Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. colabear

colabear Senior member

Wow, thank you for the advice Mr. Eason! Knowing that you are Mr. Fitness, I will take your advice very seriously :slayer:

My main goal for adding weights in my exercise routine is to help burn fat faster. However, if I start liking what I'm seeing, I might consider developing a muscular body. We shall see how it goes. I haven't gone to a sports equipment store to try on weights to see what's comfortable for me to use as a beginner. I will go to a store this coming Monday. 2-3 sets, 10 reps sounds good to me, now when you say doing 12 times or so, do you mean 12 different types of dumbell exercise per workout? Right now, I have 4 different dumbell exercise that I'm thinking of doing that I found from this sight:
    http://www.workoutbox.com/exercises/arm-exercises/bicep-curl-standing-alternating/

Along with lifting weights, I will also do 30 minutes of 4 mph treadmill and 25 minutes of Tae Bo workout which has worked well with me in the past. This group of exercise will be done during the evening and in the morning, only 30 minutes of 4 mph treadmill.

I am also going to add more fruit and vegetables in my diet. Right now my typical meal consists of 2-3 pieces of grilled chicken with a small side of potato. Or fish with a bowl of chicken and vegetable soup. I should start eating more salads.

I will keep you posted with the improvements and thanks again for the advice

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Ugh, first day back in weeks and I feel like death. I'm never skipping the gym again.

3. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

The 12 times refers to 12RM (rep max), or the weight that you can do 12 times and not more. 1 RM is the weight you can only lift once. In other words, you aren't failing on the 10th rep, but you have 1 or 2 at most left in the tank. This is because the main purpose of the machines here isn't to build your muscle, but just to get your body used to resistance training and not overload your CNS or make you think that resistance training is too difficult and will make you feel horrible after.

The exercises you found- they are for arms. Don't do them. You need to focus on whole body exercises first. Why? Because doing curls will not build nearly a fraction of the muscle as doing compound exercises. By doing cardio and losing weight, you are going to lose a little muscle and by training your whole body you will keep your lean body mass loss in check while you're still trying to lose weight. This is in addition to the fact that basically, compound exercises are going to be the only thing worth doing until you look like more of an otter than a bear, nh.

For your diet, try to be around 16-1750 kcal on all days. You want to be at around 500kcal deficit to keep up a steady weight loss. Try to weigh yourself every week on the same day and the same time. If you don't lose weight one week, don't worry about it and wait until next week, you may lose double. Go by the mirror more than the scale. If you stall for more than 2 weeks, you may want to see a nutritionist.

If you're working out with weights 3 days a week, then on 2 days in between you should still be doing cardio as well. Active rest on the other 2 days (you can play a light sport or take a walk but stay away from vigorous exercise).

4. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

You squat like I do. Back seems too vertical for low bar position. Like fuji said, you need to sit back and get a more horizontal back angle. Also, you might find it helpful to lower your eye gaze to a position 3-4 feet in front of you instead of straight ahead.

5. colabear

colabear Senior member

Thank You again for the very helpful advice. I found this exercise with a use of a cattle ball

I work out 6 days a week. Am I overdoing it if I do this compound exercise 6 days a week?

I am so excited....I'm going to bring sexy back haha

6. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

It depends man, I'm guessing you're primarily an endomorph and endomorphs need little rest. I work out everyday, I'm an endomorph at one point I had 25% BF I lost weight fast at first the first year but after it was slow. Got down from 230 to 160 over the course of 3 years. Been bulking up to 185 over the last 3 years. (one day is an easy yoga class thats my rest day) That being said what is sustainable for you? If you're going to burn yourself out, and go to far your body will have serious food cravings, how much will power do you have?

Not gonna lie Adderall and Cocaine were a huge help in losing weight, but I'm not going to recommend that path

7. thatguymj

thatguymj Senior member

Nice job, Cola. Losing weight will change your life.

I started reading this thread when I was 225 and ~25% BF (I'm a little over 6 feet). I am currently around 168 and 12ish% and feel like a new man.

Don't think I have ever actually posted in this thread but I read it daily and wanted to thank all the guys here for helping me with their posts and keeping me motivated to get in shape.

I'm planning on doing what I thought for a long time was unthinkable, bulking up!

8. colabear

colabear Senior member

good job thatguymj and smash window :slayer:

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I haven't lost weight in a while, I guess it's time to switch things up or add more exercise :confused:

I know I can't be eating too much, don't really pay attention to macros, but have a rough count of the calories.

10. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Thanks guys.

How should I learn to sit back more? I want my knees to stay perfectly over the heels. As of now, it looks like they shift forward after some reps. I've doing loads of flexibilty and stretching to get my back out. It has improved but still not enough.
    Wider stance? Box squats perhaps?

I thought a lower bar setup forced me to stay upright and a high bar setup allowed for some forward tilting. Would be easier to sit back with more firward angle.

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

incorrect

12. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

Buy Starting Strength and read the squat chapter.

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

why would you want to squat low bar anyways

14. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Well, I don't know haha.
    I guess I thougth it was better/easier.

Time to get the SS book.

15. Bill Splates

Bill Splates Member

* Takes hat off.

That link is one of the most valuable resources I came across in a while. Thank you, sir.