Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

Trying to convince dani from newton to make dedicated lifting shoes its fucking huge vacuum in the market and people need to stop buying crappy cross training shoes.

2. Towers

Towers Senior member

I don't see how there is a vacuum, it's such a niche and people who want an alternative to cross trainers can find something pretty easily. I don't see how a company with no ties to lifting sports would improve on oly shoes or VFF style minimals.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

weightlifting shoes and no they dont.

the eva heel on pp2s is pretty crap anyways

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sportivny/library/farticles015.html

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012

4. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

The raised heel helps compensate for poor ankle mobility by tilting the foot forward. There's no reason this should result in a forward pelvic tilt.

Even then, in the long run it's better to work on improving ankle mobility than to rely on lifting shoes.

5. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

dreschler's weightlifting encyclopedia arrived by mail yesterday, so now I have some light reading for christmas alongside MWG

6. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

If this were the case, why do Olympians use weightlifting shoes and not simply work on ankle mobility?

7. Matt

Matt [email protected]

yup I had one about five years back. Hurt. To this day I don't know what caused it. I was cross country running and boxing back then, but not lifting at all, so I really don't know where it came from.

In my case when I walked a lot, i'd get a sharp pain basically at the crease between the very top of my legs and the bottom of my stomach, basically an inch or two to the right of the top of my pubes. This went on for a while and I just kinda ignored it.

One night I got home from a run, had a shower, and found a big lump there.

Scared the shit out of me. You find a lump, you think the worst.

Next day, doctor. Abdominal hernia, needs operation.
    Me = seriously relieved vs the sort of things I had been considering the night before.

Had the operation with an epidural and some valiums or something to keep me relaxed, but was awake throughout. Essentially what it is is a tear in the abdominal wall, and your intestine pokes through it, which causes the lump. They basically poke it back through and tape up the wall. Depending on the situation, they can do it pin-hole style, or slice you open. I had a slice-open.

In hospital for a night before and a night after, laid up for a week or so til the stitches came out. Recovery was quite painful, but mostly just because the stitches were right on one of the body's natural creases, so whenever you move, the stitches pull.

Never had an issue with it since.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012

8. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

150kg deadlift for a double, getting better. Definitely useless for physique purposes though.
    Also, noticed that if i tuck in my shirt while training i look slightly more like i lift. I need all the help i can get in that respect, helps motivation as well when you dont look like such a skinny phag in the mirror.

9. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

YOu can be genetically predisposed to herniation depending on how your facias formed.

How much do you weigh stringer?

10. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

202lbs. 190 of it is lower body.

11. Flame

Flame Senior member

I have a high Bar sticking point when knee are parallel.

Weak PC?

more ham work?

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

LOL

13. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

I had an abdominal hernia right above my belly button, there was a lump about the size of a ping pong ball that I could push in and out of my rectus adbominus, it made a funny noise, hurt when doing situps and while have sex, otherwise it didn't bother me too much. Eventually had it operated, it was an outpatient procedure I was in the hospital about 3 hours, thay made an incision about 2" across placed a mesh over the hole in the fascia and sewed it back up, I was under general anesthesia, had a couple of hydrocodones for 3 days, within a week I was back to normal. All in all it was less bothersome than a root canal or pretty much any trip to the dentist.

14. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I think deadlifts have a pretty big physique role for some people. They help me put on mass but I have to pace them. If I do a strictly strength paradigm for them its a little harder but when I used them in higher rep ranges and for very rare strength focus lifts (like maybe 1 a month do a relatively challenging double) .

I actually had my most aesthetic physique when I was deadlifting around 450 @ 174. God I miss the perks of lots of time in undergrad

[​IMG]

15. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

It will be soon. Deadlift (and squat), the king(s) of all physique builders