1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

If it makes you feel any better, the girl squatting LMAO3PLAET! is most certainly in the "freak of nature/no man would ever date you" end of the 4chan female height spectrum.

Browsing their other videos, there are some strong as fuck manlets at that gym.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Grooves are just a gimmick, can't really feel them when there's that much pressure, at least I can't. Foam is sufficiently grippy, I'd imagine way better than bare pvc. My shorts get stuck around sometimes, which can be annoying, but that's probably all rollers... Was it worth the money? If you use it frequently, maybe. If you always forget to use it like I do, probably not.

Regarding deadlifts: If all of my trouble with the movement is breaking weight from the floor and I never have any issues with lock out, what does this indicate? Lagging quads?

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

The chick with the 3 plates is cute in a butch way. I would bet that on the street she doesn't look like a powerlifter. Maybe at worst a softball player. The rest though:eh:

4. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Thanks for the answer.

I'll save the money then and will tape a yoga matt or something similar to the pipe.

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

I live in England so I'm used to ugly as fuck women, but other then the 3 plate squat one lol no thanks jeff.

Do some of these powerlifting gyms just throw on chains for shits and giggles? yah gonna use some tiny as fuck 10lb chains so I have accommodating resistance so I can overcome my sticking point being the top of my 135lb squat. Did the most retarded thing today, somehow I forgot to put my belt on when I was squatting at 90%ish. Was a bad feel.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Yep -- but the difference is Rippetoe personally trained that guy to look like that. When you're following Starting Strength, that is the look that Rippetoe thinks you should go for.

7. Towers

Towers Senior member

What did he start out looking like?

8. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

[​IMG]

9. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Holy shit he had potential too

1 person likes this.
  10. milosh

milosh Senior member

Rippetoe really gets the jimmies rustled.

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

But look at his juicy foundation of strength.

1 person likes this.
  12. jarude

jarude Senior member

yeh the first one has that amazon-woman i'll-crush-your-face-with-my-thighs thing going for her. i agree on the rest being ugh, though. california strength has some lookers there too

calorie surplus bros who like pancakes, i have a bitchin recipe: [​IMG]

http://www.canadianfamily.ca/recipe/apple-oatmeal-pancakes/

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

This will probably read like mind vomit but I was actually thinking about this shit today on the plane. Stuck on the plane and all I had was The Texas Method book to read / re read. Justin is a decent blogger but a terrible book writer, I've skimmed the book twice before but still had to re-read some sections 3-4x to understand what he's really trying to say.. Anyways, this guy above might be in a better place than everyone here, not counting Charly, I never count Charly. He's thick in the right places giving him good leverage and if he has good motor pathways then he probably out squats, deadlifts, and benches more than anyone here except Charly (again don't count Charly). The fact is that Starting Strength and Texas Method will leave you with some muscle imbalances that society has deemed you need to have in order to look like you lift: thick neck, traps and delts. You can try to address it during the program, but the extra volume will eat up your recovery for your strength progression if you are really doing the program right.

That's the question - To go full swolertrophy or to go full strength. They are two separate masters in my opinion and you cannot serve both if you are a beginner. The people we see who have a great figure and are also strong, like the author of Texas Method - Justin and Charly, people who we look up to are able to serve both masters because they are alot further into their fitness career than beginners / novices and I betcha their programs look a ton more different now from when they started.

That is where my quandary lies, which master to serve. As I've said here November is about when I was able to lift 100% again and go back on LP. So I had about a solid 7-8 months of strength training with the slow yet steady 5/3/1. I made progress with it, progress is progress and I've out paced people in my gym who were on Smolov and Sheiko because I had constant and steady gains with no resets. I posted here a few months ago that six months of training my squat deadlift went up 60-80lbs, bench and press about 30-40lbs, and bodyweight went from 160-185ish. I've now switched over to a mostly bodybuilding assistance work template to get things like arms, delts, and triceps to catch up to my new body shape, but I can't help to think I'm spinning my wheels now and I should do this much later in the process. I'm heavily considering doing Texas Method, I don't want to be a program flip flopper. I feel like 8 months of 5/3/1 is a good enough judgement call to compare it to something else I might do. So if I switch over I'm going to have to dedicate 10 months to it which sorta scares me because that's a lot of months of the same movement.

I'm going to finish this last week of 5/3/1 and heavily consider it while talking to the two guys in my gym that did Texas Method until it ran out then did 5/3/1 type stuff after.

14. Towers

Towers Senior member

Strong dirty bulk.

1 person likes this.
  15. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

***Body by Rippetoe***

16. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I agree that you can't go 100% hypertrophy and 100% strength at the same time. Unless you're a God like Mike O'Hearn or Ronnie Coleman.

[​IMG]

^hnnnnng my hero :inlove:

17. fuji

fuji Senior member

Doesn't look very strong. Just looks really fat. Doubt he's hitting the 405/315/495 or anything like that. By thick in the right places do you mean having a massive stomach? Even if he was hitting those numbers I wouldn't say he's in a better place then everyone here. It's not like conceptionist is saying "when will it be my turn for man boobs?".

edit: fat ripptoe guy, not mike ohearn obvs.

18. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I guess arguing what his numbers are is pointless unless it's posted online somewhere. But I'd wager he squats easily over 480 and deads over 550, at least he should lol. Just look at Brent who was a past Ripp lifter, he's like 150 and can squat 450 easily and he's a total whiny bitch.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

19. Towers

Towers Senior member

Before we get too deep into SS as physique destroyer, here is what sqatz and oatz and whole milk did for me in ~6 months;

[​IMG]

I've backed off on the squats (lol 285) but I still pull over 4 beltless on my deadlift. Maybe the kid cheated on his diet or didn't push himself? That's the problem with anecdotal stories.

1 person likes this.
  20. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member