1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

As an economist why are you hating on this. She's just dividing labour and bringing some shit to the market so she can pay the profit of stock, the rent of land (which it prob affords a bit of) and get herself some equipage.

If your putting on more then 25lb of lean mass and loosing fat in 5 months you don't need to hop on any gear.

2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

i'm not sure 25 lbs are of lean mass.

also you can be sure none of it went to his chest or arms.

Seriously Coldsnap at the weight you're moving you could do a starting strength/SL progression on bench and you'd make progress.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Wut? It's more effort than setting a drip machine and gives way better control over extraction. I still prefer french press, but that's even more work/clean up. At the end of the day though, if you use shit beans youll still get shit coffee. It's not magic.

4. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I don't, but tea yields me disutility.

it also sounds like you're reading adam smith

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

Yeah finished book 1 a few days ago. Taking a break from reading about cattle and corn to read about the exchange value of linen and coats instead though, which is absolute bull shit.

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Maybe, I'm in no rush. I'll bench around 250 a 190lb BW in November at my first meet and that's fine with me, its low but I'm still only like 5 months out from my injury.

Def not 25lbs of lean mass, we all know that's impossible. And yea actually most of the gains was in my chest arms and back because I've been actually able to push upper body now that I'm feeling better, so that has given me a much better shape. I've also significantly cleaned up my diet the past 5 months and been running hills after lifting for a few cycles now. Certainly not jacked, but getting there.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

If you're up 25lb and your leaner then you were before hand you would have had to put that mass on with a lower portion of fat then you were in january. If you were 20% bf in january then that would be a minimum of 20lb of lean mass to make that change.

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Well let me check my training log. I was 178lbs in january, I bulked up to 200 until about march. I've been eating maint with cleaner food and doing more cardio since then and I'm about 194-197lbs and . I've just started drinking chocoalte milk with every meal to make up the additional volume from bodybuilding routine. I don't track body fat % so I guess I can't say I am certainly leaner, but I go off the mirror and I look ALOT better than I did in january which I should because I've been busting my but since the beginning of the year.

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

My weight hasnt really changed since beginning of the year, up or down :(

10. Crat

Crat Senior member

meh, failed squat PR attempt monday tho I quite easily squatted my old belted PR raw this time. Still think 10kg more should be doable.
    Do you guys notice much difference between belted and raw squats?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Definitely.

1 person likes this.
  12. Crat

Crat Senior member

How much difference?

Should I be pleased with same weight now easily done raw instead of belted grind? Few months between the 2.

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

thats a cool ass fish. yummy

14. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That all depends on the lifter's strengths/weaknesses and also the lifter's level of strength. You also have to factor in for reps or singles.

You should be happy with any kind of progress :)

1 person likes this.
  15. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

What exactly does this machine work? Lats, I'm assuming... Would it be a good thing to incorporate on back days to get dem wings? [​IMG] How do you guys feel about machines in general? I like using the hammerstrength chest and shoulder machines on their respective days

16. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

yeah it's pretty much a machine that makes bent over row easier and enables you to do it without cheating by adding some leg thrust.

It's not a bad one tbh.

17. virus646

virus646 Senior member

What Hendrix said ^

Machines are fine as long as you uses them for what they are: machines. They should not be used to replace the big compound lifts but to be honest, they're fun for accessory/pump and are more forgiven. I like to use them for pecs, cables for triceps/pecs, sometimes back/lat work like the one you have in your gym.

Charly used some hammer strength machine back in the days. Not sure if he use it today. They are really not that bad but should not be the focus of beginners/intermediates.

18. Towers

Towers Senior member

Feeling DYEL, do I go hell for leather and aim for 230 then cut back to a leaner 210 or stay here and try to recomp.

19. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I find this true after last nights squat. I did 2x5 at 175 kind of difficult. I jumped up to 185 for my last set and cranked out 3 easy reps. Noticed that my stance was a little wider. Will probably start squatting 185 now and can say I met my goal. A guy who is short, leaner, and definitely weighs less was the 3 or 4th person to use the squat rack and did +/- 225 for reps albeit slowly but still did it. I felt a bit discouraged but my bro mentioned he talked to some other dude at the gym who did more strength training hence whatever the fuck that means.

Curious what your numbers are now? Are you still doing SPBR?

My DL is 275 and I can probably add another 20 lb.
    Squat is 175
    Bench is 165 (175)

I am 5'9.5 @ 160 lb

I am thinking about hitting 185 on squat and bench then move into more of a pyramid routine like 5/3/1 but increasing the weight more dramatically for the last rep. Or I may just jump on what my bro does, which he says is like a hybrid. e.g. typical squat for him is:

1x10 @ 125
    1x8 @ 175
    1x6-8 @ 225
    3x3-5 @ +/- 245

FWIW bro weighing in at about 180ish / close to 6'1.

As my strength is increasing I am looking to add in more muscle since my bro pointed at a slim guy and said my body type right now is similar. I was a bit sad who he pointed out lol

20. Flame

Flame Senior member

Go to 230 but slow bulk.

For belts, Inzer or Titan?