1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Distinguished Member

Extremely douchy when you do it barefoot and drop from the top - without bumpers.

2. thevalz

thevalz Member

aight bros. can i have thoughts on my current squat? the dude i asked to film got a kinda weird angle, i guess. 4th rep is pretty weak. this is 2nd working set @335

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrc2zqwd3ee6m44/VIDEO0009.3gp

do I need to get deeper? i've got pretty long legs so it's awkward for me to go much farther.

3. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Distinguished Member

Lifted off with hyperextended back.

Looks like you're pushing with your toes. Knees going forward too far as a result. Get back on your heels more.

You're goodmorning it a bit. You drive your ass up and then good morning it the rest of the way. This is very clearly noticeable in the last rep, for example.

Can't really see your back because of the angle.

4. thevalz

thevalz Member

5. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior Member

Knees are definitely coming in front of your toes. If you can get your knees wider, this won't happen as much.

Also, as KC said, your butt is coming up faster than your chest.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

6. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Distinguished Member

Widen your stance and point toes out more.

7. thevalz

thevalz Member

I actually adjusted my stance to be narrower because I found it helped with some patellar tendonitis I was suffering.

I think I will continue to squat at a narrow stance but will focus on keeping my chest up. I feel that the biomechanics of the narrower stance work with my physiology a bit better. I'm guessing my form deteriorates at heavier weight and I start to lose back angle. I was in a rush today, as well, so I think I was bottoming out too quickly which has always made me lose back angle at the bottom.

Thanks for the advice dudes. Will update with some working sets next week.. will deload if I can't fix the form.

8. joshuadowen

This isn't very good advice. A wider stance and angling toes out creates a weaker position, but compensates for poor hip mobility. As most adult men have poor hip mobility, they have to squat wider and with toes angled out. This is not ideal. Nothing in the video suggested poor hip mobility.

9. joshuadowen

Focus on chest up should help you. So should focusing on knees wide. The knee issue might be mobility-related. You'll have to see.

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Distinguished Member

depending on how you squat there's nothing wrong with this

11. joshuadowen

Depends what you mean by "wrong." It might not get you hurt, but it's not an ideal position. The "knees out" cue is about creating external rotation in the hip. The hip joint is much more stable when externally rotated, which translates into greater stability throughout the squat, and ultimately to greater strength output. If your knees are coming in front of your toes, it's a very good bet you aren't getting much external rotation in the hip.

12. joshuadowen

About a year ago I had wrist surgery to repair what was a pretty bad ligament tear. Arm was in a full cast for about 2.5 months, and it took another 2 months or so to get back to unmodified workouts. Even after I got the rest of my lifts back up to pre-surgery numbers, I had a really difficult time with anything that passed through the front-rack position. I've spent a lot of time working on my clean & jerk technique in order to find a way to perform the lift without really horrible pain. Today was the first day I PR'd in excess of my pre-surgery numbers - 105kg. It's not that heavy in the grand scheme of things. I way in at about 88kg. Still, felt pretty good to make some forward progress.

13. peterjohny

peterjohny New Member

Well a proper health and regular exercise can provide something worthwhile in your daily life, Experts believe that exercise releases chemicals in your brain that make you feel good. Regular exercise can also boost your self-esteem and help you concentrate, sleep, look and feel better.

Vitamin manufacturing

14. indesertum

indesertum Stylish Dinosaur

Congratulations! Nice work

15. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I think I'm depressed.