Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Senior member

i tried front squatting today after 4 months off and while i did notice some clicking here and there, there's no pain afterwards. gonna buy some open patella knee sleeves to keep it in check, but... :slayer: :slayer: i have never been so happy to squat 95lbs in my life.

2. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Exactly the same areas as my pain. PT prescribed:

CERVICAL SPINE - 23 Flexibility: Upper Trapezius Stretch
    Levator Stretch
    CERVICAL SPINE - 25 Flexibility: Neck Retraction
    CERVICAL SPINE - 46 Neck Retraction: Side-Bend

Did those yesterday and they made the pain infinitely worse. Did you have that experience doing some of the neck stretching?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

LSE gym is beta as fuck. Went in to try it out, was wearing skinny jeans though because I was just there to see it, not to lift. Theres a bar with 60kg on it in the squat rack, squatted it a bit to see how the bar feels then I got a few of the rebook step up things to make a box out of. Beta personal trainer flips out and says they're really dangerous for you're knees and should only be trained explosively and above parallel and that it's the same as a deadlift (wtf). I raged at him and now im probably banned so I'll go join UCL gym. Bars were shit anyway, no centre gnurling and they were 35mm. May join a weightlifting club, but it's like $100 a month. Probably worth it to not deal with retards.

4. knucks

knucks Senior member

CERVICAL SPINE - 46 Neck Retraction: Side-Bend

what is this?
    make a double chin and bend to the side?

5. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

pretty much, tuck chin and bend slightly to the side

6. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Naw...the hours are absolutely horrendous and it's turned into a real ladies club. Almost no new male OB/GYNs coming in...where just a generation ago it was truly an Old Boys Club. I'm just doing a rotation in the specialty for the next 6 weeks.

Last night(my first day) I assisted in the delivery of a total of 5 babies. :slayer:

7. knucks

knucks Senior member

Anyone here from Memphis? Might be going to a conference there Oct 17-19th

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Could you go into more details about these stretches, or post examples. I never went to PT, after the $600 MRI and $200 doctor visit I was done with paying out money.

I actually don't do neck stretches much, I did neck yoga every other morning for 3 weeks and got no benefit from it as far as pain relief. Most of my stretches target the middle trap/trap area, since I think that's where I'm jacked up at and the pain just refers in the neck area. My favorite one right now, which I got from a frozen shoulder relief book, is like a hands behind internal rotation stretch. This be it: http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/flexibilityexercises/a/Towel-Shoulder-Stretch.htm. I just use a band.

Did they prescribe you any pain killers / anti inflammatory? With that and getting a massage every week, now down to 2 a month, I am pain free. BUT I can still feel something lingering around there. I really hope the desk setup changes, massages, stretches, and lifestyle changes will keep it at this level.

I overhead pressed for the first time last night in like 9 months. Just did the bar +5lbs on each side and was so happy.

Right now the immediate thing I need to fix is my sleeping habbits.

[​IMG]

9. knucks

knucks Senior member

Typically, stretching is not enough. I stretch and do myofascial release and even got ART done. ART helped most, but now I'm back to square one. I'm going to guess that the issue for you is scapular stability.

This is a quote from a PT I've seen before in regards to my issues..

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Hmm interesting. I write my own training now and overhead press and benchpress are going to be the 2 sole pushing movements I do ever. The rest will be PT movements and pulls.

11. knucks

knucks Senior member

I guess. Let us know how it goes

12. knucks

knucks Senior member

Overhead pressing is probably something you shouldn't do, maybe try it with neutral grip instead though

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

So I took two weeks off of heavy benching and instead just did form work....paid off in a big way. Previous max was 225x8, got 225x10 fairly easily....think I could have gotten 11 with a spotter. Next week I'll up the weight to 245 and start using that for my working sets.

14. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Here are the stretches I was given. Was not prescribed any anti-inflammatory but I have some mobic from my groin injury that my neck doctor said would be fine to take. I just dont think these neck stretches are the answer, I will look into the trap stretches. I do consistently feel like the middle of my breast bone is very tight, as are my shoulders and I feel some downward pressure on the back of my neck that I constantly want to push back on.

[​IMG]

15. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Ah, yea. I do some of that stuff while sitting at work.

Have you tried a trigger point massage? That give me instant relief of my tightness around that area.