Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

Couldn't record my squat. Did get overhead press and deadlift though:

Only managed four and two reps for the last two sets. 2.5 kg jumps for press is getting too heavy.

I've been getting a sore lower back again. Not sure if weak or related to technique. I experienced lower back pain before training which I suspect is the result of spending 10 hours a day sitting.

2. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Both seem to be set to private and won't play, at least for me.

3. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

Should be fixed now.

4. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

These are tough videos to judge as the angles are kind of funny, but two pieces of feedback:

- On the press, your elbows should start in front of your hands. It's not as extreme as a front-rack position, but you definitely don't want your elbows behind your hands. This will give you a tendency to push forward, rather than up, and will cause some problems.

- On the dead-lift, try to eliminate that jerking motion at the beginning. It's generally indicative of you not being fully tensed before you pull. If you've got everything locked down, that pull should be smooth.

Hope this makes sense.

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

:)

nope, no discomfort when lifting. post-workout they felt great, now they feel a little off. 9 times out of 10 i can hear/feel a click when i fully extend my right leg but there's no pain associated with it.

josh addressed this pretty well but as far as #2 goes, keep eating protein. you won't be lifting the exact same numbers when you get back after a couple weeks in my experience, but if you don't keep up on your diet expect yourself to shrink. it wont be catastrophic, but a good 2 weeks of lazy eating will be discouraging.

as far as changing exercises go, don't sweat it if your assistance lifts start to stall. i dont know how long you've been lifting or what your progress looks like, but you'll usually be making weekly progress on everything and that progress will eventually slow down and be limited to a few lifts improving a week at most. imo, as long as your main lift for the day has progressed, don't worry if you don't progress with your assistance work. ie, if your bench goes up 5lbs every week, dont sweat it if you're losing reps or staying at a constant weight/reps on skullcrushers. you may want to look at swapping out assistance work when your main lifts stall and this is dependent on where your lifts are weak; if your diet/sleep/whatever is in check and your bench stalls 3 weeks in a row right off the chest, then you should be doing some paused work to address that.

:slayer: thanks for this. seems like it could be applicable although the discomfort is on the inside of the knee. my work schedule keeps me out of my doctor's office so i'll have to see what they say at a walk-in.

looks good, like josh said don't jerk the weight off the floor but your deadlift is correct in the sense that your hips are locking out at the proper time. try to get a sideways-facing video to see if you are properly leveraged behind the bar. as far as the press goes, 2.5kg jumps are definitely too large and a pain in the ass to deal with. try to micro-load if you can - i have used multiple collars with tiny bits of chain/metal/whatever to serve as fractional weight increments. you may want to invest in a set of fractional plates as they are priceless when it comes to making progress on lifts like the press.

6. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I'm not sure how to match the losing strength statistic with real life experience, either. A two week hiatus seems to leave most people with soul crushing DOMS when they return while they move weights very close to or equal to where they left it off. Muscle memory makes it easier to get back to where one was, but it isn't the easy road the statistic would imply. I laid off the upper body for two months due to a bout with golfer's elbow and all upper body movements suffered in both 1rm and general endurance.

7. knucks

knucks Senior member

I had terrible knee pain last week when watching Dark Knight Rises. Just god damn awful.

They've felt a bit better now, still tightness in quads.

Decided to spend the money and get an assessment - my dude should be able to figure out which muscles are tight/weak/overactive, etc. Hope it helps because this sucks.

8. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Wide grip = more back than arms, curls won't do shit.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I'm in town for 3 weeks, so I started a big push on my bench, I'm trying to add at least 10 pounds to my bench in the next 3 weeks. then, in Nov I have another 3 week slot that I will be in the country to do the same thing. I am hoping that by my birthday in January I will be at a standard bench (5x5) of 220. not a bad goal for a 5 foot 5 45 year old man.

today spend 30 minutes on various work on pecs and tricepts, now I feel a very strong burn. plan to do this 4 times a week for 3 weeks and then back to my regular regimine.

10. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Started creatine loading today, probably just gonna say fuck it and go down to normal dosage because I felt sick after taking 20g and never had to do it before. I'd rather wait than load for another few days tbh.

Setting up a new diet tonight for bulking, hyped for fast as fuck gains.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

What do you bench now? That's quite an impressive goal

12. globetrotter

thanks. 205, theoretically 5X5, but usually 5X2, then I'll drop to 195 for 3x5. this fucker has been killing me, I set myself a goal about a year ago and I was sure I would hit it quickly and it has been really slow going. now I feel confidant that I am on the right track. the big trap of it is that I promised myself I wouldn't buy any clothes till I hit a group of goals, and this is the only one holding me up.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Damn.... I feel so beta now. Brb going to go bench

My butt lifts up when I bench. Dq right? Am I just too weak?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

14. globetrotter

seriously, don't ask me, like I said I've been struggling with this for a year and its been a fight for me. but good luck!

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Oh I was asking everybody. :) forum posting gets confusing