Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

wtf just realised shes using a mixed grip on the pull ups. Probably has to because she's a whale.

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

i dont think there's any specific answer to that. as long as you dont cut your intake in half overnight, i wouldn't fuss too much over it. i went from static cals over maintenance with a strength routine into a zig-zag type deficit doing a volume routine and i didn't lose that much strength and my size held up pretty well too, although that was more a function of my routine than diet i would say.

whatever the cause, i think the two steps forward/one step back in regards to gaining of size and strength and then sacrificing some for body composition is well worth it. you've been at it long enough to know that you'll be ahead in terms of strenght and size in the long run, so i wouldnt stress

and you're welcome :nodding:

lol didnt notice that before either. poor whaley, should have been using straps :tinfoil: although its good to see her doing something about it

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012

3. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Only thing I'd correct here is his head position. Better to keep the spine neutral.

4. joshuadowen

You've lost sight of the ball here. Injuries don't come from insufficient stretching before a workout. Injuries come, by and large, from working out with poor form. The purpose of pre-workout stretching is to mobilize the things that might keep an athlete from achieving good form during a workout. Pre-workout stretching is not a "must do" for everyone, every time. It only serves to attack specific mobility problems that may prevent an athlete from performing movements accurately.

I do think regular mobilization should be a part of most athletes routine, but it doesn't need to be extensive, or right before a workout. If an athlete already has very good mobility, and regularly lifts with good form and full range of motion, the need for extra mobilization work is greatly reduced.

5. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

The biggest thing I lost on my last cut was ability to do reps. My maxes didn't go down at all. For example, pre-cut if I could do X weight for 6 reps, at the end of the cut I might only be able to do it 3-4 reps.

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

True. I don't stretch before workouts, mostly after or during the nights at home. I do soft tissue work then mobility in the area I'm about to lift in.

7. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

You could try doing a sort of recomp in that transition period.
    Eat + 20% on workout days and - 20% on rest days if you work out every other day. Exact percentage don't matter as long as it's +-0 cals for the week for maintaining weight.

This is the way the typical IF setup works and it's supposed to help you build strength while keeping or even lowering your bodyfat.

I'm already doing a version of it now during my bulk (maintenance on rest days, +1000 cals on workout days) and it's great so far. When transitioning into cut I'm first going to drop cals on rest days and only at the last stages on workout days, so it's a -30 and +10 for example. Should minimize strength loss.

8. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

God I can't wait to cut.

9. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I fucking know, I love strength gains but feel like such a fatass haha

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

NVM IM ALLRIGHT

11. virus646

virus646 Senior member

you guys are nowhere near fat...it seems that some of you are always cutting :embar:

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

We are all pretty lean, except for Eason.

Here's my backload day if anyone interested.

7:30 Wake
    9:00-11:00 Coffee
    12:15 1/2 lb ground beef and gravy with brussel sprouts
    2:03 Can of wild organic tuna fish + lettuce (forgot olive oil dressing!) + Fish oil pills
    (had some cottage cheese to eat during 2-4 but got pulled into a meeting)
    4:25 Handfull of almonds
    5:00 Whey + Coconut Oil
    5:15 Werkout
    7:13 Kiefer Shake with 2 ripe bananas
    7:25 Cinnamon Bagel with butter and 4 oreos
    8:00 1/2lb grassfed beef + organic french fries + organic ketchup + 1/2 scoop of Gatoraide 32g carbs
    8:30 Cheesecake Factory Godiva Cheescake slice 80g carbs
    9:45 bowl of fruity pebbles
    10:29 Cottage Cheese + Peanut butter
    11:07 Slice of Pizza + Left over crust
    *got my eye on some ice cream

13. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Nigga what?

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Fuuuu. I thought I was going to die today. Johns program hurts so good. Can't wait for the doms tomorrow

15. joshuadowen

I understand the principals of CBL, but there has to be a cleaner way to do this. No one with an interest in nutrition ought to be eating oreas, cheese cake, pizza, and ice cream. There are lots of good starch source out there that will get you the carbs you need without shoveling crap down your mouth like this.