1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. deadly7

deadly7 Distinguished Member

I did say that I wanted to target my abs for a while so they catch up to my legs.

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

Still pretty weak. @169lbs bodyweight squat is 260 deadlift is 290. I feel like a bitch complaining that my lower body is getting too big yet I'm not putting up huge numbers. But honestly I think I'm fine calling it a day with 100 lbs + bodyweight squat and deadlift. Maybe this means I should diet? Because I am no way cut at all.

3. APK

APK Distinguished Member

Seems like you've done everything you can not to take accountability for your food choices. And when you have concerned yourself with diet, you've indulged in the quick fixes like that carb backloading diet that you stuck with for, what, a couple of weeks before abandoning with the reasoning that genetics are too blame.

It sucks to be one of those guys who needs to actually track his food and make smarter food choices if he doesn't want to look like a bloated POS. But it sucks more to be a bloated POS...

I mean, take a look at a dude like knucks. Guy is a beast, but he dieted down earlier this year, and unless I'm mistaken, he tracked calories and macros throughout. It's a bit tedious, but so is spinning your wheels because you don't wanna own up to the more difficult option.

4. Coldsnap

Thanks APK, I can always count on you to make me feel like shit :slayer:

I hear you though. Honestly being where I am at would not have been possible without my food choices. My friend really helped me out when I was a skinny guy at 135lbs and told him I wanted to be big, he pretty much said you have to get fat first. So now that I'm at this point (I actually lost bodyfat, I was 135lbs 22% bodyfat when I started, now 170lbs 17-18% BF) maybe it is time to start dialing back the knobs on my diet. The thing is though I don't

A)Want to loose bulk (My mass has = me to look big which I love, I'm scared I will look like a DYEL bro if I start really cutting)
    B) Don't want to eat super low carb (this makes me feel miserable)
    C) Don't want to have to eat extremely time sensitive meal, right now I am skipping breakfast because I really liked that when i did CBL

Not to mention the fact that I absolutely know 0% about dieting and don't know what resources to choose.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Distinguished Member

Just keep bulking your upper body and maintain your lower body and then cut.

If you're a medium size shirt now @ 170/18% you're going to lose the mass that you want, especially given your lower body measurements.

6. Coldsnap

I think you're right. I always get to that conclusion when I start thinking about cutting... that where I'm at right now if I cut specifically for my lower body than my upper body (since it's always behind) is going to get skinny.

How does one maintain strength? For squats and deadlifts I do 3 x5 up to 85% first week, 3 x 3 up to 90% second week, and 5 3 1 up to 95%.. I guess I could never up my maxes for a few months and get more efficient at what I'm lifting now. This will also let me address some thorasic spine mobilization in my squat because when I hit 95% my form isn't as perfect as I'd like.

7. knucks

knucks Distinguished Member

Pics of you, Coldsnap? Nohomo.

170? How tall again?

8. knucks

knucks Distinguished Member

still dumb

9. GraphicNovelty

Maintain strength by keeping your work weight the same. Just figure out what works. Since you're not trying to gain it's pretty easy to figure out what your groove is. Don't worry about percentages--instead think "okay, what's going to make me feel fairly tired at the end of the last set."

Here's an upper-body-focused routine from bb.com that I used to decent results:

Do this and you'll put on some nice upper body mass.

10. Coldsnap

170 5'7

took a quick snap
    [​IMG]

@GraphicNovelty I'm a huge fan of working with %s. I've done this since the olympic lifting days and now powerlifting. The people that go into the gym and do what they feel like doing usually make slow slow progress.

11. GraphicNovelty

But your goals are different--you're using more volume in order to put on mass. So now it's a game of lifting as heavy as you can while maintaining the volume/good form. There's no "formula" to that--you do your last set of db rows or something with 5 more lbs and try and get 10 reps, but if you can only do 8, then you go for 10 the next time.

Most bro lifters who do whatever and have big upper bodies but have chicken legs still have big upper bodies. You think they're measuring % of 1RM for bicep curls?

As for your lower body, you're not trying to make more progress, you're trying to just keep what you have.

12. deadly7

deadly7 Distinguished Member

This is very constructive and I thank you for your feedback.

13. fuji

fuji Distinguished Member

I hate impromptu spotters. Brah if I miss the rep on db incline ill drop the dbs, im not gonna get crushed, I don't need your help or your advice. He then talked ot me for like an hour about how I should do high reps to tone, and breath more. How are you supposed to breath when your lifting heavy? Loose all the tightness. He then spoke to me about how he used to be 2 stone heavier and curled 40kg dumbbells. Was like brool story co. Up to sets of 9 easily on pull ups and got 40kg for 5x5 on db incline bench, solid work out.

I disregard percentages.

14. APK

APK Distinguished Member

Not trying to make you feel like shit. It's just that you've expressed displeasure with your body comp on and off for several months and it seems like you're just chalking it up to poor genetics instead of your diet.

It sounds cliche, but hire John from Iron Addicts if you're spinning your wheels. Plenty of guys here train under him and will speak highly of his services. Moreover, if you check out the testimonials on the site, you'll see he's great at guiding you toward your specific goals. There's a good mix of dudes who wanted to improve their lifts and guys who just wanted those aesthetics. And so long as your blood work is in check, people under John get results if they follow what he lays out for them.

15. fuji

fuji Distinguished Member

What Johns gives you dat der when you hire him?