Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

Do sets of 12-15 or sets of 5 with +15kg if I'm using a narrow grip where my hands are less then shoulder width, first time trying wide grip. Just feels really awkward. Hoping it's just because I'm not used to it.

Gonna see if my increase in pull up strength over the last 2 months has increased my front squat. limiting factor was upper back strength when I used to do them. Always rounded over.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

2. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Yes, her back is in extension here, and this is not good form. Hard to tell much more from the pic. The weight isn't very heavy, she looks plenty strong, and her shoulder position is actually okay. I'd say there's no reason for her lumbar to be in extension here, other than no one has told her to fix it.

3. joshuadowen

This isn't as bad as the girl, but probably a little over-extended in the back. This is harder to control in a split stance, in general. I can also see that this athlete probably has some shoulder mobility problems.

4. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

5. joshuadowen

I'd SS and 2-3 mile runs don't mix that well. I'd supplement with sprint workouts or other HIIT. It'll get you the endurance/stamina you need, but won't hurt your strength gains.

6. Dapp

Dapp Senior member

As joshuadown said, don't mix SS and endurance work. You'll pretty much shit on any serious strength gains training on a deficit, at least for SS. Obviously this can be avoided depending on when the season starts (or not avoided if it's soon).

I feel you on the academics and ECs, but you just have to make a time to work out and not miss. Time management.

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

have any of you grain haters ever eaten good bread before? get some fresh foccacia in you, preferably with olives baked into it dipped into oil and vinegar. how someone can hate a panini sandwich is beyond my comprehension. fresh homemade cheese bread with butter is probably one of the best tasting things i've ever eaten.

went to a wedding this weekend with the most excellent antipasto bar i've ever seen; p sure i was shitting bruschetta, prosciutto and shrimp for days. prosciutto can go on everything as far as im concerned. italian girlfriends = :slayer:

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Fuuu. Love me some good bread. So hard to come by and so difficult to make it properly yourself

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Lol in the middle the mid aged guy was saying how when he gets home his wife won't even look at him but now her attitude changed completely. Why? That's a secret

10. zissou

zissou Senior member

jarude- I could not live without bread. If I am not making it myself, I buy it from the French bakery three blocks away. Both make store bought bread taste like cardboard in comparison.

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

yeah rye bread (especially grandma-made) is so cash. fresh from the oven and with some butter it's awesome.

12. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

I see two things wrong with my first work set:

1. Squatting ass-to-grass
    2. Descending too quickly

I tried correcting this in my last work set:

Any pointers?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

it honestly doesn't look bad. nothing wrong with squatting ass to grass if you have the flexibility, though like you said make sure you don't dive-bomb it.

• part of this comes from your knees breaking first on the way down - if you are squatting low-bar, you want to let your hips break first and sit farther back as opposed to sitting straight down. think about pushing your butt out on the way down. this will make your descent slower as well as allow you to involve your posterior chain a little better. hips back -> lower hips - > bend knees
    • i know rippetoe advocates pushing your elbows up to create that shelf on your traps/delts for the low-bar; you will want to do the opposite. driving your elbows underneath the bar will help increase upper back tightness and help keep you more upright. you are already leaning forward a little which is fine, but given the load (no hating man, we all start somewhere) it looks like you will get folded over by anything heavier.
    • i would lose the hoodie. this is more preference than anything, but i hate having thick clothes on, makes the setup feel funny. and try not to crane your neck that much - rippetoe says look down, this thread says look up; find a neutral position somewhere in the middle.
    • its hard to see from the camera angle what the bar path looks like and if it is properly centered over your foot but from those angles it doesn't look bad. squatting any amount of weight that is hard for you will result in that grind on the way up - the important thing is that your hips lock out at the same time the bar reaches the top of the range of motion. try to get a view directly from the side to gauge the bar path; this will also help you better determine the eccentric (descent) and concentric (ascent) are being done properly.

where are you getting stuck? if you are just grinding out the last rep, that's fine. if you are getting pinned halfway up and having troubles locking out, try adding in some paused barbell good mornings. if you are getting stuck at the bottom, start pausing your squats at the very deepest point for a few long seconds. i always used to fret that my squat sucked due to the grinding lock-out, but anything more than a warmup will cause that to happen. as long as your hips are locking out when the bar reaches the top, don't sweat it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

14. joshuadowen

It's hard to tell much from these videos, but here are some things to think about:

1. Neither of the things you've listed as being "wrong" with your first set should be thought of as absolute problems. They are both potential problems that need to be managed. There's nothing wrong per se with squatting ass-to-grass, or with descending quickly. These things are only problematic if they cause your form to deteriorate. There are plenty of athletes who can squat ass-to-grass and who can descend quickly and who can do both with near-perfect technique.

2. The most common flaw that we see from an athlete squatting "too" low is flexion in the lumbar spine. Again, "too" is in quotes because this is a relative value. In general, more range of motion is good, and I'd always recommend squatting as deep as you can without seeing this lumbar flexion. It's hard from the videos to see your lumbar spine, so I can't tell whether or not you are squatting too low. As long as you can keep your lumbar spine neutral, no reason to limit your range of motion.

3. The most common flaw that we see from descending too fast is loss of stability, particularly through the core. Again, it's hard to see if this is happening from the videos. If your core is not particularly strong, I'd recommend a slower descent so you can really concentrate on keeping everything tight.