Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

As a beginner I don't think you should use straps. I think its fine for more advanced people to use them.

Was miring my bicep peak today. Pull ups are really bringing it up. Dat huge volume hnnnng.

Some really fat girl keeps posting on fb about muay thai and how effective it is for street fighting on fb and how she wants to go to thailand and train for it. Also how spiritual it is and shit. It's like bish your 40lb overweight, can you even raise your leg? I hate when fat people get really into exercising and feel the need to tell everyone about it. I would like to see her fight though. Be like when the Romans got hippos and shit to fight.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Tell me about it. Girl on my fb always on about P90x yet she gets fatter and fatter every time I see her.

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I thought the quotas were decided in the panamerican champs, or was that the one you were talking about

too bad all the wild cards went to asia/pacific, so zero of my countrymen on the platform in london. well, maybe rio then.

sounds ideal

4. dune

dune Senior member

Apparently the Romans set pigs alight and drove them towards the enemy lines. That might be something she could do?

5. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Should be interesting for you oly lifters.

[VIDEO]![/VIDEO]

6. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

lold at squeaky sfx for fatty at 1:46

7. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

use straps

unless you are competing in powerlifting, grip strength is not something you should be overly hung up on

with that being said, if you are not deadlifting a lot now could be a good time to get your hook grip down, shit works wonders

9. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

There's no consensus. Personally, I'd do overhand grip until i can't anymore, then reverse grip until i can't anymore, at that point i'd probably use straps but i've given up deadlifting heavy. Also, high rep-dumbbell rows to also train grip strength. In general, grip strength is a good thing to have.

And, on a purely pragmatic level, you won't always have straps around so it's probably better to train without them until you can't possibly anymore (also how i feel about belts and such).

10. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

im deadlifting twice a week right now, and sort of feel progress is being hampered by a weak grip..Tried to get hook grip in place today, but it feels weird, like my thumb risk being dislocated...

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

it'll be uncomfortable for a couple of wks and after that its no biggie

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

Going to hit the squat rack tonight. Feeling too good from almost a month of megadosing chroella algae, 10-15g a day. I need to burn off some of this energy.

13. LM16

LM16 Senior member

To be fair, an improved grip can improve every lift not just deadlift. So having grip being a limiting factor is something that even those not competing in powerlifting might at least consider bringing up to par so as to improve their overall self. Even if you don't hook grip, a stronger grip helps improve neurological efficiency in almost every lift and some people simply won't be able to hook grip.

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

yeah hook grip will suck big when you start, i just started training it and it feels like my thumb will fall off. ol'ers, should the thumb above the knuckle be parallel to my fingers or should i be pulling my thumb as far into the centre of my palm as i can? ive noticed i can already fit 3 fingers over whereas when i started i could only do 2.

15. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

According to my PT, I have horrible "core stability." This is after I struggled to do non-weighted squats and minimal weight RDLs on one leg. She suggested weighted planks which dont seem to induce a great burn in my abs but I will give them a go. It may sound stupid but I wonder if building core strength this way will significantly improve my lifts. I figured go in the other direction and improve core strength by increasing weight on my lifts.