Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. virus646

virus646 Senior member

If you are capable of lifting x amount of weight, it doesn't means you're 100% right either. There's a lot of bros science on BB.com that comes from big guy with strong lifts. Basically, if you eat a lot and lift heavy, you're gonna get result even if you believe that it is because you ate 4-6 small meals for maximum protein synthetesis or w/e.

Sometimes people forget that a correlation doesn't means necessarily that it is the reason you believe that got you the result. Just saying that you still gotta check your source even if the guy is a big guy : p No hating on ironaddicts whatsoever.

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

If you are capable of lifting x amount of weight, it doesn't means you're 100% right either. There's a lot of bros science on BB.com that comes from big guy with strong lifts. Basically, if you eat a lot and lift heavy, you're gonna get result even if you believe that it is because you ate 4-6 small meals for maximum protein synthetesis or w/e.

Sometimes people forget that a correlation doesn't means necessarily that it is the reason you believe that got you the result. Just saying that you still gotta check your source even if the guy is a big guy : p No hating on ironaddicts whatsoever.

Ironaddicts is the opposite of bro-science, lol. Funny too because the 4-6 meals thing isn't specifically endorsed over there, either. I know what you mean though, all things considered it keeps the trash out.

3. virus646

virus646 Senior member

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

Btw, anyone got these tshirts by Alan Aragon? http://www.printfection.com/brainygear

Bought two just for the heck of it and for gym gear.

I would love a shirt that says "more curls, brah" or something to that effect

5. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

I started doing dumbbell bench presses instead of Barbell bench presses and I had to reduce the weight by 60lb, is this normal when switching to dumbbells?

7. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I started doing dumbbell bench presses instead of Barbell bench presses and I had to reduce the weight by 60lb, is this normal when switching to dumbbells?

Yes. If you do reps with 185 on a barbell it doesn't necessarily mean you can grab 2 90lb dumbbells and hammer some reps out.

8. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Yep... probably need to drop in the neighborhood of 30-50%. I can bench 240 but can only handle about 80lb dumbbells.

9. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Btw, anyone got these tshirts by Alan Aragon? http://www.printfection.com/brainygear

Bought two just for the heck of it and for gym gear.

Nice! Aragon's the man...

10. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Yep... probably need to drop in the neighborhood of 30-50%. I can bench 240 but can only handle about 80lb dumbbells.
    That's looney, I just switched from barbells to bench... I was doing 7-8 of 195, I was knocking out 8x85 easily; gonna try 90# Thurs 50%!!! That's crazy. I think people are limited by the amount of weight they can get off their laps, not what they can throw up.

11. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

And shoulder stability.

12. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

50%!!! That's crazy. I think people are limited by the amount of weight they can get off their laps, not what they can throw up.

Agreed with that... but that's the nature of the beast.

13. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

What is one food that you stay away from purely because it's really bad for you? Could taste great, but just not worth it, if you're training under a strict regimen (even on "eat anything you want days").

It sucks for me because it is just regular old candy like starburst, skittles, jelly beans, etc (fruit flavored candy primarily). Once I have just one or two I can't stop. So I just can't have any. All of this leftover halloween candy in the office...[​IMG]

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

Eat candy PWO with your shake, shit is full of maltodextrin and other goodies that wont have any real detriment due to your half-hour pwo window where insulin isn't affected or something like that. Broscience? I dunno, I just came from the gym and had a few sour patch kids with no guilt.

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

What is one food that you stay away from purely because it's really bad for you? Could taste great, but just not worth it, if you're training under a strict regimen (even on "eat anything you want days").

It sucks for me because it is just regular old candy like starburst, skittles, jelly beans, etc (fruit flavored candy primarily). Once I have just one or two I can't stop. So I just can't have any. All of this leftover halloween candy in the office...[​IMG]

Dude, three words for you.

Cyclical
    Ketogenic
    Diet

The weekly carb-load might help ease your sweet tooth if you have one. Just sayin'