Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Senior member

my knee is really pissing me off and im getting kinda worried about it. no way around swimming on it, but i have been doing terminal knee extensions 2x a week and i still get random pains/clicks/very very mild burning sensations. still seems like a minor injury but its getting damn annoying. tried to front squat / good morning last thurs and nothing's changed. no big pain afterwards, but it didn't improve either.

:slayer: 8 gold medals around the corner, 10k cals at a time

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Terminal knee extensions? Sounds like a cartilage issue. How old are you Rudolph?

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

25. felt a pretty sweet pop when i was deadlifting a few weeks back and the discomfort has persisted ever since. i quite brilliantly altered my stance and foot angle a little without adjusting the weight on the bar

its only discomfort, but if there's a joint i do not want to fuck up its my knees so im being pretty cautious

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Where in the knee did you feel it and at what point in the movement was it? Do you have any idea where the pain/burning sensation is in relation to the structure of your knee? E.G. front, back, left side, center, etc..

Still no idea what a terminal extension is. :confused:

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

here

cant remember when in the movement, probably halfway up. felt it pop on the inside of my right knee, feel discomfort just above and below the knee on the left and to the right below the knee

6. Nikolo

Nikolo Senior member

Makes you look taller... or maybe it's because we can't see your short and stubby little ass legs.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I was waiting for you to do that. Seen them called by different names before. Never terminal.

Any discomfort when stretching? How about when doing any other leg exercises?

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

For the past couple months or so, I've been pretty diligent about working out and eating enough protein. The one thing I'm not too good at probably is getting enough sleep. Regardless, I've gotten noticeable gains (not a lot) but I'm starting to plateau, I feel.

I'm not getting as sore as I used to and I know if I take a week or two break, my soreness will become more intense.. but I also feel like I deflate a bit during those two weeks.

So, my questions:

1) If you're not sore, does that mean you're not experiencing muscle growth?
    2) Can you really become smaller if you don't work out for a week or two?
    3) Do I need to change up the exercises I'm doing? I pretty much stick to the same exact routine every single week and don't really vary how I work out my muscle groups. For example, I always lift barbells for biceps. For triceps, I always do a combo of skull crushers and triceps pulldowns with ropes. For pecs, I do decline bench presses, etc.

I'm also an ectomorph, so I have a narrow frame and an extremely fast metabolism and it takes a lot of effort to put on mass. Regardless, I've come a long way since high school *shudders at how skinny I used to be*.

9. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Why don't you try working hard so he gives you a good reference?

10. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

1. No. Most people experience soreness when the first start working out. Generally, once you've been working out regularly (read: 3-4 times per week) for a month or so, soreness declines considerably. Beyond that, certain types of lifting will lead to more soreness than others. High volume generally leads to more soreness, as does doing negatives more slowly. All in all though, you shouldn't judge how hard you've worked by how sore you are.

2. Once you've built any sort of base of strength, it takes a long time to lose that strength. I'm pretty sure Rippletoe quotes studies saying that a person who stops working out completely can expect to lose about 15 percent of their strength per year. You won't lose any noticeable strength by not working out for a week or two - however, you can expect to go right back to feeling really sore when you work out if you take that much time off.

3. I tend to have unpopular opinions on this, but I'll share this much. If you are only going to do a few exercises, that's probably fine, but you should focus on doing more compound lifts. Bench of strict press. Squat. Deadlift, etc.

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

Been resolved already, went to HR.

Switching to really wide grip pull ups, feels bad man. I can do like 15 with a grip a few inches apart, but arms really far past shoulder width I can get maybe 4 or 5. Means I'll have to start doing curls again.

12. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Not totally sure about this one - I was forced into 3 months off this summer and have only recently gotten back. Nowhere near what I was lifting in March/April. Bench alone makes me feel like a major DYEL.

13. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Agreed. Just quoting the only source I've read about this. How long have you been back at it? I suspect you'll find your strength comes back much faster than when you were first starting off. I recently had about 3 months off because of an international move. I've been back at it for about a month now, and am seeing things come back very fast. I expect to have my strength level back to where it was within another month or so.

14. ltr27

ltr27 Member

Have you been checked out for ITB syndrome? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome

I was having problems for ages with my knee when running and the doctor kept saying it was either the meniscus or cartilage. Anyway, was finally diagnosed by another doctor and had it fixed up by the physio. Haven't had a problem since.

Just one word of warning if it is the ITB, a lot of doctors will tell you to get an arthroscopy. Avoid this until you have seen a physio who can do dry needling. It's a bit of voodoo put it makes the ITB relax and alleviates the symptoms thus avoiding the need for surgery which should be your last resort.

15. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I've only been back in for two weeks (two days the first week and three this one). Squats and DLs are coming back fastest, but the bench is still pissing me off. I think I tried just a set to three at 185 and was sweating like a noob yesterday. Was maxing at 265 beforehand and throwing up 4x6 at 225.

[​IMG]