1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Sure, but programming isn't the worry - technique is. I agree that as a beginner, following any novice program will get you results, but it's important to learn good technique early. That generally requires some sort of instruction from a coach.

2. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

IMO a good beginner's program shouldn't be full of movements that require coaching to learn. I do agree though that a good coach will be able to identify things like muscle imbalances, which will help a beginner avoid injury and get off on the right foot. But I don't think a beginner program should have shit like power cleans for purely aesthetic/conditioning goals.

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

There's a lot of ways to fuck up a deadlift or squat. I could post a deadlift video from earlier this year before I had done deadlift before... but I won't. Turtle mode is the best way I can describe, recipe for injury with more weight. Doing much better now though :)

5. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Power cleans, maybe/maybe not. But even squats should be taught properly. For most people, it's hard to watch a video or read a book and then go squat well. It requires a mix of strength, mobility, and good body control. Unless someone has a strong athletic background, they probably won't have enough of any of those things to move well from the beginning. A good coach offers supervision, feedback, and knowledge. It's really easy to spot someone who never learned how to squat properly, even if they can move really heavy weights.

6. Towers

Towers Senior member

Good luck finding a decent coach at most mcgyms.

I think you would have better luck watching a bunch of form videos, starting way lighter than you think you should and asking someone at your gym with good form--which you can recognize from having watched form videos--if they can watch you/give you pointers.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I forgot my chalk. Fuuuu. Worst feel ever when bar is slipping through your hands. I should do grip work. Still eked out 2x8x335. 10lb improvement from last time

8. Crat

Crat Senior member

ah, sucks. I often do one more rep approx 1 min after a set w. overhand grip and just stand as long as my grip allows. Made some decent grip strength progress this way but chalk is still a lifesaver. Specially on hot days.

1 person likes this.
  9. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

farmers walks around my gym deathgripping 50lb kettlebells have done wonders for my forearms/grip

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

Would not to be a farmers marathon if your using 50s. I like fat grips, limiting how much I use them because the massively decreased weight.

Lol, mum is like 5'5", dads 5'10" sister is 5'2" tysm genetic disorder. Sometimes I wounder if the height gains and bone structure gains are worth the difficulty in making gains and health risks and it definitely is.

11. Nikolo

Nikolo Senior member

Yay! The ever so often shit storm has ended... for now. Also, I love carbing up on some gummy bears. $8 for 3lbs of gummys to get 1200 g of carbs (not all at one time hah).

12. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Joe Sixpack just wants to look good on the beach. I think it's important to have a balanced routine that builds aesthetics and helps strengthen the core, but I don't think super technical lifts like back squats and deadlifts are absolute necessary building blocks to achieve those ends. Most people have fucked up spine alignments from sitting all day and have to fix that before getting into Olympic lifts. And as far as growth goes, yes lifts like the squat are great for testosterone, but you can have good legs with simpler lifts like leg press. People shit on leg press but if you have twigs you won't be able to move big weight through a legitimate ROM. So I think there's other ways to do it & good reason to question a lot of what is deemed common knowledge

13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

From what I remember, aren't you tall and rather skinny?

I've never heard anyone that's strong with a great physique say that squats and deadlifts aren't building blocks to achieve a good physique.

Squat > every other squat variation out there > leg press. Come on, son.

14. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Closing in on 3rd week of bulk, gained about 2 1/2 lbs that don't seem to waver day to day much, so I think i'm doing good so far. 184 lbs at 5 11ish currently. Im kinda siding with TK, I wanna get fucking huge, thinking of bulking to like 215-220, does that seem too crazy? Yeah my bathrooms a mess, come at me brooklyn living with roommates mode. also, i dont know it looks like im pouting haha. Spoiled to not subject every to DYEL mode
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. mrchariybrown

Just keep gaining and see where you are. Might not make it to 215-220 without some excess bodyfat. You'll only know if you keep gaining :)

16. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I've got excess body fat now for sure, and to be honest I don't mind gaining a bit more. I think coming from being a skinnyfatphaggot i've been in the position where I looked shitty so meh, at least this time I won't look great but at least i'll be strong.

17. mrchariybrown

Yea, like I said.. keep eating and see where you end up.

18. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Eating and lifting heavy you mean haha

19. mrchariybrown

Well I figured the "lifting heavy" part was a given haha

Since it seems most people just lift heavy looking to get big but don't have the calories to back it up lol

1 person likes this.
  20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

What wrist wraps should I get?