• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So first day of squats in chucks....

Was able to match current barefoot max, and went down 1 rep on 3 plate max for reps. Overall, it wasn't bad. The max felt a little heavier than last time -- but so many variables go into play that it's hard to say if the shoes made a difference or not.

Last edited:

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It seems like we're at pretty much the same level in terms of flexibility.

I've read a lot of stuff on this issue and there's a couple of things I think you could improve on the box squat (advice Dave Tate @ Elitefts, Louie Simmons @ Westside, Mehdi @ Stronglifts):

- Use a wider stance, at least wider than shoulder width and up to what resembles a sumo stance. This opens up your hips more and makes it easier to shove the knees out.
- Sit back more and keep the chins vertical or even past vertical (backwards if you can). Don't let the knees get over your toes. It's going to be very tough to get out of the sitting position in the beginning, but this activates the glutes and hamstrings properly, which is what you need.
- Pause for a brief moment when seated.
- Stronglifts also encourages people with bad lumbar flexion to use a low bar position.

Read and view this:
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085
http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html
!

Thanks man.

I prefer to squat oly (straight down) though, because that has better carryover to track. Basically I just stand slightly over shoulder width and toe at 15 degree pointed outwards.

@ conceptionist: That's one of the squat racks in the uni gym, as you can kinda of see, pretty spacious and lots of oly bars.

You can't do 1RM cleans though. The floor isn't built to take that kind of punishment.

Exactly.

Last edited:

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I discovered the joys of mobility training yesterday. So this is how normal hamstrings should feel like....

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You think this dudes lumbar is in extention

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice! Help me with my bench, whats a good movement if you get stuck at the middle of the bench. Bottom and lockout are good.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about that dude that wrote 4 Hour Work Week and came out with that workout prog that he called like the 30 Minute Body or something and made these absolutely ridiculous claims. I have mad respect for that dude because he's clearly trollin deep.

He came out of the supplements industry, so what do you expect

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think we have the same issue with our bench. Chariy and I went back and forth a bit on this a few days ago - he recommended board or pin presses.

True, i think pin presses are in order for thursdya

joshuadowen

Reaction score
You think this dudes lumbar is in extention

Not necessarily, but I object to your blanket claim that oly squatting with a neutral spine is impossible. I have no idea what's going on with this guy's back, since I can't see from this angle. I am sure that there are many many people out there squatting like this with lumbar flexion. Squatting ass-to-ankles with a high bar might make it harder to keep a neutral spine, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. There's nothing structural that necessarily makes this a bad position, it just requires greater flexibility and core strength.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Also, I discovered the joys of mobility training yesterday. So this is how normal hamstrings should feel like....

care to elaborate?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GF has SC & AC joint sprains, impingement and bicep tendonitis.

Feelsbadman

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads