Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

FML why cant i stop myself from getting on the scales every day sometimes. Was up 2lb in first week, got on this morning (same conditions) and the 2lb has gone, after eating an extra few hundred calories last night to make sure. I know most people say this is due to water weight etc, but normally on a bulk i just notice an upward trend all the time as if anything water weight is increasing from all the carbs. Must eat more. Yes, i always take a shit before weighing. This is the trouble with a "lean" bulk, i get paranoid that im not actually gaining anything.

2. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

It's very simple, son. I don't waste time picking apart massive rambling posts which are 90% junk analogies and slippery slopes. TK and Josh have both addressed your issues politely, but I have no interest in babying your bad argumentation.

3. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

My arms have stretched out and I can low-bar squat now. Not sure which I prefer, but I'll stick to low-bar because my hero Rip advocates it. I've been increasing my lifts every workout. Now that I can low-bar, I can probably be more aggressive with the increases.

Squat: 20x5x2, 25x5, 27.5x5, 30x5x3
    Bench press: 20x5x2, 25x5, 30x5x3
    Deadlift: 35x5x1, 40x5, 45x5

Do you guys start your DL warm up at 135 pounds? My work set today was 45 kg (100 lb). Because I'm using smaller plates the bar sits too close to the ground. I don't seem to have a problem reaching down though while keeping my back tight. Hopefully I'll be able to start at 135 lb soon.

Next week I learn the power clean. Not sure how that's going to go in this small gym.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

4. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Is the first number in all of those weight in KG?

Where you start your warm-up totally depends on what you are working up to. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I also wouldn't worry about low-bar v. high-bar squatting at this point. Given your current numbers, it looks like you are pretty new to lifting. The most important thing for you to do is focus on practicing good technique and building a strength base. Don't overthink it. Lift regularly, eat well, get enough sleep. Those three things are all you need to think about for at least the next six months.

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

:nodding:

here, let me re-post the part you can't deal with, since evidently its hitting a nerve and causing your ego to try and assert itself:

6. maplefuturist

Yes, KG. [​IMG]

7. joshuadowen

Yeah, so you are pretty new to lifting then?

It's important to keep in mind that a lot of what we talk about on this thread - and a lot of the info out there generally - are details for experienced lifters. One mistake a lot of people make early on is to focus too much on these details. It's not that these things don't matter, but most of them focus on getting that last 10 percent, and presuppose that you are already doing most things right.

Don't get too bogged down in the details at this stage of your lifting career. Lift heavy and with good technique, eat meat, sleep, repeat.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

I reckon you should do what I did. Bulk really hard and get fat and put a tonne of weight on your lifts then cut. Would get you out of your slump.

9. joshuadowen

What do you weigh now? Body fat? How much are you trying to put on? What have you been eating?

Generally, day-to-day calorie intake doesn't mean much relative to weekly or monthly averages. The body is pretty good at compensating for a couple of days overeating. Eating an extra few hundred calories the day before a weigh-in isn't going to do much.

10. maplefuturist

Week 4 now. First few weeks was all about technique. Luckily I work out at the same time as this Leangains chick. She's a bit nuts, but OK for form check. I wanted to low-bar because I just wanted to go by the book. Like you said, there's so much information out there it can be overwhelming, so I try to keep it simple. I'm eating 2700 kcal a day with a ratio around 30/40/30. My starting bodyweight was only 123 lb, so ~200g protein seems fine. I'm sore, but not sore enough that it interferes with my progress. I'll probably need to up it to at least 3000 in the coming weeks.

All is good. I like this.

11. joshuadowen

That's awesome. Good on you for getting started. Just remember: slow and steady here. Don't rush. These things take time.

12. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Olympic shoes can hide hip mobility issues which most people have - especially internet warriors that sit at desks all day with their hip flexors in a shortened position. So yes olympic shoes are better shoes to squat in because of the more stable platform - but they can often hide hip mobility issues which are ignored because the shoes make it easier to get to depth. So at times, squatting without them just to check whether or not you have hip mobility issues or impingement can be beneficial.

I generally agree with what you're saying or at least the idea of it but just wanted to add that tid bit in that I find a lot of new crossfitters/oly lifters are seeming to ignore.

13. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Take a picture each week. Over the weeks you'll be able to see the changes much more so than just the scale weight. If you can see the changes and your strength is going up then you're going in the right direction. I use pictures with all my clients and another positive benefit is that it's cool to see how much you've changed after 12 weeks - it's hard to see that when you're just looking in the mirror every day.

14. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

What kind of surplus are you running?

15. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Orrrrr you can do IF and become a shredded Greek God and gain a ton of muscle with hardly any fat. :slayer: