Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

FTFY

My wife watched more sports in the past two weeks than I remember her watching in my whole life.

Including clean up and shopping (which since the groceries don't magically appear in my fridge, we should consider) probably 4-6 hours per week.

2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'm going to have to try a rub next time. Do I have to alter the rub ingredients for a slow cooker?

3. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

My meals are super bland...so about 10 minutes of prep, 30 minutes to cook chicken.

4. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

No, the slow cooker won't really affect the rub in a way that smoking wouldn't.

When I do a shoulder in the slow cooker, I like to pull it out when it's done and take the liquid at the bottom. Put the liquid into a container and strain off the fat (give it a few minutes to separate). That liquid will already be infused with your rub, but it never hurts to add more along with some apple juice and apple cider vinegar. After you've shredded your meat, pour the liquid over the meat and toss to coat.

Heap that onto a bun with ample amounts of cold coleslaw, and that is one damn fine sandwich.

Also, if you don't think you'll get through all 6 lbs of meat you can always put half of it in the freezer for a month or two, as it keeps pretty well.

5. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

MMmmmmmMMmMmmmmm will have to try that

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I lol'ed at the ridiculousness of this statement.

Charly:

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/apr/16/food/fo-calcook16

7. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I thought any sugar in the rub won't be carmalized if it's slow-cooked (i've only grilled though, so ymmv).

Move back to the city saturday so I'll be able to really start cooking like a fiend. Sad I'm moving out of my parents place without getting down and dirty with their grill. Maybe tonight I'll grill up something good.

Any suggestions? Something that you can only cook on the grill pz, that can stay good for a while while refrigerated.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  8. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

When I do a pork shoulder I use David Chang's recipe from the Ramen issue of Lucky Peach.

Just add white sugar, salt and pepper and let it sit in the fridge for a day, then slow cook for about 8 hours, basting every couple hours.

9. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I'm following a patient in the hospital right now...40ish year old woman who came in with severe muscle damage leading to rhabdomyolysis which ultimately is leading to kidney failure...requiring at least a few days in the hospital and a hefty hospital bill. We think her kidney function will return, but we're not sure. Guess how this all happened?

Doing kipping pullups during her job as a crossfit instructor

10. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

It's not that I didn't think he could, but after two or three lbs in the same week he might be look for some variety.

The sugar won't caramelize, but that's okay. Pulled pork sandwiches are more about the tang of the vinegar than say the crust you'd experience on a rack of ribs.

11. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Yeah guessed it. Back at my old gym they fired a trainer who was a crossfitter and had her client overdoing it in private circuits, ended up with renal failure.

12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I just meant that rub-qua-rub might not be ideal for slow cooking, just becuase they're designed to crust.

But i know nothing about grilling/bbq (damn city living) so who knows.

13. knucks

knucks Senior member

the GHD at my gym hurts my quads. the foot plate doesnt adjust vertically, which i thought was weird, then saw that the Sorinex doesnt adjust either, and people seem to use that just fine. what in the fuck

14. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

jesus my sides

[​IMG]

also broke a barbell today collar came off during sn pulls

all these feels i dont even

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  15. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

This groin injury continues to confound me. Decided to screw the advice of my PT and do heavy DLs on Saturday (well, heavy for me). Expected to have serious groin pain thereafter but have felt great ever since. So strange that I can do that and feel good but doing nothing more than sitting on a stool for an hour or two can completely aggravate it.