Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

I think you're over thinking the pull up. I tend to grab the bar and pull myself up to it until the top of my chest hits the bar. Works pretty well for me.

Dad needs a new lifting belt because he lost his poverty golds gym one. Gonna give him my inzer single prong, think it's 10mm can't remember. Obviously i'll need a new belt, considering a lever because its easier for speed work, but it seems like hassle to change the lever position so I can do weighted pull ups with it. Where to kop new belt? I'm very happy with my inzer, but i'm willing to try a different company, considering EFS because I'm poverty and inzer has increased the price of there belts by like $20 this year, which I would say is slightly past my budget constraint, but belts seem to be rather inelastic because I'm still considering kopping.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

9/10 coldsnap posts include the words "internal rotation"

3. knucks

knucks Senior member

Coldsnap is not wrong, though..he's being too nit-picky, but retracting the scapula does make it a lot harder.

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

just sayin, not proper pullups.

Do you do bend over rows with internally rotated shoulders? or any sort of row for that matter? no so then why let it get a free pass during pullups.

I wish i had a video of my friend doing a strict pullup, it was beautiful lol. I saw it and said I want to do dat, so I'm progressing towards them. But at the end of the day much stronger people than me do pullups however they want to, so i guess it don't matter.

5. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I know this will be universally panned here but what about using the pull-up machine that allows for weighted assistance vs. using bands?

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

bands >>>>>>> machine, iirc its something about the path that the body traverses in machine assisted pullups that make them suck.

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

You might want to start earlier in the progression. It usually goes negative pullups maintaining proper form, scapula shrugs, then banded pullups. Bands from EliteFTS are cheap, think they are like $6-7 on sale. Those pull-up assisted machines are weird but I guess they could work.

8. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Knucks that's more of a chin up than a pull up. I use those to do chin ups, anyways. The wide grips I use for pull ups.

EDIT: Just looked up chin up which is apparently a form of pull up. I always considered a chin up with a supine grip and a pull up with a prone grip.

Meh I wouldn't really be too picky about it TBH because the point of the assisted pull up is to work towards doing unassisted pull ups.

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

no critique on my werkout tho? Once my scapula stability and shoulders get jacked I'm going to go back into 5/3/1 probably.

10. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

There are some lifts where you should obsess over having great form...pullups isn't one of them.

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

You can hurt yourself really bad doing pullups like a dummy.

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

did you injure your shoulder after you quit weightlifting or was the it ongoing even then? because if it was i'm amazed you could do it given how much you've said it affects you

13. APK

APK Senior member

You can hurt yourself really bad doing most lifts like a dummy.

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

before and after > specifics of the template

run it, you've said you had to work with certain equipment restrictions so see what happens.

15. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I think it was going on then. I *THINK* it started out as a lower trap strain which I didn't know happened. I remember specifically I was a kilo off a bodyweight snatch, one week I came into the gym and I couldn't lock out anything over my head. After that I had a real bad month of training where my coach thought it was a psychological thing (I was nearing the point of going from a novice to some who was getting medals at meets) because I passed a bunch of shoulder tests. It was around when I was quitting the sport anyways because I was moving to Raleigh where no Oly place was. So I started doing 5/3/1 and i think the lower train strain torqued my whole shoulder, pecs, and triceps.

So to answer your question shortly it happened while i was doing it and i trained for a bit with it.