Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

injury?

2. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I'm 26. :( I really am sure I'm not overtrained. I'm thinking of going back to SS and eating everything in sight. That made me get my best gains ever.

3. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

So let's start a discussion topic:

Which is more dangerous? Franchise gym personal trainers or crossfit?
    Which is more inefficient? Franchise gym personal trainers or crossfit?
    And finally, which is the bigger overall ripoff? Franchise gym personal trainers or crossfit?

4. javyn

javyn Senior member

I'm probably going to do this, but SS confuses me with how much weight to be using starting out. I may do a hybrid SS / StrongLifts since I like the idea of starting with the bar and adding plates every workout of StrongLifts, but 5x5 is just too much for me. May try that with 3x5.

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

1) Crossfit
    2) Franchise PTs
    3) Franchise PTs - the only way they stay in business is keeping people coming back. Crossfit (at least, as has been pointed out) yields "some" results.

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

steak is a better source of protein than whey - i would rather eat something that is constantly leaching amino acids into me over 10 hours as opposed to 1 hour. whey certainly has its place pwo or as part of a larger meal but if we're talking protein sources in general i would absolutely say that X g of steak > X g of whey.

7. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

I didn't think you were overtrained. I just think a big push to focus on hip mobility would make a tremendous difference for you.

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Man.. 2.1k calories at 40% protein 35% fat 25% carbs feels like a lot of food. I'm sorta having problems filling the calories because anything that is high in protein and sorta lean doesn't have much calories. What else should be my go to food besides; cottage cheese, yogurt, almonds, chicken, tuna, steak, shrimp, pork, broccoli, and peanutbutter?

9. APK

APK Senior member

Extra lean ground beef?

10. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Wat?

Are you making an argument about satiety? Or are you making an argument about protein absorption? Because either way you'd be getting the same amount of protein. I'd choose the steak for other reasons, but I don't think an argument based on protein absorption effectiveness is valid.

Protein has like 4 kcals/g, so I don't really understand what you're asking? Are you having problems with being too full to intake your required protein?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

11. APK

APK Senior member

So for as long as I can remember, I've had this occasional feeling under my ribcage on the left side like there's a slight bit of pressure being applied. I don't think it's a constant, or at least, I only sporadically am aware of it. And it doesn't hurt or even ache; it's just annoying and doesn't feel "right." When it is bothering me, it's especially noticeable if I'm lying on my back. If I press on the area, it almost feels like I'm moving a small band and there's a very quiet "pop" that accompanies the shift.

As I said, it's nothing new, but I've always wondered what it is. Any ideas?

12. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I have this exact same thing. No idea what it is.

13. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

I've been doing SS for just over a month. You got the book? I was 120 pounds initially so I started with the empty bar and took extra time to focus on technique. Not sure how you can be confused.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Russled some jimmies at work. Hobos broke into store and were trying to steal shit. Other staff members caught it. I went to look at it and started loling at pointing. His jimmies were clearly russled because he started screaming at me, pulled a syringe out of his pocket (probably for heroine not cell tech) and saying how he was gonna stab me with it. I went through the basic memes of you mad, come at me bro, do you even lift (don't think he lifted) to russle his jimmies more.

I haven't been able to lift since friday so trollings all I have.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

15. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Not all protein is the same. Bioavailability differs significantly based on source. This is just one reason why Soy isn't nearly as an effective protein - poor bioavailability, not a complete protein, phytoestrogens are reasons too.

Steak is always the better option. I've run experiments (only on my self, not on clients) for periods of time where my main source of protein x>75% comes from 1) whey, 2) lean sources such as chicken and white fish, 3) steak while keeping calorie intake the same, and output relatively the same as well. I found I was always able to hang on to muscle mass and strength better when leaning out for meets with steak significantly more so than either of the other two options.

Yes 1g of protein is going to have the same caloric load regardless of source, but a gram of protein differs significantly depending on source.