Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Dapp

Dapp Senior member

Haha, pretty much. Thought it was an article at first too.
    I do respect and follow the Starting Strength forums because they're actually grounded in reality.

2. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Lolling hard at people saying they're too busy. 80 hour work week checking in here.

3. Dapp

Dapp Senior member

You and my dad both. He still gets up at 4:30 to bike/run every morning. Dedicated haha (and he's 51).

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

srsly. social circle miring at my laughable semi-4 pack while stating how jelly they be about my metabolism. yes, my metabolism is a unique entity wholly unaffected by my actions and my state of fitness certainly has nothing to do with the fact that i eat off a food scale and lift 4x a week. durr, i wish i could eat a whole pizza on the weekend and not get fat jarude, dat metabolism.

i get that dieting and lifting has to be a passion pursued consistently for anyone to get anywhere with it but come on.

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Jarude can you comment on your diet experience with john? I just started and I think I'm doing the same diet as you. Going to lean out first then put on the weight.

If anyone cares here's the breakdown of my first day trying to eat 2.1k calories 40/35/25. Sorta happy with myself.. I need to get a scale.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

The two things I hear the most:

1. You look the way because you have good genetics.
    2. Well you look the way you do because you don't have a life and other priorities like I do.

I proceed to tell them if they'd stop dicking around with their diet and doing nothing but Kegel exercises at the gym they might not be so unpleasant to look at.

7. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

Cal Strength uploaded a mini series on how to snatch and clean in case anybody wanted to see.

8. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I'm not saying I'm too busy, just if you have nothing else to do with your time, it's not that hard a leap to imagine you making way faster gains than most people.

Lol this is some straight up troll level stuff. MOST people do not start out benching 150lbs. I know this is the internet and we've all olympic gold medaled in weight lifting, but come on now. Most people probably start -30lbs from bw, from what I've seen of the newcomers at my various gyms.

9. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Mike the Situation doesn't do SHIT and he looks horrible lol. The people who look good are those who put effort into it REGARDLESS of what other commitments they have.

Only if you literally did nothing athletic growing up. Also, -30lbs from bw is 140 for a lot of newcomers...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  10. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

Being a newbie I was hesitant to post this, but I thought it might help:

I decided from the beginning to shoot for 30/40/30 while doing SS. I worked out my diet beforehand and I eat the same thing everyday of the week, though I rotate through a few different dinner meals. I tried logging at the end of the day but that didn't work at all. I found I had to plan my shit beforehand and just stick to the same foods. I logged my typical day and left it at that until I needed to increase my calories. Then I would log another typical day to see what adjustments I had to make. I used FitDay initially but switched to myfitnesspal because the interface, database, and ability to input macros beforehand made it more useful for me. For example, you can input 40/25/35, and on the food log page it displays how close you are to each target.

Re planning your meals to achieve those macros: I plan, plan, plan, input it into myfitnesspal, then adjust the ingredients until I hit my macros. So, if I put in a recipe, e.g. chilli con carne, and I'd overshot my carbs, I'd add more meat into the recipe, possibly reduce the beans, until I hit my targets. It's just a matter of adjusting the ingredients until you get what you want. I'm doing SS so this shit doesn't matter so much for me, but I was interested so I looked into it. Also, you'll need a digital scale.

Reading over this it all sounds like common sense. I'm always the one bugging people here and asking questions so I thought I'd try answer a few for a change.

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Thanks. It is common sense but it helps to see someones procedure. I'm sorta stubborn and always though I could do it without a scale and willy nilly. But I'm serious this time and wana do it right.

12. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I don't know who this is, and we're not saying opposing things. I'm talking about making gains on lifts, not really aesthetics. If all you did was train (or do things to enhance your training: just eat and sleep) it's not that crazy to see the gains fuji's making.
    We grew up in very different crowds, because I know very few people who weighed 170 before they started working out seriously, or if they do they're just fat 170s. And no, I've been a 3-sport athlete all my life, but that's where genetics and lifestyle play a big factor.

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

I can't bench press body weight now lol, well maybe, but only for a few reps. Prob because I never train it and it's most likely lower then my incline db bench, which is 40kg per arm. Always secretly jelly when anyone benches 2 plates and even though I can squat that for like 20 it still feels bad man.

Been eating 100g of feta, 6 eggs (back to american master race ones now) and 2 pieces of rye bread every day before bed for like a month now and its still delicious.

14. Nikolo

Nikolo Senior member

What's the consensus on turkey breast? I have read a couple different things that you can get a lot more protein than chicken breast, so I was wondering if it is even worth buying for a while?

15. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Where have you read this? There's nothing wrong with turkey, but I can't imagine any basis for the claim that you can "get a lot more protein than chicken breast." Pound for pound, turkey and chicken breast are pretty similar. They are both very lean sources of protein. Eat turkey if you like turkey. Eat chicken if you like chicken.