1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. AustinYun

AustinYun Member

I bet they refer to it as "big data" lol

2. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

This is what I'm doing right now. It's kind of exasperating to realize that all the lifting/exercise I've done over the past 10 years may have done nothing to actually increase my muscle mass.

3. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Eat big, lift big, get big

4. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Im at a crossroads. Im somewhat strong but somewhat doughy. I want to see how strong I can get before I start cutting again. The best times to cut seem like right at the start of your lifting career and I guess when your strength gains start tapering off.

Today was my first day doing legs since I broke my foot about 5-6 weeks ago. Back squats are no fucking joke. Before my third set I was feeling it in my quads AND hams. Lost a lot of strength in my legs and some upper body strength from taking the last week off. Time to beast.

5. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I think you overestimate the damage a cut will have on strength. If you do it right, you can maintain almost all your lifts and even increase some of them, like dips and pull ups / chins. Deadlifts and bench stalled pretty fast for me but squats went up during the whole cut.

If you lift to look better and feel better about yourself, just cut as soon as you feel you start to become too fat. You can have it all over with in 8-12 weeks going from around 15 to sub 10 pretty easy. You'll exchange maybe 15-30 added pounds on your main lifts (tops) for looking much better, being more motivated for lifting in general and in a better position for adding mass.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  6. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

What calculator or what did you use to determine how much calories you should be consuming on your cut, also what was your macro breakdown? I'm assuming High protein, moderate fat and low carb?

7. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I have been spooked by previous cuts gone bad. Plus I juuuuuuust figured shit out, and had good momentum going on my bulk before my move. I have been lifting since April 2009 and still cannot hit 225 for more than 5-6 reps, which has been the case for years and IMO is pretty embarrassing. So I want to hit some fundamental strength milestones and then think about leaning out. I would feel better going from 245x10 on bench to 225x10 than going from the 205x10 back down to 175-185x10 I'd do now, only to be kind of lean but sucked the fuck up. I have plenty of time.

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

race you to 215 bro

9. Towers

Towers Senior member

Are you guys twinkish as fack or just manlets? Sometimes I feel tiny at 6'1" 210, I can't imagine getting down to 166.

10. Eason

Eason Senior member

PR today of 165 for a triple on OHP, makin ALL KINDS A GAINZ

1 person likes this.
  11. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

Thumbs up emoji

12. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I bought a BodyBugg to leave out all the guesswork. I'm a decently active student and I burn about BW*15 or 16 on rest days and BW*18 on lift days. For me at 180 lbs 6'3, that's around 2700 and 3100 calories respectively.

I just follow the typical Leangains method with its calorie and macro breakdowns. There's loads of info in this thread and on the internet about it.

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

Having a fairly hard time getting back into lifting after having a few weeks off. Just can't be fucked to go or eat like I used to. Just demotivating as fuck being in the gym and not being able to move the same weight, will get back at it. Few weeks and i'll be fine.

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

Certified dyel twink at 5'11" for sure. I have fairly broad shoulders so I don't look completely emaciated but I'm pretty skinny for sure. Strangely enough people say I look like I work out, so maybe I'm lucky? Who knows, either way I'm excited to see how low I can go and then get bigger without turning into fatty mc fat fat.

What are you at now and when are we starting

15. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Yea I'm having the same problem was wasting my life studying the past few weeks so didn't hit up the gym, guessing my lifts will be about where they were at when I left, gained about half the weight I lost back but I'm guessing a lot of that is water so I'm not too discouraged. Just tough getting back on the wagon, after a few weeks it's cake because you're so used to it but until then it's a bitch.

Precooked ribs, teriyaki chicken and chicken curry for the week so I don't eat out as much, all the shit was on sale too so it was cheap as fuck (whole rack of ribs for $6, $2/lb chicken = cheap as fuck grocery bill). Still studying but ramping it down so gonna start tracking intake again, hitting the gym up again starting next week.

I feel like a fucking doughball, it's horrible.

GF starts P90X on Saturday, she's stocking up on food for the diet starting this week to get used to it, will keep everyone updated on her successes/failures. I threw in a paid trip to Chicago if she sticks it out the whole way (her mom will get me a free hotel room so I just pay for three days of meals hahaha).

Still no update on internship, if I get a job there I'll probably get a free membership to the social club whose building they're in, including a free gym membership. It's also a mile or two from my house which means no more car. :slayer:

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  16. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I'd like to try a bodybug. Now that I work at home I don't use much calories during the day, my cut sorta turned into a maintenance. I'm just happy going from 190-215 isn't going to need as much food as it would since I'm inactive most the day.

17. jarude

jarude Senior member

Getting up at 5:15am 4x weekly for 1.5hour lifting sessions while working 9 hours at a labour job and organizing a small business in my off time. No excuses crew

1 person likes this.
  18. Crat

Crat Senior member

Getting serious about lifting kinda distorts ones perspective of normal bodily proportions.
    [​IMG]

I'm fairly content now I've hit the 1000lbs club (skinny manlet and weak compared to most here, I know) and am going to focus on running again. If I can get a little stronger without having to buy a new wardrobe that would be great though.

19. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I'm probably pretty tiny in RHET standards, it's hard for me to have a baseline comparison because all the big dudes at my gym are either chubby bulkers or big-armed curl-bros that stick to the db's and check themselves out all day. Only a few legit "big guys" at my gym that keep their bf in check to some extent.

If I post a photo again I'll probably get shit on for DYEL-mode, maybe I will once I'm done cutting down in a month or two. After that I'm bulking but doing it the right way, not an all out pig-fest like last fall where I gained way too much fat haha.

20. Flame

Flame Senior member

1.79m, 75kg here. Definitely anorexic compared to y'all.

Although my lack of weight allows me to continue my skinny jean uniform. skinnies + doc martens / creepers all day/night.

Last edited: May 28, 2013