Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

dont think it really matters, I'd go with whatever you're comfortable with. just as long as the grip is secure.

idk if hook gripping is great for pl stuff, pretty much mandatory for OL to keep the arms loose to get a better pull and turnover.

also weighted planks are pretty awesome. did some w/ 65 kg the other day and it was pure fucking torture from second 1 onwards. my coach regularly prescribes shitloads of front squats for anyone asking for ab work.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. jarude

jarude Senior member

i was told to get on hook grip asap since pulling sumo with mixed grip will make the bar swing outwards. i dont have an opinion either way really, coach says do hook grip so i do hook grip. i only asked about the thumb thing since the bar was dropping right on my thumb which made it feel like it was gonna tear out of its socket, i guess all's well though

plus i wanna be super cool oly dude one day so starting now would be prudent

3. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Weighted planks are a good place to start. You don't have to feel a terrible burn for something to be working kind of like gonorrhea - doesn't have to burn to still be transferable.

Core strength can absolutely limit your big lifts - right now mine is limiting my deadlift. Once you can progress past weighted planks easily enough front squat holds (with loads greater than your front squat max) for 10-30 seconds are great for helping develop core stabilizing strength. Hanging leg raises are also your friend.

4. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Appreciate the input. The PT for my hip/groin has definitely been a sobering experience but hopefully I come out the other side with stronger lifts. Glutes were so sore from PT exercises that sitting down had to be navigated carefully (TWSS?).

5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

+1 for high-rep front squats hitting the abs. I've got the ab strain to prove it.

6. javyn

javyn Senior member

Hell, when I was back squatting it helped my abs even.

7. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

depending on how quick you're looking to make the switch you might want to look into squatting hb and pulling with a clean style dl. just to make it easier eventually. ofc ex knows this shit so who am I to pass advice.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Solid 9/10 at the gym today. Looked like kate beckinsale, but with bigger tits. Was wearing a full face of make up and talking to everyone so I assume she's a sloot. Started bicep curling in front of me whilst I was doing incline db press, legit forgot how many reps I did and whats usually my 5rm felt really light, dat estrogen in the air.

I should really start front squats again, don't know if I can front squat whilst PRing paused box squats twice a week. Might just do front squat holds again.

9. Dapp

Dapp Senior member

I thought I was in this situation last week. I always work out at night when it's less crowded, so everything is a little darker inside, and across the room I thought I saw a fine honey. Amazing body, even from semi-close I thought the same. She started doing that little ab machine where you pull weight while scrunching your body up (close enough: http://www.nellies.com/images/T/Gab300.jpg) and of course she was wearing a thong and looking over every couple reps. Was disappointed to see her leave, then when I went to the locker room briefly I saw her under better light in the lobby and I would like to say she had a nice face, but I only saw a layer of cake. Pretty sure it was covering something unfortunate. Oh yeah, it seems she had a boyfriend as well. Slooooot.

Good work on the 5rm though haha.

10. Dapp

Dapp Senior member

If you can, L-sits FTW. If you can't do them on the ground, you can use dumbbells, build parallettes out of PVC, or use a dip-machine while you progress. I'm on the club gymnastics team and those are brutal. You can search around on gymnasticbodies.com and you'll find a bunch of useful stuff on progressions - I can tell you the progression if you're interested, but I'd definitely recommend it. Really humbling haha.

11. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Found out my MCAT score (36T, good enough for me to not retake), am getting better at keeping my posterior chain activated during squats so the bar doesn't feel like dead weight on my deltoids (doing box squats really helps me get the right tension for some reason), all in all good day.

12. Dapp

Dapp Senior member

Good work! What schools you looking at?

Squatted for the first time in about 2 weeks last night. My legs and knees were really achy for a while, so I think the break did good. Took it easy with 225 and it felt great. Going to start loading back up. Hoping to push my squat and DL back over 300 by end of August.

13. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Your progress may also be hampered by dead-lifting twice per week. I know you are a beginner, and aren't lifting anything THAT heavy, but if you are truly dead-lifting close to your personal max, once a week is really enough. I think most coaches would tell you that dead-lifting requires much longer recovery than squatting or pressing movements. This is more significant when you are pulling really heavy weights, but still... I wouldn't dead-lift heavy more than once per week.

14. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

As has been said, building core strength should improve all your major lifts.

As far as building core strength, if you really do have horrible core stability, various static holds are a great way to start building some: planks, side planks, reverse planks, L-holds, V-holds, and hollow holds. Any of these can be done weighted, but I'd suggest starting unweighted until you can hold for 4-5 minutes. The trick with any of these is that they only work if you do them properly. In each of these, you are looking for a flat lumbar spine. For instance, common deviations from a good plank include extension at the lumbar spine, which will cause the hips or belly to sag toward the ground, or flexion of the lumbar spine, which happens when the athlete starts raising their hips up.

It helps to understand that the principle purpose of your core muscles is to keep your lumbar spine locked down and static while the rest of your body is moving. This both protects the lumbar spine, and allows for the more effective transfer of kinetic energy from the lower body to the upper body.

Once you've got strong static holds - again, in the 4-5 minute range - adding weight is an option. Another, perhaps stronger option is to introduce movements that teach you to keep your core engaged and your lumbar spine locked down while the rest of your body is moving. Overhead squats and overhead lunges are great examples, as are Turkish get-ups and hollow rocks.

With all of this, really focus on good position. The goal is always to engage your core so as to keep the lumbar spine in a neutral position.

15. Dapp

Dapp Senior member

4 - 5 minutes?! Maybe for a plank variation, but definitely not for an L-sit and definitely not for a V-sit - assuming you are talking about the gymnastics variations. Holding it for that time total is impressive enough, much less doing it in one go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]