1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

I'm loving my bodybuilding split, high rep lateral raises and rear delt flys feel amazing. Only thing i'm not enjoying is high rep squats. Sets of 12 with 225lb and very short rests feel shit, just holding onto the bar for that long is annoying. Everything feels more full though, mainly hip flexors, hamstrings (dem 15 rep RDLs feel good man) and upper back muscles even though my pull ups have gone down, but that could be because of the very short rest periods. Only did strength training for over a year so results should be good.

Saw someone at the gym super setting bodyweight squats, kipping pull ups and back extensions whilst wearing a gas mask. So many crosstards at the military gym. Also had some sickening sleep paralysis today. Had my post workout nap, realised I was dreaming, decided to wake up and it felt like someone was sitting on my chest and I couldn't move, scary as fuck. Also PHAT is a great hypertrophy program, why you no like?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

My posture problems have existed since before lifting and have not gotten any worse aside from increased internal shoulder rotation due to an early and recurring imbalance in chest/back workouts that I recently corrected.

Also, I do stretch, I just don't do warm up sets when I lift.

3. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

EXPLAIN YOURSELF

4. Khayembii Communique

It's pretty self-explanatory. I know, blasphemy.

5. amathew

amathew Well-Known Member

6. Khayembii Communique

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

You def don't have complete mobility right when you walk in the gym. If your good you train in mobility that is past your usual level, to do this you have to open the area, warm it up, and stretch it.

8. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

How much you weigh? Those are good numbers, definitely start some hypertrophy work yesterday.

9. stinger70

stinger70 Well-Known Member

I always find it weird when people walk straight into the gym, straight on the bench and start with their working weight.

Also pilot your arms are not that small but you seem to have a total lack of back width i think thats why you dont look aesthetics.

10. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Agree with this.

Arms don't look disproportionately small. They could be bigger, but it doesn't look bad at all as it is. What makes you look a bit unaesthetic is the lack of a V-taper. I don't know if your high numbers in the squat and DL makes your core big, but either way a short cut and bigger lats wouldn't hurt.

Now I'm not even remotely close to having good numbers yet, but I thanks to being 6'3 and skinny prior to lifting I look pretty fit. I've noticed I easily build size in lats, delts and thighs. My arms are still pretty tiny though at 13.5-ish. Already starting to get problems with pants at 23" thighs [​IMG]

11. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Getting a massage when you have bad back doms is a bad idea :fu:

12. stinger70

stinger70 Well-Known Member

conceptionist you need to get your arms to about 16" to look decent at your height i reckon. Mine just scrape 15 and they look acceptable when they get pumped, i would guess that adds half an inch or so. I'm scared to cut because they are the first part of me to shrink lol.

Did some knee height rack pulls today instead of deads. Found them almost as hard for some reason, only just managed 4 reps at 150kg, probably do more with straps though. Found it a less natural movement. I need to start some conditioning because i struggle to make it through a workout now.

13. Coldsnap

God damn you guys are some vain motherfuckers.

14. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

nah man you need a 17" head circumference to be vain at your height

15. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

I swear your on a hypertrophy program trying to get your upper body jacked? Only way not to be vain is to do what I did for months and only do box squat doubles, hip flexors got aesthetic as fuck.

16. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Conceptionist nailed it..bring up them lats and you'll be looking good. Head on over to the pull-up thread, widen your pull-up grip, and start cutting in April and you'll look great by July.

17. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

:tounge:

18. Coldsnap

I got 12.5" biceps.. i could probably use another inch or so on them but w/e. I tried to do the whole arm hypertrophy thing and felt retarded. My assistance work is a lot of high rep stuff now so I guess I am hitting that hypertrophy in some areas. My biceps and forarms feel like they get enough work with heavy deads, bent over rows, pullups, and facepulls.

Someone wrote me a diet and I've been following it for the past 3 weeks. Feel great, going to gain 10 lbs to 185 then cut down to 175.. Is that how bulking / cutting works? You just bounce back and forth hoping to continue to be bigger when you are lighter each cycle?

LOL

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  19. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

If you have 12.5" biceps at 175 pounds you most certainly aren't getting enough work from deads, rows, pull-ups, and facepulls.

Bulking and cutting works best if its slow and long-term. The typical bulk is 6 months of gaining .5-1lb a week and the typical cut is 4 months of losing 1-1.5lbs a week. The net gain is a few pounds each year but ideally you are significantly stronger and bigger with minimal body fat at the end of the cut.

20. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

I think today is the first workout i've done in my life where the reps never went below 12. Ramped up to 12 strict form reps with 90lb on db rows, feels good man. Yes used straps. Based on the photos of the guys whose bodies you want yours to look like you will need to do more arm work, if it makes you feel better curls help with elbow health and tricep work will help with your lock out, wendler promotes like 100 rep sets of tricep push downs to keep your elbows happy. Had a massive fight with my ex gf on new years about her drug use, she got really upset. Was making mash potatoes and one of the potatoes I was peeling was heart shaped, took a photo of it and sent it to her, gettin bishes 2k13.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013