Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yip, i'm eating dirty but trying to watch my gluten. Gluten free cupcakes from whole foods are surprisingly yummy.

2. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

A suggestion may be to do a bit of a hybrid program where you bench in a powerlifting stance but continue to work on hypertrophy with flyes.

And a powerlifting stance doesn't necessarily mean you have to develop a huge arch and bench with a 4" range of motion, but it does mean that you aren't benching with your entire back contacting the bench and letting your scapulas move freely underneath you.

On a related note, I never see anyone who benches flat on the bench with giant ranges of motion or with their legs in the air(which both supposedly "isolate your chest") have an impressive physique. At least not at any of the gyms I've gone to. Usually they're DYEL and can't bench more than 2 plates to save their life.

3. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I wonder if I can use a yoga block for board presses.

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

all this CBL business is reaching critical mass, i think you guys should just eat the food and stop worrying about things

+1. there is a tendency to polarize this stuff between aesthetics and strength. my own best gains have resulted from 2x5 bench, 2x5 weak point assistance, and then 2x10-15 flyes/pullovers and an extra 2x10-20 on some form of tricep movement - foot elevated dips to failure, 2x20+ tricep extensions, etc. and people need to start benching 2x a week already, unless they have a hard-on for getting a bodyweight press or something. one bench day slanted towards delts, the other one slanted towards triceps.

5. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Eason, where's your leg mass man? Do some squats or something. no hate

6. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

How to acquire leg mass? I've been stuck around ~250 squartz for almost 2 years, including a hip flexor tear that put me out for 6 months. Never seem to get more comfortable with the bar and feeling strong with the technique.

7. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Groin update: have a boney impingement / protuberance on the head of my femur. Likely just developed over a long period of time since I was very young. This bump caused the labrum tear and has also worn away some of my cartilage. Need to have arthroscopic surgery to shave off the bump and repair the tear. Recovery is 2-3 weeks of crutches followed by 10 weeks of PT. Pretty much as expected. I guess this will be a good opportunity to lean out.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Interdesting front squat day. Previous best was 100kg for one and 90kg for 3 and I havent trained the front squat since last summer or gotten much stronger in the back squat since then. I have gotten my upper back stronger and became much faster in the back squat though. Was hoping to hit 90kg for 3 today and then back down and do reps with a lower weight. 90kg for 3 was easy as fuck, went 95kg for 3 easy again, 100kg for 3 fairly easy, 105kg for 1, 110kg for 1, which was very hard and the form was shaky, but I got it up, then 100kg for 2, 90kg for 3 70kg for 10. I was much faster and had an easier time pushing through my sticking point, which is just above parallel. Didn't round at all except for the 110kg too. Took a gym fit pic, got my hair cut, looks like an onion when i sweat.

[​IMG]

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

fuk no wtf getting sick out of no where, thanksgiving is OVER

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

BBC fitness show is russling my jimmies

"going to the gym is the same no matter what you do"
    "use light weights to tone and lose weight"
    "having this much muscle gives me heart palpitations, can't breathe and I feel hot all the time" lul no thats because your on fuck loads of test
    "fat on your chest is gyno" lul wat

miring how fast fat bro is with 180kg on deads though. Lol at telling someone who probably maxes around 250kg that 30kg dumbbells are too heavy for rows.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  11. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I've been doing IA spbr for 7 months now with slow but steady progress. I think the program seems like a good mix between max strength and hypertrophy.

About benching twice per week - Since spbr is 3 days per week with 2 upper and 2 lower days switching, 5 days can pass in between benching and 10 days in between squats and deadlifts. Is it still enough? I find a 4 split to not make me recover for progressive overload on the heavy compound lifts.

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

for myself and many others, 72 hours between similar movements has proven to be enough. as far as recovery goes, there certainly will be an adaptation period - i had only done 3 days/week, m/w/f and when i switched to 4x a week, m/t/t/f i felt like i got kicked in the nuts for the first couple of weeks, and after that it was smooth sailing.

but if it is working for you right now, then no need to switch

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

snatch RDLs fuck you very much

dat hammie soreness

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  14. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

Lol that gigi dagostino in the background took me way back.

15. Flame

Flame Senior member

Going to start running Madcow next week to get squat up to 3 plates by next March.

Should I do assistance work after the main program? I'm @ the level where doing all 3 main lifts per session still leaves me with plenty in the tank....