Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Senior member

some tasty looking bro-outs in here. do wish i would look like post-chest day pump 24/7. i have embraced the knee injury after an unsuccessful squatting attempt and am now abusing pullup volume. bane traps will happen

i think the issue is more of a random DYEL dicktree giving tips to someone who is lifting 3x what they do. bonus points for telling him something that is highly contextual and has zero relevance to what fooj was doing.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. knucks

knucks Senior member

learn something?

3. Saenek

Saenek Senior member

Soaking takes care of most of the problems people have with the skins I think. I add a little salt for flavor - just seasoning. Makes me want to go buy a big ass bag of almonds and make some almond butter.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

He also went on about how I really shouldn't lift in a belt and how it's gonna weaken my core. Thats a fine argument for squatting, discussed to death in this thread. I was using my belt to attach to hang a plate for weighted pull ups when he said that to me. Is this real life? He also thinks he's an MMA fighter or something, he's like 30% bf and smokes. brb running around him for 20 seconds until he gets gassed.

5. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

A hot pan, small amount of oil, almonds, salt, and cinnamon. Awesome.

6. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I dont have any good answers to this but I was advised of the same thing when I saw a spine doctor about my constant neck pain. In addition to PT, he suggested sleeping on a very soft, low pillow and trying to sleep on my side or back instead of stomach. It is tough but I am trying, I think it will make a big difference. I am more skeptical of PT, I just havent had great success with it for other issues.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

went to the gym, was warming up. 140kg felt heavy as fuark on the paused squat. Attempted 160kg, got 1 rep and then pinned on the second. Wtf man. Only had a few hours sleep, dropped the weight to 100kg and it just didn't feel right, went home and cried. Also gym is getting closed down on the first of August, got to go do induction for the new one. I hope its got retards, a box and a low incline bench.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  8. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

yeah its definitely a good thing don't get me wrong i just think i'm a chump compared to many others wrt my lifts

9. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Used chalk last night for the first time while doing deads. It was great as I was able to focus more of my attention on technique and the actual lifting of the weight, rather than worrying about the bar slipping out of my hands.

Dumb serious question - so the place I went to for chalk didn't have "Liquid Chalk" only the powder form, but it came in a big block. Can I assume the the proper way to use the block chalk is to break off a small piece and rub it between your hands?

After deads I just want to do some bro-curls and skull crushers and today my right elbow is pretty sore. Any thoughts as to whether or not this is just DOMS with some of the smaller muscles around the elbow, or could these motions be putting some adverse torsion on the ligaments in the elbow?

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

just grab the block and rub some on your hands

and unless your gym has a no chalk policy or some silly shit like that I recommend using it everytime you're in there - not only does it help you grip better it also fills up all the little crevices and shit that tends to form when you have big calluses on your hands and prevents them from tearing at least somewhat.

11. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Skull crushers are bad on your elbows, don't do them.

12. mrchariybrown

This is just plain wrong.

That's like saying squats are bad for your knees.

If you do them improperly and/or don't program them into your routine correctly, you can get injured but saying they're bad for your knees (elbows in the case of skullcrushers) is idiotic.

Skullcrushers, and variants of skullcrushers, are an awesome movement to use to increase tricep strength and size. Probably one of the best for triceps, imo.

13. gort

gort Senior member

I mean, if you're going to do OHP do it standing with a free bar. Feelsgoodman. I see this guy at my gym who does OHP seated at a smith rack and only brings the bar down to about his nose. Also grunts a lot when he does it and slams the weight down once he turns the hooks back in. He's tough.

14. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

No it's not; do lying bb tricep extensions instead of skull crushers.

A skullcrusher is a lying tricep extension with bad form.

There is a reason why pain from skullcrushers is so common, and it is not bad form; it is because of the way the load transfers through the elbow increasing chances of olecranon bursitis. Elbow pain following skullcrushers is generally due to a swollen bursa, and continued loading without proper recovery will lead to bursitis.

This is not comparable to squats in any way because with proper form squats don't transfer load through the body in a way that can cause injury.

Proper lying barbell tricep extensions allow the elbow to move which transfers the load differently through the joint and puts less pressure on the outer elbow, decreasing risk of bursitis significantly.

15. mrchariybrown

Did you read the rest of my comment? AND/OR the way you program it into your routine. Not going super heavy all the time and rotating them in and out of your routine will deter any pain.

Once I've got them into my routine correctly, no pain at all.

Works great for a lot of others too. This is not to say that it might not be the right choice for everyone but if you use them correctly, they're a great movement to use.

You put a blanket statement over them saying they cause pain. PERIOD. And that's completely false if you use them right. I personally know elite powerlifters that use them and they haven't dealt with any elbow issues that I know of.