Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Buy your meats in bulk. Embrace the larger cuts that are cheaper. Cook the whole thing and freeze the rest. I just got 12lbs of whole pork shoulder from Costco for $24. Chicken breasts are $3/lb. Thighs are $2/lb. There's way to trim the bill down.

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Trying to cut so been eating chicken breasts but to get 200g protein I need 2lb chicken a day which is 6 right there (3/lb with rib bones on). I get a dollar and a half for veggies.

Chicken also is the cheapest source of non fatty protein I can find. Even cheaper than casein and whey or canned tuna

I never realized how crucial money can be until I started breaking down food costs.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

You can do better than $3/lb for breasts with the ribs. Definitely. Also, what's wrong with a slightly fatty protein? Eggs are cheap as shit. Pork is cheap as shit (even the lean cuts like tenderloin and chops). Gotta branch out a bit brutha.

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Eggs are like half fat. I used to make an omelette every morning tho with butter. But I'm in long island for a month and a half and don't have my beloved gear with me.

I hate not having my knives with me. I don't understand how people make meals with infuriatingly dull knives

I should look into pork. I'm sure I can braise it and skim the fat off the top

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Alright, first off you're going to have to cut out the chest work for a little while. In fact, all upper body work for 2 weeks. Even things like heavy squats and deads will have to go. I know, it sucks. But you need a fresh template to work backwards from. During those 2 weeks you rehab the shit out of your shoulders and upper back. 3x a week, minimum, plus daily stretching and icing.

At the end of the 2 weeks you see where you're at. If you still feel pain its most likely either a muscle tear, ligament damage, or a more severe structural imbalance that will take longer to heal and more specialized work. If its better, then you get back in the gym. You work your chest, back, and shoulders separate and on separate days. The first sign of pain, strain, or stress you stop and reassess. It could be something as simple as form, or it could be something as odd as your acromion shape.

6. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Completely agree! Cooking w/o my knives or equal can be very frustrating.

7. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I don't understand the need for sugar on oatmeal. I put old fashioned oats in a bowl, pour milk on, eat it. I enjoy the oat-y goodness and cold food is the quickest to eat.

8. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Why all the hate against fats? I get 100g+ a day lol.

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

Same man, my 6 egg, 100g of feta omelette has fuck loads of fat in it. Probably like 60g and I eat it everyday.

I don't really focus on diet much. Eat lots to get bigger, eat less to get smaller. Lift heavy throughout, make gains.

10. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

Did you track when you started?

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1. It tastes better to me without sugar, though I do prefer mine hot.

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

i would be screwed without fatty protein. same deal as fuji, 6 eggs a day + 4 strips of bacon tastes so good i dont think i could give it up even if i wanted to. lately i've been eating 2 tubs of cottage cheese a day - 1litre for 120g of protein and i swear to god my sweat smells like the stuff. so convenient though... i am the sodium monster

13. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Well hope everyone had a great weekend and got some training in. I had 700 lbs on my back for the first time and took it for a ride. Didn't hit depth (my back flared up about half way down so I came back up early) but it didn't crush me and I handled the weight. Good to know that my confidence is still there and my nervous system is still primed for heavy work. Onwards and upwards!

14. javyn

javyn Senior member

Did a Tabata KB swing interval yesterday, totaled about 100 swings. Kicked my ass, but I haven't exercised in any way for about a year. Need to get myself re-conditioned really quick (no reason, just arbitrary need). Tonight I will try Tabata Burpees.

15. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Careful. Not sure what sort of fitness level you were at before this year off, but don't expect to get yourself back there overnight. Pushing too hard after a year off gets you hurt. Patience and persistance are your best friends right now.