Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

You get the point

2. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Knees wide helps. Do you have trouble getting your knees to go out (rather than forward) in squats?

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

eason why dont you pull sumo? ive heard you rip on it before, but if you're having a hard time getting your hips low you can drop as low as you like in sumo with no problems

4. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

The issue here is that you are recovering incompletely between those work outs, right? You know how to recover. Either eat more or sleep more. Or change the program to allow more recovery. Or try to power through it, by overreaching, to increase your recovery ability. Are there other options?

5. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

That's because you're bending over too much with your back. Proper bar positioning causes your back to round because of it.

This feels better because you're using so much of your back. According to your scientific diagram it also causes you to go up on your toes and put a ton of extra stress on your knees.

You should never have your ass as high as you do in the left photo and be bent over so far. You should also be transferring the weight through your heels and not your toes.

Think about it this way. The way you deadlift, the moment created by the weight is being placed on your lower back as the lever. For every inch you are moving the bar away from your lower back, you are adding an additional 100% in-lbs to the moment. For example, look at the difference deadlifting 200 lbs would make by just moving the bar two inches further out:

200x10 = 2000 in-lbs
    200x12 = 2400 in-lbs

By moving it out two inches, you'd increase the torque on your lower back by 400 in-lbs. That's significant. And this doesn't even take into account the increasing localization of force due to moving it out (i.e. the further you move the bar out, the more you use the lower back and the less you use other muscles). So the force placed on the lower back is even greater.

Now, the proper way to deadlift has the lever being the ass, as the motion with proper form is primarily a driving forward of the hips. The reason people keep the bar as close to their shins as possible, often to the point of scraping, is to prevent overutilizing your lower back on the lift as that is exactly how you get injured doing it. It's also to keep the weight as close to the site of transferral (the heels) as possible to achieve proper weight transfer and minimise torsion (the moment created off the heel as the lever arm).

SCIENCE!

6. Flame

Flame Senior member

Recommend me what supermarket foods to snack in between meals? Hi protein, low gi carbs please.

7. rreffner

rreffner New Member

maybe try non-fat cottage cheese, beef jerky, hard boiled eggs (if they sell them boiled)

8. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

If you get Jerky it is mandatory to go the low sodium route. regular Jerky has an obscene amount of salt.

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

some kid cleaning 50 asked me for advice today as I was on my mid-session 10 min break. 5 mins later dude cleans 65 easy, told me that was a 7.5 kg PR. being nice to people is actually kind of cool you know

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Greek yogurt

11. Flame

Flame Senior member

Cool thanks guys.

edit:
    crap cottage cheese and greek yoghurt is damn expensive in singapore. 5 sgd for 100ml tub. GTFO.

12. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Obligatory progress pic for those interested:

[​IMG]

Up to 187 from 164. 6-pack is only really visible when flexed...guessing I'm sitting around 10-11% bf now.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

14. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I can PM those to you if you want. :inlove:

15. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

How long did that take? Lean bulk?