Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Having sort of a crisis not knowing which routine I should go with. Have been on Iron Addicts APBSR for 6 months and my gains have slowed down a bit, especially chest. Deadlift and squat still going up, though.
    Currently at 175, 12% BF at 6'3".
    1 RM for deadlift is 230, squat is 190 & DB bench is 60 per hand for 5 reps (haven't started real bench due to left shoulder flexibility issues).

Would ideally like to shred some more fat with a IF recomp and make slow strength gains and then start a lean bulk when I'm in sub 10% BF, but maybe I'm still too weak? Should I just go on a massive bulk instead, get much stronger (and fatter), and then next spring go on a regular cut?

My shoulder mobility have improved lately so I will start doing real bench press which could help my chest progress, but I'm also tempted to try a new routine. Would I benefit from Starting Strength? From my understanding, that routine is best suited for newbies. I may not left very heavy. but I know what I'm doing and my progress is still going forward, although a bit slow.

What direction do you reckon I should go with?

Thanks!

2. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

What have you been doing to increase shoulder mobility? I have been trying and nothing seems to help?

At 6' 3" 175, I would just bulk, probably up to 200 or so and worry about cutting down later. There are lots of people here who would say you could go even further. Bulking is going to help your lifts a lot and you are pretty skinny right now.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. jarude

jarude Senior member

the one issue that you seem to have with SPBR is that your chest numbers are lagging, but you acknowledge that you have been limited by shoulder mobility issues and should be able to start flat benching soon. assuming this gets your bench going - which it should - and given your squat and DL are still going up, i wouldn't change routines. if you have a serious case of the mondays and you think you're getting mentally worn down by the same-old, same-old, just swap some of the lifts out for a few weeks. turn squats into front squats or box squats, turn deadlifts into rack pulls, turn DB bench into dips, tri pushdowns into extensions, etc.

the important part at your stage is that you have found a level of frequency, volume, and intensity with the SPBR that is working for you. consider working within the same template but changing some of the movements to something similar to keep yourself mentally engaged. outside of the bench lagging which i am guessing has more to do with your shoulder mobility than the template itself, the only reason i can see for switching programs entirely is to prevent boredom. the before and after is by and large the most important consideration when determining what template to work with, so if this is working, stick with it.

as far as dieting goes, i feel that recomping is a bad idea. you said you wanted to lean bulk at some time in the future, so just start now. you don't have to fat up significantly to bulk up. if you are really truly at 12%, you still have some leeway to work with and wiggle room to bulk up. i would resist the temptation of overthinking things with concepts like IF recomps and lean bulk and routine switching when you have already identified that you are doing something that works, is in line with your goals, and have addressed the things that have been holding you back.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  4. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

conceptionist,

I'd suggest going for a classic bulk and cut. I think the whole "lean bulk" thing is great if you're already pretty experienced, as at that point you're only going to gain a couple of pounds of LBM in a year of optimal training. The classic bulk and cut is MUCH quicker in gaining LBM, and whatever fat you pick up can be gone in a 3 month proper cut.

From the sound of things, you still have some newbie gains to capitalize on. I say bulk like a champ.

5. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

On another note, can't believe I didn't use chalk until last week. I was able to add 30 pounds on my 1RM deadlift almost instantly. For the first time, I've felt limited by my actual strength and not by my grip. Ohhhh how good it feels.

6. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

Just signed up with John for 7 months, very excited.

7. conceptionist

Thanks guys.
    I generally over think stuff and this is probably another case of. To be honest, I wouldn't stand working out hard for a whole year and only gain a few pounds of LBM. I also highly believe I have some more newbie gains to make. Not having to do 2000 kcal days is huge plus. Love food too much :embar:

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Watching eric spotto bench press is amazing. 315 for 65 405 for 25, 650 for an easy triple. Doesn't even do any sets to failure. Lifts are raw too.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

brb out benching stan efferding by 100lb easily.

9. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Definitley too weak to cut! My lifts are all higher than yours and im an inch shorter and not as lean, but im skinny as fuck. At your height and those lifts you need to bulk. I got tempted to start cutting before but im now bulking to 200 and then i will see how i feel. I pretty much believe you have to get bigger, fatter and stronger first in order to make big gains in LBM, otherwise you just keep spinning your wheels like i have for a while.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Broke out the JC bands today and did a circuit. Holy crap did I get the burn going. Anyone have good links to a list of band related workouts or workout exercises? Lots of possibility for variety here.

11. conceptionist

That's what I've been suspecting. I would look pretty miserable at something like 8% BF. Would probably be close to impossible to get theere as well since I don't have a lot of muscle mass.

I have no intentions of getting huge but I need to add weight too my lifts. Will still try to do the bulk "smart"; lean protein sources, high carbs and low fat with at least 500 calorie surplus on workout days & fattier protein, lower carbs and more fat at around maintenance on rest days. I'll get started with this and see how it progresses (will most likely eat more [​IMG])

12. knucks

knucks Senior member

Neec to fix my shoulder fffmll

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

sweet, i just slipped and fell in the shower and landed on my elbow. bruising hard and cant put it into full extension without pain. ffffffffffffffff guess i am not benching tomorrow morning, fuck life

14. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Next time tell him to grab your hips so you don't slip.

also don't you have knee pain too? jesus you're destroyed right now.

15. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

[​IMG]