-15 reps) for bench and see what it'll do for my tenchnique and strength. If that doesn't help either I'll just eat and sleep more.

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Not volume but treating pull-ups like a heavy compound

4. Crat

Crat Senior member

What to do to prevent back rounding when squatting?
    It looks a little worse than it is due to the 'lump' on my lower back I posted about earlier. Doctor said my spine was just fine and the 'lump' is caused by over-pronounced spinal erectors.

[VIDEO]
    [/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  5. Eason

Eason Senior member

Don't go down further than you can handle, because you're losing your lumbar arch. Go as low as you can without losing the arch and that should help.

2 people like this.
  6. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

7. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

latest dom was disappointingly shit

8. conceptionist

Crat:

To me it looks like not only your lower back is rounding, but your upper back too. On the last reps your starting to fall too far forward as well.

I think you need to get on some mobility work and then work on your form with lower weight. Check Matt Ogus lower body warm up drills on youtube (channel name is flexforall2). Also, try to let the knees travel out to the sides instead of in front of your toes. That'll allow you to keep a more ipright torso and will enable the hamstring stretch-bounce reflex or whatever it's called. Basically it's more stable and will make you squat more.

2 people like this.
  9. conceptionist

Double

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  10. Crat

Crat Senior member

Tnx a lot mate, v. helpful!

11. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

2 people like this.
  12. Crat

Crat Senior member

My training bud says my back rounds more using bar only when warming up than when moderate weight is added. I'll def. start working on mobility, see if that helps. Could be a strength issue too though; good mornings?

13. Towers

Towers Senior member

Butt wink is bullshit . There are lots of videos of guys squatting massive numbers that tuck under at the bottom and are fine. That said, putting my heels on 10lb plates makes up for my shitty dorsiflexion and allows me to keep my torso more upright, effectively the same thing as a board or squat shoes and it made my tuck less dramatic..

Missed my deadlift at 430, 425 and 405 today :( was a bad feel. I blame the heat.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  14. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

He's got a lot more than a small butt wink going on in that video, though. There was flexion throughout the spine.

15. Towers

Towers Senior member

looks to me like he just has a big forward lean on and it turns the squat into two motions (hips rise->back straightens), the lump looks like his beefy errectors to me. i just get sick of "ooh dat buttwink, squats are dangerous, only do 1/4 squats and leg presses".

16. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

As per your recommendation Conceptionist just ordered the supple leopard book. Hopefully it'll help me out a bit.

1 person likes this.
  17. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Why can no one on this forum squat or deadlift..

18. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Why don't you show us how it's done?

1 person likes this.
  19. gort

gort Senior member

Probably because they are exercises you can move the weight even if your form is really poor, without any correction people keep putting more weight on the bar without anyone telling them they need to slow down the plate adding and fix things.

20. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I can squat and DL properly