Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I just spit out my coffee laughing at this. What an awkward moment that must have been. Lol.

2. Flame

Flame Senior member

Not as bad as fuji, but inadvertently let out a fart while sucking in air into my belly before unracking the squat bar. My friend (girl) using the rack beside mine let out a chuckle.

3. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

My strategy for colds is to continue to go to work and workout, however all free time is spent on nyquil and sleeping. Two days of 12-14hr sleeps will defeat nearly any cold. I'll skip work if there's no great need to go / lots of ETO.

4. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I can never sleep more than 7 hours or so, ever since my early 20's :/

5. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Try heroin.

6. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

As promised, i got a video of me benching today. Im pretty sure this is only 60kg, its two 20kg plates plus the bar anyway, but i can never work out if the thicker bars weigh more. I dont think they do, so we`ll assume 60kg. I don't have a very pronounced arch, but i cant get myself into anything more arched than that. You can see im struggling with this and its pretty close to my 8 rep max. This was my first set, i hit the same weight for 8 then 6 after that. Video will be up soon.

Also, a frail looking man in his 60's was doing incline DB press next to me with 12kg and really strugglign and asked me why i dont move the bench angle. I was like, low incline keeps more tension on the chest and less stress on the shoulders, thinking he was kind of looking for advice. He was like....oh....well what i always do is move the bench through the full range of angles, that way you can hit every part of the chest from here to here (points along his saggy chest.) Probably should have told him he was fuckin aesthetic bro, and that i was mirin striations, but it was easier to ignore him.

7. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

ffs wont embed

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

8. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

1. Try lower volume. Something like: bench, 2x5.

2. If you want to go double over, I suggest you start using a hook grip. If not, then it's just stupid. I prefer over-under but I also pull conventional. You can alternate if you want. Not of huge importance imo. No point of giving the rest of your body a shitty workout just so you can work on your grip. If you really want to work on your static grip, then after your workout, just double-over 315 (or whatever) and just stand there and hold it as long as you can.

9. mrchariybrown

If you mind me being blunt, you need to lower the weight a good deal and rework your form.

Your bar path is poor. Elbow positioning is poor. Bring that weight down to your chest.

Strip about 50-60 pounds off that bar and start doing some paused bench presses to work on your form. Go about 2-3 weeks with just 85 pounds for 3 sets of 10. Paused. And then switch to two sets of five and add 5 pounds a week.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

10. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

No problem. I thought elbows tucked was the right way to do it to protect shoulders.

11. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Yup, bar should touch your sternum and travel in a straight line. You can see that you're looping. Lower the weight as chariy says for a few weeks. Also, it looks like if I slapped the bar it would fall out of your hands. You should hold onto that bar like James Bond hanging off a helicopter skid.

12. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Well now we know it isnt genetics related. The good news is that if you change your form, I am sure your bench will eventually go way way up.

13. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

So i need to flare the elbows a little more? I usually try to touch the bar to my nipple line but it seems to be hitting a little lower now that i watch it.

14. mrchariybrown

Sorry, I should have clarified. Poor elbow positioning in relation to the bar - mainly related to bar path.

The way you're letting the bar travel in front of your elbows (when the bar path "loops"), is actually putting more stress on those rotators of yours.

15. mrchariybrown

Need to tuck more. And yes, would be better imo if you tucked more and touched a bit lower.