Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. knucks

knucks Senior member

There are platforms, bumpers, squat racks...

Shit, they have clubs and kegs.
    I think they have plenty of stuff.

2. knucks

knucks Senior member

I'm just upset that i'm rehabbing shit so i cant go balls deep and just come everywhere

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Well, its somewhat relative. Its temporary, obviously, and if there is an underlying structural or muscular issue, then its not going to do a damn bit of good. The PT's idea is that if there is a slight bit of pain that's keeping you from doing A, B, or C, then the application of the cortisone will block the pain that you're feeling and let you do those things, thus furthering your rehab. The problem is, the PT has no idea why you're having that pain. It could be the thing you're rehabbing or it could be something related. In my experience, cortisone is basically worthless as anything other than a very short term fix, and even then it doesn't last more than a few days. Especially if you're lifting. Having said that, if you've got insurance, and its not expensive, its certainly worth a shot if nothing else is working.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

The comments are pretty lolzy

:les1983 48 minutes ago
    Hamilton Nolan - your a fucking idiot. go fuck yourself. you can do crossfit in a 10x10 room for free and alone. the "Cult" aspect is actually not a "Cult" but a motivational tool that pushes for teamwork and mental toughness. You idiot face will probably get injured because , well, your a fucking pussy that doesnt know what he/she is doing. Your girlfriend / boyfriend will like you more when you can keep your baby dick erection longer than 30 sec after getting in shape via 1 month of 100 burpees / day in a row alone (with no cult), for free in your little apartment.
    your a fool, fuck u. if i see you in nolita, i am going to fuck u up."

Gym has gotten a few cross fit people last few months. Women are fit, men are DYEL mode. Always with the dumbbell front squats into overhead press thing, can't remember what they call it.

5. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Crossfit is awesome for girls.

It's also great for guys who are content with spending a shitload of money each year to make the amount of progress someone on a legitimate routine would make in 3 months.

6. gort

gort Senior member

Girl I started dating does crossfit but doesn't talk about it much.

Another fatty on my facebook is constantly posting about crossfit but has never seemed to get her ass in shape. Also posted about an injury she suffered in crossfit a few weeks ago. :lol:

7. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

It depends what you mean by progress. In general this forum is pretty heavily biased toward strength as being the most important aspect of fitness. There's no doubt that strength is important, or that 3 months on SS will get you more strength gains than 3 months of Crossfit. At the end it boils down to whether or not you buy into generalist fitness training. Strength and power are important, but so are speed, endurance, stamina, flexibility, coordination, and agility. One of the fundamental ideas of Crossfit is that training each of these components in a balanced way leads to the greatest level of general physical preparedness. The cost of that is that Crossfit training will never get an athlete to elite levels in any one of those areas.

Like anything, it's a question of goals. For me, general physical preparedness is all I'm after. I am not after elite strength, or elite endurance. Those things have costs too. Elite lifters tend not to have much endurance. Elite endurance athletes tend not to have much power.

If your goal is heavily strength-biased, then yeah, Crossfit probably isn't right for you - but there is a lot more to being fit than being big and strong.

8. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

My fitness goals don't have much to do with strength but rather appearance. I'm an aesthetics whore...which doesn't go well with crossfit. :(

On a sidenote, up to 192 pounds today for a total of 26 pounds gained in a little under three months. Feelsgreatman. :)

9. joshuadowen

Fair enough. As long as you are being honest with yourself.

10. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Bike + leg day + bike = destroyed

Some dude was barefoot deadlifting like 320. Used the rack bb, did it right in front of the rack like a douche (no, he wasn't using it at all). Grunted so loud everyone was looking at him, dropped it regularly from waist height. Everyone was laughing at the dude behind his back, hope someone said something.

Squatted 2x5x235 today, way lower than the 300 I was squatting a few weeks ago but then I remembered I did calves before and biked two miles haha.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

:( I dl barefoot. And I tend to drop at higher weights but not from my waist

12. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Honestly I don't care about those things individually, it's that he was doing them all together and just being your typical gym douche. I squat in socks sometimes, and used to when I deadlifted, but I always tried to control the weight on the way down as much as possible.

13. joshuadowen

Makes sense.

There is nothing wrong with DLing barefoot. Also nothing wrong with dropping from the top (so long as you've got bumper plates on). Grunting excessively and occupying a rack, however, are kind of douchy.

14. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

The only place at my gym where you can deadlift is in front of 1 of only 2 racks. I always feel like a tool by occupying it when I totally don't require one. :(