1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

No way around it really.

Want to know a secret? Every time I get stronger and bigger, my training sessions grew longer due to more movements, sets, reps, and rest periods. Now I'm not saying this is linear but I used to have sessions that lasted 45 minutes to an hour. Now, it's about 1.5-2 hours each.

2. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Well-Known Member

Hyper-extension of the lumbar during squats can be caused by any number of things. Try some air squats. If it happens with even unweighted, then it's probably compensation for a mobility problem somewhere else - either in the hips or in the thoracic. If the hyperextension only happens at higher weights, then it's more likely a strength issue caused by a week core. The front of your core (abs) are your anti-extension muscles, so adding in anti-extension exercises should help - plank holds, hollow holds, hollow rocks, GHD sit-ups.

3. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

I was bench pressing yesterday and I accidentally rotated my shoulder causing a weird motion, now it hurts a little.

It feels like I slept on it, would it be a bad idea to work out today? I will be doing pushing exercises.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I find working out with music distracting, am I alone?

4. joshuadowen

Hard to say exactly what has happened to your shoulder, but it would be silly to do more pressing exercises today if it's still bothering you. I'd do some shoulder mobility/warm-up type work, and then leave it alone and do something else.

5. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

Yeah I know, just thought maybe someone would convince me it was okay to work out. Lol

I'm not even sure how to describe what happened, but it was weird. I has a tingling pain.

6. joshuadowen

It sounds like one of the tendons or ligaments in your shoulder rolled over the nerve. Does the tingling extend to your hand? This is the sort of thing that usually sorts itself out. I'd roll through that arm and shoulder and do some mobility work.

7. noirwest

noirwest Well-Known Member

I've done that that before, although I felt more pain when it happened. I'm not entirely sure what I did to it (i suspect a little tear in the rotator cuff) but I wasn't able to do bench or any other chest exercises for about 3 months. I'd recommend laying off chest work for a few weeks and do the exercises mentioned here to get your shoulder back to normal: http://www.criticalbench.com/bench-press-blowout.htm

8. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

It doesn't extend to my hand, only in the shoulder.

9. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

Thanks man! I hope I don't have to sit out for three months though. :( I've lost enough mass already.

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

where to buy fractional plates?

11. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

You posted something about buying jean sweat pants right?

I'd stay away, they look ugly. Not that you were asking for my opinion but I think you can find something more stylish.

12. Coldsnap

Yea, haha it was more of a joke. Seriously tho one day if we all keep gaining we will be wearing sweatpants. One of the dudes I train with is 5'7 300lbs and exclusively wears sweatpants. I'm looking at some 1937 Levi Repros.

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Well-Known Member

Had my first squat workout in the Reebok Crossfit Olys yesterday. I felt they made a big difference in stability coming out of the hole on my worksets.
    I also felt the added stability during (overhead) presses, but not enough to make or break a rep.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  14. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Well-Known Member

15. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, when everyone talks about shoulders rotating they're joking, right?

Typed from internally rotated shoulders.

16. Coldsnap

Ah sweet, need a pair of 1.25lb. I will only use it on overhead press, anything else I feel would be silly, but on the press i can def feel the extra 3 lbs when nearing 90%+

17. Coldsnap

Ah sweet, need a pair of 1.25lb. I will only use it on overhead press, anything else I feel would be silly, but on the press i can def feel the extra 3 lbs when nearing 90%+

18. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

19. Coldsnap

Yea. going to get those plates.

I'm looking at two bedroom apartments this week, i live in a one bedroom apt with my girlfriend right now. Really looking foward to having more space to stretch and whatnot. I'm going to make some changes too, throwing the couch away and just using a really thin futon mattress on the ground to lay out while watching TV. Leaving my herman miller at work and making a standing desk. no more sitting, fuck sitting.

20. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

Stretching x2 a day feels good. Can ATG air squats now no issue.

Brb squatting with bruise on hip.

ASOS. cheap , trashable and mid quad. don't shell out for shorts bruh.