Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Eason, are you using IF to bulk or to cut?

Also, you'll find it a LOT easier to get your calories in if you throw in some high-fat foods like peanut butter.

2. LM16

LM16 Senior member

I doubt the studies you've read about being non-responders is controlling variables in the least.

"They did aerobic activity"
    "They did not lose weight"
    "Therefore they are exercise non-responders"

Besides the fact that their VO2 max went up, their work capacity increased, and various other indicators that could be measured. They responded, the study simply wasn't tracking variables.

An exercise non-responder would by definition not have the ability to adapt physiologically.

3. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

+20/-20 recomp. I am not bulky enough to cut and not skinny enough to bulk so I think I'm a good candidate. Peanut butter is good BUT on lifting days I'm supposed to keep my fat low. :(

4. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Agree with more fat, but there are better options out there than peanut butter:
    - quality animal fat
    - tree nuts
    - avocado
    - olives/olive oil

5. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Eh, I'd say you're skinny enough to bulk. Key word being skinny. You don't need to be sub 8% bodyfat to actually warrant "bulking". That seems to be the new internet belief of the week. I'm not saying get fat, you can probably maintain your bodyfat level and continue to add size for quite some time without too much trouble whereas if you simply flip flop back and forth on ideas you're overall progress will be minimal. The idea of recomping is great, and doable, but it tends to be much more doable when you actually have some decent muscle mass.

6. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I'll see what happens after a week. Basically I felt that doing carb-loading bulk didn't really get me anywhere except feeling fatter. I did get some good PR's of 255 x 3 on bench, but I didn't like that my muscle wasn't visible.

7. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

It also sounds like it's a huge pain in the ass, but really it isn't once you get used to it. Weighing my foods adds maybe an extra minute to food prep time.

And for those needing a good bulk shake:
    40g oatmeal
    60g unsalted peanuts
    12oz 1% Chocolate Milk
    2 scoops whey
    5g creatine monohydrate
    .5 tsp cinnamon

Grind up in a blender and chug....absolutely delicious. Macros come to: 77.6 g(P) 86.7 g(C) 43.2 g(F) 1003.0 Cal

8. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Put your carbs where you need them. There are many different ways to bulk, and variable carb levels to do it on. A lot of that is individual, if you don't respond well to a lot of carbs then simply up the fats and lower the carbs to hit your caloric levels.

9. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Thanks for all the good input on building core strength. Took the opportunity to do some more core work at the gym today. Two observations:

1. Had not been doing planks correctly. I was keep my head down which was causing my hips to arch and tilt upwards. Keep my head more forward really helps me hit the core more. 30 seconds went from a breeze to much more challenging. I think I am also bursting blood vessels in my head or something, after planking, I get a headache and feel a little light headed when I stand up. I hope this is okay.

2. PT suggested doing one-legged RDLs to build core strength - I would encourage others to try it - really rips the core. Was standing on one leg, holding a 15lbs weight, bend over at the hip and lift back up. She has me doing them on one leg because I rehabbing my right side, I guess if you dont have that issue, two legs may work just fine.

10. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Nope and nope.

Studies have regularly shown reported gains in VO2max ranging from almost 0% to 50%, previously this has been attributed largely to differing levels of compliance.

Recent studies for example The HERITAGE Family Study:
    HERITAGE --Genetics, Response to Exercise, Risk Factors, showed a similar range of variation with 15% of people being super-responders, 20% being non-responders and a steady variation between the two. The study not only carefully monitored compliance but was able to show genetic differences between the two groups. Amongst other genetic markers, the muscle form of the creatine kinase gene (CKM). A DNA sequence variant in this gene was shown to be associated with the trainability of VO2max. "about 30% of the low responders (the lowest decile of delta VO2max) were homozygotes for this variant while there were no homozygotes among the high responders (upper decile).

The study is robust has been continuing since 1995 and has numerous publications in peer reviewed journals. Check the link
    http://www.pbrc.edu/heritage/publications.html

11. LM16

LM16 Senior member

I was using VO2 max and work capacity as just two examples. The point I'm trying to make is that someone that does not have the ability to adapt at all to it's environmental stresses will not survive, this is the case in nature just as it is in humans. There will be some sort of adaptation from a stimulus. Yes some people are more likely to build muscle, lose fat, etc. based on various genetic factors. But to say point blank that a person is incapable of responding to some sort of stimulus across ALL measurable factors would be ignorant in my opinion.

An issue, as you mentioned is compliance, not necessarily to the program adhered but compliance to minimizing variables. Which is one reason we use mice/rats for study because we can control that to a much larger degree with minimal moral qualms. If someone trains for X weeks, but does not sleep, and does not eat enough calories, a study could say that exercise actually inhibits progress when in reality it's not so much that exercise was the problem, but the other variables that were allowed to creep into the study. This is a very large issue with health related science versus other fields of science.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  12. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Shorthanded terminology used inside studies often does not translate well into real world use. No one would dispute this with you.

13. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I agree with most of this and never stated otherwise, but it's a very far cry from

Or

Which is basically just ignorance.

The take away point is that some (quite a large minority apparently) don't respond as well to exercise as others and a significant minority hardly respond at all.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012