Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. LM16

LM16 Senior member

I think for beginners a bit more of a hard-line is beneficial. I coach 220 kids and get athletes of a wide variety of coordination and skill and even at the highest level (I have a lot of nationally competitive and US Junior National team kids) they are still not quite sure what they want or need to determine whether something is suitable for their goals that are at best loosely defined when it comes to lifting. So I am the overseer that guides their path and their "opinions" generally don't matter though I absolutely ask for feedback in particular how hard something is, anything that may be injury related and general feedback as to whether or not they get the feel of it. New lifters truly do need to just stick to the basics and build a solid base. Forget the advanced techniques, the equipment, the supportive gear, and just have them lift and get compound movements in until they have a base and a working knowledge of how the lift needs to feel and look. If you're squatting less than 315, you don't need advanced techniques you just need to fricken lift and eat. I think at times some strength coaches forget this and get so excited about the use of bands and chains and other various implements that they forget the basics. As was the point of my previous post I do use some implements for the kids but there is a definitive reason when I am using them, and they are most definitely not the crux of the training. When I'm running speed cycles to get them prepped for regionals or nationals we'll bring in bands or chains but change the load so as to prime their nervous system to be "overclocked". Again, there is a time and place for things, and there's a time to just stick with the basics.

The more experienced lifter with no desire to compete has a little bit more leeway - though I will say most people vastly overstate their level of expertise when it comes to this.

It really comes down the individual and what their goals are. For the non competitive person - chances are it's be "decently strong and look good nekid". Now As you mentioned grip strength may not be an issue for you but I'm sure you wouldn't mind hitting a legit deadlift of some arbitrary number that you have decided upon in your mind without straps. Now as you mentioned improving your grip strength (and this is more the way I prefer) is a solution. I like this and did this myself before competing and I've never had grip problems since. I'll incorporate straps on some things such as heavy rack pulls or rows or shrugs but still leave my main deadlift training - for the most part (again dependent upon how much abuse my hands have taken over the weeks). But because I fixed the actual problem way back when I haven't had to deal with it. For most of those that fit in the genre of people - which I imagine is a good many here - I'd suggest fixing the problems. Sure you may not care about having a big deadlift but having good grip strength so that it's not a limiting factor is great for all your lifts. If your trying to say "I only care about a big back" well then go rack pull with straps. You'll be able to load it up more and get better activation in your back than you would from deadlifting. Ultimately we're all competing against ourselves and it is by the rules that we define for our selves that dictate whether or not someone ultimately believes they should use various equipment or not. You can build a body you want, get stronger (within reason) doing just the basics and don't really need the equipment of it all. It is when you choose to step up to the platform that you are making a decision to abide by other peoples rules and thus should train accordingly.

2. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Yes that is without a pump and sub 10-BF.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k495/ValhallaTrainingSystem/tumblr_lsd2hzelvU1r0ayovo1_500.jpg

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k495/ValhallaTrainingSystem/tumblr_m4hm02Mwqr1r0ayovo1_1280.jpg - to show the sub 10-BF though I could care less about that. For me it's about the weight on the bar and what I can do on the platform. Nothing I do is directed at aesthetics at all.

Just for you TK :p

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

Does Knucks sweat count as a lifting aid? Are you using it to work around you're lack of beard?

I had a chemistry exam today, had a question on anadrol, found if lolzy.

Gym was so annoying today.I kept racking the bar really weirdly. Like whenever I tried to unrack it, the bar felt really weird on my back. Switched from cambered bar to straight bar and it was still weird. Wasn't just uneven on my back, the left side of the bar was pointing kind of up. Even got the gym owner who squatted 280kg at a body weight of 86kg to take a look, his names Nigel Burgess, appaz he was a big powerlfiter when he was younger Just kept adjusting my bar position. For about an hour I was just squatting 2 plates and even then it felt really uncomfortable and quite difficult. Found out the power rack wasn't parallel to the wall. I line myself up with a mirror on the wall, bar was not parallel with the mirror, mean't for about an hour I was racking the bar slanted across my back FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

4. knucks

knucks Senior member

learn to squat without a mirror.

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

lol, unfortunately my narrow-minded view of training has left me unable to answer that question. sorry :(

fo serious though, excited to try them out. i didnt really get them for the sake of having an easier time hitting depth or whatever - just that my current lifting shoes are about to explode. considering i'd be paying like 40$ for chucks i'd rather just spend the money on something i will have to adjust to eventually

that and chucks are uncomfortable and fug considering what they cost. the sole is like an inch thick too, my current lifting shoes aren't even 1cm off the floor.

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I guess I'm a bit biased on this gear discussion since PL isn't really relevant to my interests at all but imho if you need OL shoes to hit something like a PARALLEL squat you're fucked

and this is not in reply to you jarude

e. not a comment to the mighty gear convo, just you know my thoughts on using OL shoes

7. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Most people can absolutely achieve their goals without the use of any type of gear or implements. It's when you're looking to be a higher caliber athlete that that stuff really comes into play and even then as I've said at least once and will continue to always say - there's a time and place for just about everything and don't be dogmatic in your way of thought. And yes, if you can't hit parallel without olympic shoes then for the most part (again most part - see how I'm big on exceptions and non-blanket statements) you have an issue. There are some people that squatting to that depth does not suit their needs for their specific goals.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

I would if the mirror wasn't there, but it's card of hard not to use when its right in front of you.

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

turn away from the mirror?

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

rack is right up agains the wall, I wouldn't have room to get under the bar and I'd have to rack it by walking backwards if I tried to turn away from the mirror.

11. knucks

knucks Senior member

you cant turn the hooks around or anything?

12. knucks

knucks Senior member

fuckit man just turn the rack

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

Nah its a squat rack not a power rack so it only has one set. It's really heavy, not chance of turning it around. Gym owner bought a EFS power cage though, which he's gonna put in soon. Brb using EFS power cage with a cambered bar that some gypseys made out of scrap metal which is covered in rust and really sharp.

3x bw deadlift brah herniated a disk today, feels bad man.

14. knucks

knucks Senior member

hope youre kidding

15. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Nice, looking good!

Just further motivation for me to bulk up more. I'm sitting on 15.5s cold with ~8-9% BF and definitely want to increase in size. It's funny, people already tell me my arms are hyuuuge and juicy, but they're nothing compared to a lot of folks out there. I guess mine are big in proportion to my body, but there's still plenty of work to be done.

And an arm pic, just for the hell of it:
    [​IMG]
    On a somewhat related note, I think it's fucking weird how there's so many people in this thread with the "disregard aesthetics" attitude on a fucking styleforum. No hate of course, just humorous.:happy: