1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

I'm trying to prevent attaining any more bulk throughout my chest and back. This is unfortunate, as the major bulking exercises I use are my favourite ones to do. Nothing feels better than pumping out a dozen pull ups with a couple weights hanging from your belt. It's a deep burn, heavy weight, with moderately high reps... I love it. Same goes for bench. I actually struggled for some to increase my bench press, and then I gave up, and reset all my lifts to perfect form, 12-15 reps. Since then, my bench jumped up to 225 1 rep max from 200. All in 6 months or so.

2. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Yeah, i've read so much research, and so much anecdotal evidence that on a cut cardio is not mandatory, but I can't seem to wrap my head around that. Just gotta get it lodged into my brain somehow. I walk everywhere in the city as is, and I go to the beach pretty much on all my rest days to swim, so as long as I get my diet and macros right cardio should not even be a consideration for me.

Yessir, LG and IF are simply the way I live now. That coupled with an ECA stack should make a two month cut a breeze.

3. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

sounds similar to front squats tbh.

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yup it is. I'm leaving my gym and starting YMCA on Monday, just going to swap SSB bar squats with front squats since I don't have access to that bar anymore, everything should be fine.

1 person likes this.
  5. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

LG/IF are pretty awesome, I've been rocking that. Gotta pick up some more E tomorrow, though, I'm going through it so fast at max dosage.

Not eating until lunch is pretty normal for me, so it's pretty simple to hit a cutting target for cals. I don't know why more people don't do it when trying to cut it makes it so much easier. I feel way better about myself when it's like 6 or 7 and I have 1500 cals to go haha.

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

How many cals you eating to cut? 1500 left for dinner would mean I only ate 100-700 the rest of the day based on current diet plan. I can generally make it through breakfast without eating, but need a little something for lunch and something pre-workout. Don't like working out fasted.

7. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I made curry chicken for last week, which was essentially just spices, skim milk, chicken and veggies. It was pretty good for what it was. Recipe is here:

http://www.grouprecipes.com/7398/very-healthy-chicken-veggie-curry.html

I usually buy a couple containers of 1% cottage cheese and store them in the fridge at work for days that I forget to bring lunch. I'll eat a container for lunch and be full until dinner, and that's only around like 600 cals. By the time I get out of work I'm usually pretty hungry, but I go right from work to the gym and once I start lifting the hunger goes away, so I don't usually eat again until around 6 or 7.

8. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I usually east a couple of hardboiled eggs to kill that first hunger pang I get midday, then stuff my face post workout, and subside on green tea and water till bedtime, when I have my protein shake.

Working out fasted after taking EC stack has been the best for me, I can't stand lifting when i've got food jumbling around in my stomach.

9. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

About the cardio on a cut:
    What I meant was largely what coldsnap said. Of course, cardio won't necessarily damage your recovery very much but some light walks definitely won't in any way, which is why I recommend it as most people not knowing their stuff ends up burned out otherwise.

Mark, How far do you want to cut? If you want to break sub 10%, try to do the IF protocol the right way (carb and macro cycling with percentadge sized meals pre and post workout). It can sound a bit complicated, but I just had one of my friends (newbie lifter) go from 14ish to 9% in two months while building strength. He made fantastic progress and has a very good base for a bulk now.

10. Flame

Flame Senior member

Lulz my training buddy wants to try hyphy mud on Mon.

1 person likes this.
  11. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

managed 80kg hang clean and jerk yesterday.

Not much I know but I was pretty happy because my jerk is a major work in progress.

Also, this article possibly explains why my cleans are weaker than my hang cleans - I'm used to a powerlifting deadlift start position which means I'm too bent over at the start of the second pull, which obviously reduces the power output from the hips.

I'm not sure whether that means I need to get rid of deadlifts and just replace with clean and snatch pulls or whether I can maintain both. Maintaining both might get a bit confusing.

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

fuck the dl if youre a weightlifter

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  13. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I personally had the best results on my cut doing HIIT on a stationary bike. Treadmills just don't accelerate fast enough to give you a true sprint.

14. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I have heard so much shit about cardio on a cut. Me personally I like doing light fasted cardio on a cut. Studies show that kind of cardio helps mobilize fat without hampering recovery from lifts.

15. Crat

Crat Senior member

TK, did u do HIIT in addition to your regular training during ur cut? Alternating lifting and cardio days?

16. msg

msg Senior member

Think I'm developing mild tendonitis in my left elbow. Any suggestions on how to treat? Lighter weight? Avoid lifts with elbow movement? Ice?

17. fuji

fuji Senior member

Buy a fairly heavy wrap, do a lot of light curls. What movements are you doing that are causing it? I was getting it from squatting with the bar too low on my back.

Lifting on the american military base is fun times. They have those stackable boxes for box jumps. Hit a 50" one fairly easily. My jump isn't even that high, it's just I can pull my legs up fast enough to land in a full squat. Also managed to do a few clapping pull ups, which was nice, well chin ups, I can't pull fast or high enough with a pronated grip to clap.

18. jarude

jarude Senior member

Doing a barbell complex or some speed rope intervals is not going to crush your ability to recover, even if its tacked on to the end of your routine. Bonus points for increasing conditioning whereas walking for the sake of walking is, well, bland

Sometimes I wish people would speak from experience instead of citing studies and parroting e-lifting celebrities. I sincerely doubt the majority of people here have reached the limits of their CNS output and 10 minutes of smart hiit would send them toppling over the edge.

19. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

My training schedule was like this:

Mon: Chest/Tris
    Tues: HIIT
    Wed: Back/Bis
    Thurs: Legs/Shoulders
    Fri: HIIT
    Sat: Deadlifts/Abs
    Sun: Rest

1 person likes this.
  20. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I think my solution to feeling fuckin dead on Friday squat session after a full week of volume training is to just add a pizza night on Thursday. Get all that carbs, fat, and salt to give me that bloat and help with recovery.

I could always do the Yates split of Sunday+Saturday+Tuesday+Thursday to give me more time between workouts instead of MTWF, but I like doing nothing on the weekends and just resting.