1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

since thermodynamics don't suddenly stop to exist when you walk in the gym, it's either

too little calories going in
    or too much going out

or both.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. AKang

AKang Senior member

On days I have classes (tuesday thursday) I won't have time for Breakfast but everything else is pretty similar (mon, wed, fri, sat, sun). I will also have 2-4 beers on those nights (tuesday thursdays).

And on workout days, I will take the Creatine with my post workout protein drink.

3. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Well I'll tell you one thing. Protein is too low and carbs are too high imo.

2 people like this.
  4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yea, probably the culture.

5. AKang

AKang Senior member

I'll definitely increase my caloric intake since I'll most likely never stop playing ball. Also try to cut down on the carbs and up protein.

I guess I figured I could just eat anything and get bigger. This is a lot harder than I thought... thanks for all the advice.

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

well that came out a bit snarky.. what i just meant is that if you're highly active, your daily energy needs will reflect that, i.e. you might need to eat a lot to obtain that surplus.

e. as in my former poast was a bit on the assholish side

7. AKang

AKang Senior member

Oh, no, sorry, I wasn't trying to be snarky at all, I was serious. It makes sense, if I'm gonna choose to be more active, I would obviously need to take in more calories. I'm totally new to all this bulking up business so I'm taking in as much as I can from everyone here.

8. TWorksheets

TWorksheets Senior member

Yeah, something I didn't anticipate when switching from 3 days/wk -> 2 days/wk is that my recovery time would actually get worse...

9. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Rule of thumb is.. if you're not getting bigger.. eat more.. still not? Eat more.

1 person likes this.
  10. jarude

jarude Senior member

lol at the blanket statement of doing cardio means progress is left at the table, sorry. if you're competing and your cns is taxed to the max and you are already eating 5k+ a day, then sure, tone down the 2 hour cardio sessions. if you're like 95% of other people, the cardio monster is not going to come in and steal your gainzz. its a balance and i highly doubt the incremental benefit in terms of "lifting progress left on the table" outweighs the first unit of marginal utility from having the cardiovascular ability to walk up stairs without dying.

1 person likes this.
  11. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

5100mg of sodium... holy hypertension Batman

And that is solid advice Charly.... its tough though. I have been hovering around 190 since the start of the year despite trying to bulk. I just don't like to gain weight. I am gonna push to 205 though.

*EDIT* How the fuck do I keep hitting the first post every single time, this is ridiculous.

1 person likes this.
  12. fuji

fuji Senior member

Some cardio will increase work capacity too. Not going to make gains if after 3 sets your too exhausted to do anything else

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

Some cardio will increase work capacity too. Not going to make gains if after 3 sets your too exhausted to do anything else

14. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Speaking of high blood pressure, just saw a 12 year old that weighs 240lbs and has a blood pressure of 190/100

Ordered a shitload of tests, PRAYING that they come back abnormal.

15. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Was he jacked?

2 people like this.
  16. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I know this is a generalization but most Asian cuisine isn't very gains friendly (high starchy carbs and sugar/low protonz).

1 person likes this.
  17. Dar FTW

Dar FTW Senior member

had a patient no show for appt. today but noticed her bp was 196/100 at last visit...not good

18. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Man, my life has just been work, gym, study. Finished my final paper on MBS/CDO product in the economic crisis, just have the final left, rest of the time up to June 1st is studying for the CFA, then right on to getting a perfect score on the GMAT. Reading study material on the treadmill is actually sort of fun.

19. jarude

jarude Senior member

im going to quote you and ask why in the fuck were you doing cardio :foo:

2 people like this.
  20. jarude

jarude Senior member

finished hacking up the multigym. hobo-den gets an upgrade to hobo-den 2.0

warning: shitload of pics in my filthy garage

[​IMG]

before. to those about to be hacksawed, we salute you

[​IMG]

that won't do

[​IMG]

chop chop, in retrospect i should have cut on the other side of that hook as it serves as an anchor for the bottom cable. not a big deal though as i can just anchor it with any attachment

[​IMG]

much better

[​IMG]

not my most aesthetic work, but it'll hold

[​IMG]

this is the portion of the unit that would normally anchor the two pec dec arms. its supposed to hang upside down, but i flipped it to point upwards and secured it to my rack using u-bolts. unfortunately i derped with my measurements so it isnt flush and perpendicular, although it is secured very tightly. i might get wider u-bolts and put that piece behind the rack crosspiece which would allow it to be vertical, but i can't be bothered right now

[​IMG]

success! hobo-den 2.0 is born. at the bottom you can see the leg extension turned into a swing apparatus. this thing fucking owns bones and is 110% better than using kbs/dbs for swings, especially if you are stuck with wide as hell oly handles which only allow you to do swings in a stupid wide sumo stance. two main issues: one, i need a longer bottom cable as i can't get full rom for curls or pullthroughs although rows are fine. two, im missing the two bottom spacers underneath the stack so i actually can't fit the selector pin into the lowest two plates. easy fix though

[​IMG]

now wtf do i do with this stuff, any bright ideas?

[​IMG]

keeping in the theme of free shit, fully working treadmill my neighbours didn't want. im going to use it for treadmill pushing as a change of pace from speed rope. also see mark vi tdi jetta chopped into an el camino, bish is riding on airbags with dem rimmzzzz aw yea

so yeah that is my $100 rack + high/low cable pulley. i look forward to less fucking around with bands, although given there are only 120lbs on the stack my next challenge is to find a way to incorporate band tension into this, which might be as simple as just looping a band across the top of the rack and around the bar. will still need a way to add tension to the lower pulley though.

3 people like this.