Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

how did you learn correct form? i thought i had it but strained my traps a few months back.. also young kid in my office, a competitive sprinter, just slipped 2 discs dl'ing.
    i want to start again but am afraid of injury potential..

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

2. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Ideally, your feet should be flat on the floor, and your femur should be parallel to the floor. If you are a guy of average height, move benches should allow for this. If you are on the shorter or taller side, this may be a problem. Shorter is easier to deal with - just put some plates on the ground so your feet touch without your legs dangling awkwardly.

Why does this matter? Essentially, this is all about keeping the spine neutral and the core engaged. Neutral spine and core engagement are somewhat less important on the bench, but it will make some difference, and it's generally best practices from a safety point of view.

3. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Did shoulder dislocations for the first time, used a broom. Resulting soreness was more in my neck than my shoulders. Further substantiates my belief that my neck issues actually stem from shoulder problems. Unless everyone has that problem doing dislocations.

4. knucks

knucks Senior member

were you chicken necking?

5. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

I've never had any soreness from doing dislocations. It's a mobilization technique, and shouldn't really make you sore... How wide/narrow was your grip?

6. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Brotip: drive around to the nearest gym and tell them you are thinking of joining. Ask for a free workout. Work out. repeat.

They might give you a speil or a tour. Just be polite. Gainz are gainz.

I saw yr post in SW&D. I work out at equinox but I'm pretty sure NYU has a gym. NYSC used to do student specials idk if they still do.

Who else is in the city?

7. knucks

knucks Senior member

My guess is he's so locked up in the tspine, that to make range when going overhead and back, his neck came forward

8. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

1. jarude in trying your tips here I'm having troubles at 3. I CAN go ATG but I can't do that with perpendicular arms in a DL stance.. How low should I go? Could also be that I'm not properly lined up with the bar, I wouldn't discount that possibility.

2. What to do for rotator cuff soreness? Ice? Or is there a lift to make it stronger?

9. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I suspect this is right. I didnt distinctly feel my neck coming forward but that is a consistent problem for me on my lifts so I suspect it is no different here. Any sage advice besides trying to keep my neck more retracted? I was pretty darn wide on the dislocations, I dont have nearly the mobility to go narrow.

10. knucks

knucks Senior member

Find some tspine mobility drills, then try dislocates. I can guarantee you that when you get more mobility in the tspine, your shoulders will loosen up.

11. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Basically I worked on my hamstring and hip flexibility and I concluded that you're supposed to feel uncomfortable as fuck in the pulling position.

12. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

nj/nyc bros: in town aug 29 - sep 2. i'm down to lift/eat/fuck (nohomo) even tho i turned into one of those 5'11" 150lb dyel-modes charly hates. at least it made ohp'ing 0.75x bw for a triple possible

13. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

EDIT: Don't really care if it works or is broscience, I need to stretch more anyways considering I don't do warm up sets and it's apparently helping with recovery.

14. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

had a great workout day today - 5 sets of 5 at 215, then a whole shitload of presses with dumbells and lat pulldowns until basically collapse. then I hit a 1 hour boxing class which was a blast.

15. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

makes sense, hip flexibility is a major problem for me. when you say uncomfortable, you mean in your hamstrings? there was always a point in my pull where i felt the whole weight was through my traps/upper back- even though i tried to keep the bar near my shins. perhaps i'm leaning too far forward because of my locked-up hips..