1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Gotcha. Yea, having the strength to push your glutes through will do it. I guess what I've learned is there's a lot of things unconventional about top lifters. Like there's nothing conventional about the way Dan Green squats.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I got injured doing heavy kettlebell complexes (pubic symphasis) shitty form DL's (slipped disk) and lifting far more than I thought i was (SI Joint Strain, fucking 30 KG plates) not back squats, FWIW.

Actually come to think of it i have a damaged nerve in my trap from bouncing at the top of back squats but that's not a common injury from what I can tell.

God I'm a fucking mess.

3. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I don't think I ever made the statement that form work was unnecessary. Also am fully aware I have form issues and have been working hard on improving them.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

I squat so wide that my maximum depth is just barely past parallel, am I also a phaggot sacrificing ROM for weight?

Lifting resumes tomorrow I am so excite, going to do a pull day because at least that involves pull ups so I won't feel like a pussy for loosing so much strength and mass. did my maths exam, hopefully got 40%. The RHET seems to be quite bitchy today, we should construct a linear regression model to predict the bitchiness based on various factors. Anyone want to recommend me some sickening econ reading for the summer? Bought the end of laissez Faire, small is beautiful and a guide to the perplexed because I want to find out whats so shit about neoclassical. Also for any of you ameribrahs who live near a uniqlo, they have some short sleeve sick floral shirts in stock, which make your arms look aesthetic as well as making you look like a cuban.

5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

So guys what's a good beginner program if i'm not gonna be there to coach my bros on squats/DL's? Mind you they just "want to get in slightly better shape."

I'd rather throw something at them that they can stick to than RAH RAH SQUATZ AND OATZ

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I feel like a combo of leg press, stiff leg deads and DB lunges/single leg squats and added core work should be fine

It would take longer but be less susceptible to injury

7. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Why SLDL over RDL?

8. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

i don't stretch that much either but not warming up is fucking stupid as shit.

but we're in different sports so there is that too. pretty sure no one snatches 90%+ cold

9. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Also the only reason I bring up the ATG thing is because those who do squat ATG typically think its somehow superior to squatting parallel or a marker for a good squat. You can do whatever you want and squat however you'd like -- but when people start saying that squatting to parallel isn't deep enough it rustles my jimmies something fierce.

10. Towers

Towers Senior member

Why would someone fresh to the gym be doing heavy back squats? Like ANY OTHER LIFT it's something you have to work up to, there are also potential dangers in a heavy bench press or a heavy shrug or hopping on a leg press sled and loading up more than you can handle. I also wouldn't consider the dead or squat particularly more technical than any other bb work like RDLs or SLDLs where the risk of lumbar injury with poor form is equivalent or greater.

To be clear, by "dialed in" I mean 'not on the fast train to snap city', not 'competition level efficient'.

11. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Unrelated note, more comp pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

You got robbed that dude's chubby compared to you

13. Cool The Kid

I meant RDL.

14. Cool The Kid

Heavy = a struggle to get the 8th-10th rep off. For a noob that could be 135# on back squat. Any exercise is dangerous if you use more weight than you can do with good form

But what is good form on back squat vs leg press for example. Leg press, you just need full ROM and to prevent butt wink. Back squat, you need those two, as well as properly engaging your erector chain and abs, and depending on if you do high or low squat having the upper body flexibility to hold it. You also have to factor in your body geometry for squats- if you have long femurs and a short torso it will be a real uphill battle vs just doing leg press or even split leg squats.

15. Crat

Crat Senior member

Any of you guys familiar with the Sheiko training program?
    I'm two weeks in after having done RPT for ages and kinda curious what the result is gonna be.
    Nice change even though the workouts now take a fair bit longer.

16. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Never heard of it. Must be some low key russian training template that contains the secret to a big squat lost for generations.

17. Towers

Towers Senior member

:facepalm: Why don't we just agree to disagree.

18. Towers

Towers Senior member

Here's a sheiko log you can check out http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3220779

Edit: here's a front view for deadlift form check

19. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Grabbed one last week. Thinking of going back for more.

20. Crat

Crat Senior member

Thanks! besides his log that guy hasn't yet commented on what he thinks of the program unless I've missed that. I'll keep an eye on it for updates. Not a lot of info on sheiko on the web though. The guy who recommended it to said he made a lot of squat and bench progress but that it didn't help his DL much.
    Oh well, we'll see.

Is that you on the 405DL? Form looks fine to me.

Last edited: May 25, 2013