Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Put a bunch of 45's sideways plates to create a raised platform.

Drunkenly tore my shirt off for a bunch of girls at a party on Saturday. Feels beastly man. (Got a video too but I'm not sure I want that sort of thing on the internet).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

2. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Is that carb backloading site/ebook actually any good?

I mean as a relative beginner I would be insane to pay 90 bucks for an ebook containing info that mostly free online anyway, right?

3. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Most of the info is free. The book has a lot of the science behind it for those that are more research oriented and interested in that can go through that as well. Kiefer knows his stuff.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

Yeah I suppose you're right, parallel feels much higher in oly shoes, which I found strange. Not like I have a hard time reaching parallel in converse though.

Do not believe IF would have let me go from a 40kg squat to a 170kg triple in under a year. Unless I like force fed myself during the eating period, but that would feel shit.

Good workout today, pull up numbers up. Doing sets of 8 easy, probably max at 12. How many should I be doing before I put some weight on? Still on 40kg for 3x5 on incline db bench. On saturday Sainsburys was having a sale on bombay sapphire (gin of the gods) so I bought a bottle and drank it and got too krunk and bought my gf an Ipad and now I have no money for my future cell tech plans fuuuuuuuuu.

5. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

lol well the only real negative to IF is you sometimes DO have to forcefeed yourself. My lunch is about 2000 calories and afterwards I have to take an hour long nap.

You would have seen that squat increase regardless of what diet you were doing so long as you were in a surplus. Those are called newbie gains. :)

As far as pullups...if you're going for size, if you can do more than 10 you should add weight to keep yourself in the 6-10 range.

6. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

lulz if I can post pics of myself half naked on SF, you can post a hulk-rage shirt rip. :D

7. LM16

LM16 Senior member

I haven't seen many at all do IF and gain a ton of muscle. Under 200 lbs at anything taller than 5'9" or so isn't particularly a "ton of muscle" mind you. Further eventually the body starts eating muscle while fasting since it eventually runs out of "crap" to clear out via autophagy. Autophagy is a process in the body that cleans out all the garbage that builds up in skeletal muscle - mitochondria mutations, incomplete proteins, basically cellular waste. It also protects the body from eating it's own lean muscle tissue to an extent. However, once it's cleaned out all the cellular garbage - which happens faster during times of super intense AT/AN work or long periods of fasting - it turns inwards on the muscle tissue and starts eating away at that.

I like IF from a behavioral standpoint in that it teaches people to control hunger urges but from a biological standpoint it's far from optimal and over an extended period of time you'll start seeing it cannibalize muscle tissue. This is just one reason why you don't see many shredded Greek God figures (not a knock on Martin Berkhan but he's not someone with a large amount of muscle mass - knows his stuff just isn't a good example for a natural IF'er with lots of muscle mass) using the IF protocol.

From a health standpoint there are definitely benefits in that it does indeed clear out all the cellular crap that gets left in your muscle which is good to a point as I mentioned. Too much and autophagy process turns on you.

Just realize that it may not be all that it is made out to be (and yes I've actually tried it and simply found it near impossible to get my calories in in that small of a window though I do believe in delaying breakfast and having a slightly shorter fast - again to make sure my autophagy process is clearing out crap but not destroying muscle tissue.

There's a lot of good stuff from a lot of nutritional programs but don't allow yourself to be dogmatic about things - simply try, assess, and discard what may not work for you and your goals.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

lol

9. GraphicNovelty

Lunch for the week
    [​IMG]

Still from the video

[​IMG]

10. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

posturebros, is there such thing as "bad" external shoulder rotation? just as we were clowning on joe rogan for having internally-rotated broshoulders, should i be concerned if my shoulders do the opposite? i have a tendency to have my shoulders pulled back without even thinking about it.. im thinking its because i do a lot of upper back work and this is just the intended outcome; now that im working at a desk job im paying more attention to my posture and i just noticed this recently.

also, hook grip coming along nicely. chalk is a godsend, thumbs getting all gnarly and stuff.

12. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

LM16, I realize IF has its limitations. For someone who is very lean and is looking to maintain that leanness while getting a bit of lean muscle mass, it's great. It's helped me go from 165 --> 180 with minimal fat gain. With traditional bulking diets, I've always found I've gained MUCH more fat, lost more definition, and had to bulk slower than with IF. I fully realize, though, that IF is unlikely to take me from 180 up to 220. I doubt that anyone is going to get huge and juicy off of IF. From an aesthetics standpoint, though, I think it is excellent for being able to gain some lean mass without causing you to feel shy about taking your shirt off at the pool. In the fall, when shirts are on, I'll likely switch back to a traditional bulk. For now though, IF is the shit.:slayer:

13. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Cell tech is expensive sugar water with creatine monohydrate in it. Just go put creatine monohydrate in gatorade it's half the sugar (which you don't need) and a 1/10th the cost.

14. GraphicNovelty

15. knucks

knucks Senior member

naw dont think that's any concern unless you're IR starts suffering