Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Yes and no, but most of what the PT has said makes sense and would lead to some real positional problems going overhead. From this, I wouldn't say your PT identified your lats as being the limiting factor, either. According to this report, there are two big things that will cause you to hyperextend your back when going overhead:

1. limited hip extensibility. if you can completely open the hip joint, your "neutral" position will involve a forward tilting pelvis. This in turn forces extension of the lumbar. I've had a similar problem myself. Increase mobility so you can fully open up the hip, and your pelvis can sit in a true neutral position.

This stretch is your best friend for improving that hip extensibility: (note, the guy in this video has pretty crappy form, ideally, the back knee should be completely against the wall)
    http://www.google.com.hk/url?sa=t&r...xYGYAQ&usg=AFQjCNHNSxKb8TcZV9A2qSgAoIWbxPdeUg

2. pelvo-lumbar stability. basically, PT thinks you've got a weak core. if this is in fact the case, it will make lumbar hyperextension more likely when going overhead with anything heavy. a good test for whether or not this is what is causing your problem: can you get into a good overhead position with an unweighted bar? if the problem exists even without putting anything heavy overhead, it's more likely a mobility issue than a strength issue.

Worth noting is that the PT doesn't actually mention anything here that suggests shoulder mobility as preventing you from getting into a good overhead. Obviously this isn't dispositive. In the pic you posted it didn't look like you could get your shoulder into a proper overhead position, but it's hard to say from one pic. Try some pass-throughs and shoulder dislocates. They may help.

My gut from all of this, though, is that the hip mobility problem is the big one. Fix that and I think everything will look a lot better.

2. knucks

knucks Senior member

Im not sure what photo you are referring to - I haven't posted any of myself going overhead.

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

Watched that at work on Monday. May have been some of the reason I decided I needed a decent front squat. Don't care she's a world class olympic lifter, I'm not having a 48kg girl out squat me. On the subject of work I just had to go home early because of the DOMS from my front squats. Having a hard time standing.

Would fuck skinny white one/10

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

4. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Guess I was confused with the other pics that got posted. Ignore that part then. It's almost certainly about the hip extension for you.

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

this is awesome

brb getting taken to school by a 17 year old girl half of my size

6. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

Work set was a bit sloppy. Right shoulder loosened out of position. I don't think you can see this.

7. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

That bench is way, way too low for you.

Have you read Starting Strength by Rippetoe? It's not perfect, but the extensive text regarding each lift begins to clue you in to the complexity of the lifts in general and the many considerations that come into play for stability and efficiency. I know you can endlessly read text online regarding any random lift, but it's usually in blog-ish format and it just comes across differently than a legitimate book.

I would also suggest that Rippetoe is more of a "beginner's" teacher, focusing on cues, etc which work for the majority of new lifters. In my opinion, individuals who are starting from a very low general fitness level due to being underweight also have a unique set of issues which I have not found specifically addressed anywhere, however Rippetoe is at least a reasonable approach for abject beginners. Individuals who are underweight, for example, likely have not spent a lot of time attempting to perform physical tasks while the body is in a state of discomfort. It's a real skill to control all the angles and muscles used and it will take a LONG TIME to develop it. But you can do so and the results are pleasant.

8. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

Yes I've got the book. I guess I'll keep revising over the material. From memory, there is another flat bench which I could use with the power rack. I can't remember if it was higher.

You're right about the starting weight issue. Even in SS, Rippetoe talks about underweight kids at 140 or 150 pounds. I started at 120. I've been inactive since high school (24 years old now) so my general fitness level is shocking. One upside though, I played a lot of sport through school and had a naturally ability for it.

I'm not sure what to do at the moment. Keep eating, increasing the weight, reading SS, and concentrating on technique?

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Damn she lifts more than me and she is a little heavier than my girl

Need to lift more

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

More front squart questions.

Am I a pussy for using a belt for a front squat? Using a inzer belt, don't feel like I have any synergy between the lift and the brands of gear I'm using nam sayin?
    I have my feet just outside of shoulder width. To be honest not really any more narrow then my back squat stance. Friend told me I need to bring my feet in more, tried it and it feels really uncomfortable like that, like I'm sitting behind my legs instead of in between them.

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

your call, i dont use one, i find it very uncomfortable. not a lot of lifters at my gym use belts anyways.

incorrect, as you probably already figured out.

yeah i dont think you or me or most anyone itt will be at a 2bw cj anytime soon. so don't sweat it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Also, buy or torrent the dvd. And maybe increase your calorie intake

13. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm 24. No health problems. This is how many pills I take. This is just what I take in the morning. Anyone else do this or am I nuts?

14. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I guess it depends on why you front squat. My legs are stronger than my front squat which is probably a common circumstance. I do them for the core work and to hit the legs from a different angle, so I'm under the impression a belt would hinder my first goal. I have had someone give me a "crunch routine" recently that I have tested out for shits and I seem completely immune to soreness. That could be any of the barbell lifts, I guess, but in my mind I credit the front squats.

Well you and I have a very similar history then. I was inactive beginning with high school, although I have always worked on my feet, until I was 32 or 33 years old. I started working on gaining muscle mass at 5'9 118 after a mild flu knocked me down 5 lbs.

One thing that I accidentally did which I felt helped me very much moving into the barbell lifts was that before I fell into SS etc, I was fucking with dumbbells in my basement after jogging. They are less technical, but the movements are similar, and they train stabilizers more heavily than a bar. It is possible that having your stabilizers trained by dumbbells really assists with confidence and control when you grab the bar later. I have often thought that underweights should do something to work up to a bar. Maybe you could consider something similar or perhaps body weight exercises, Convict Conditioning?

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

do exactly that. don't overthink shit, you are 120lbs and still starting out with SS. you have a few months of grinding on this ahead of you. disregard everything else. ensure form is proper, keep eating, keep lifting. you may begin to think a tiny bit once your lifts plateau on SS, at which point a different - yet still simple - program will be more suitable for you. your squat and DL form is acceptable enough with minor tweaking - continue to work at it and continue to monitor your form. post lots of vids.

FWIW i started out at 150 with a sports background and SS worked for a few months for me. jumped to ironaddicts SPBR and it worked for several years. still doing simple programming and its still working. do not overthink shit.