Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Firstly, I don't have personal experience with it, but the book Convict Conditioning is popular. I took a quick look at the first review on Amazon and it sounds solid. Body weight exercises sound like a joke, but the unilateral shit like one arm push ups, chin ups etc are nasty movements. It would also let you avoid gyms completely.

Secondly, you don't have to worry about getting huge. It doesn't matter how hard you work out or what you do, if you don't eat significant caloric excess than you will not gain significant size. Body mass, whether it be fat or muscle, equals calories, period.

Thirdly, barbell compound lifts are very big on the internet because they are effective, efficient whole body work outs that improve strength head to toe. Every able bodied aging male should absolutely be performing them to maintain and improve muscle tone. Males lose a scary amount of muscle mass each decade beginning at 30 and combating that loss is a BIG BIG deal in improving ones quality of life. I would recommend reading Starting Strength if you develop an interest beyond body weight exercises. Or at least read the book's foreward.

Lastly, lol @ the runners you mentioned. That is exactly what I think about when considering the aging cardio addict. Terrible muscle tone, busted legs, high body fat on a slender frame. Low back pain standing? Bad posture? I work with a literal fatty who somehow "bikes" aggressively and his physique makes me nauseous. I'm no expert when it comes to diets and I don't understand how to "get shredded" long term while gaining strength, but I do believe that it is EXTREMELY difficult to run into middle age and expect to be lean, especially when the inexorable loss of muscle requires the body layer on visceral fat to fill in the spaces.

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I loled

3. zissou

zissou Senior member

Thank you, sir! :slayer: Convict Conditioning looks very interesting. I started attending yoga classes a couple years ago, and have found noticeable increases in strength and flexibility just from that. It seems like CC might complement it well.

I'd much prefer biking long distances over running simply because it seems like a much more complete-body workout (especially on long mountain climbs) and much less impact than running. Many of the runners I know who are over 50 have destroyed knees.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

4. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Destroyed prostate is better than destroyed knees, then?

:D

BTW Zissou I'm still wearing a belt you made for me in 2010. Shit looks awesome now.

5. zissou

zissou Senior member

Hell yeah! (on the belt, not the prostate)

6. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I mean it's theoretically possible, but the calorie expenditure through cardio is much more inefficient than people think. For example, a 150 lb person would need to sprint at 10 mph for about 15 minutes straight (i.e. full sprint 2.5 miles) just to burn off a 270 kcal Snickers bar.

If you are looking to hit a deficit, you should usually do so through tweaking your diet. You can certainly do cardio, but it should be done most commonly for enjoyment or heart health.

Unless you think it's easier to full sprint 2.5 miles every time you eat a Snickers bar. :)

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

Don't know how this hasn't been said yet.

MOTHER FUCKING PALEO DIET

I get most of my carbs from this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnip_cake

hnnnnnnng makes vegetables taste like meat. Getting ready to eat some now. Dim Sum is the food of the gods.

8. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

If you think that tastes like meat then you need to have a serious word with your butcher.

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

Put loads of bacon in it. Makes the whole thing taste like bacon.

10. knucks

knucks Senior member

Had an assessment yesterday - wasn't told anything I didn't already know.

Need a whole core overhaul - need to make sure I keep my ribcage down on movements, stretch my lats (otherwise I hyperextend when going overhead). Also my right glute, tfl is all locked up which *probably* causes the lumbar to lock down as well.

Ugh.

11. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Was this an assessment from a PT?

The hyper-extension fault is a common one when going overhead, but if I'm honest, I don't think I've EVER seen it caused by overly tight lats. Usually it's a problem with either shoulder or thoracic spine mobility.

12. knucks

knucks Senior member

Yeah from a PT (personal trainer)

[​IMG]
    doesnt this look like she's hyperextended?

13. knucks

knucks Senior member

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

are you talking about their lower backs?

15. knucks

knucks Senior member

Maybe. I really don't know.

He told me as long as the ribcage is down it's okay.