Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

lulz ^ unaware

Cell tech is internet lingo for steroids, not the actual celltech. :nodding:

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

lol I didn't mean the actual supplement cell tech, people call gear cell tech on the interwebz.

Edit: ^wizard

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  3. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Ah I've never heard it called cell tech. Juice, gear, special sauce, good stuff sure but never cell tech.

4. knucks

knucks Senior member

5. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Hahaha! Probably the best compliment you could get.

On a different note...deadlift technique:

Do you guys think it's better to squat the weight up, then extend...or is it better to do both movements throughout the entire lift?

6. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

If you start by squatting you're doing it in the least efficient way. The goal is to lift the most weight possible, I start by gripping the bar as hard as I can, squeezing my lats and then pushing my hips forward as I pull the bar back.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

About a year ago I got asked if I was natty. I was db benching like 20kg dumbbells, squatting 40kg and overhead pressing 16kg, but somehow pulling 120kg sumo. Isthisreallife.jpg? I also has people PMing me asking me for lifting advice for skinny bros. Now that I actually have a decent physique and good lifts I don't get asked anymore, feels bad man.

I always assumed knucks was on dat der. Was surprised when you said no. Lol at "permissible" , streetwear and denim people "FUARK I LOVE COCAINE AND ADDERAL SO MUCH" everyday.

8. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Isnt the first rule of DL'ing not to try and squat the weight?

9. knucks

knucks Senior member

I don't really do true deadlifts anymore, just clean pulls/clean style deadlifts. So the idea is, grab bar, tight lats, loose arms, tight back - squat it up

My girlfriend's hips shoot up first in her pulls, so I told her to imagine squatting it off the floor and pulling back, seems to help..

10. kimchimonster

kimchimonster Member

In a deadlift, I try to keep my hips up high maybe in a quarter squat position and keep my weight behind the bar. It should feel like you're pulling back and not up. When locking out, I like to throw my chin back. There should already be a lot of tension in your legs before the bar moves from the bottom position. Check out Louie Simmons deadlift vids on YouTube. He is god of all things powerlifting. Look at the form of lifters like Andy Bolton, Ed Coan, Konstantin Konstantinov and Benedikt Magnusson. All have pulled 900+ pounds although Ed Coan did it at 220 body weight.

I've got a long trunk and short arms, so I pull more sumo-style. Short trunk, long arms are better suited for conventional.

11. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

In my gym we call this the stripper deadlift, and it's not a good thing. The problem with this sort of movement is that you basically end up in a straight-leg deadlift for the last 1/3 or so of the ROM. This puts a lot more pressure on the lumbar spine (and not in a good way) and is generally much weaker. If you aren't going to deadlift, that's probably okay, but don't deadlift badly.

12. knucks

knucks Senior member

Maybe you misunderstood - I don't mean that her hips shooting up first is a good thing. Telling her to squat it and pull back helps.

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

yeah a clean pull isn't really a dl, nor should it be

14. knucks

knucks Senior member

Lagrangian - does every gym in Finland have bumper plates?

15. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

as a deadlift noob who non the less wants to deadlift heavy, any recommended technique videos or reading?