Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

Talking to my bro about gym gear. I wear quite a bit when I lift. I squat in oly shoes, knee sleeves and a belt and when I press I wear elbow sleeves and if my wrists are feeling weird or im going really heavy and wrap my wrists. He's saying this is bad because it makes you reliant on the gear. I don't understand this argument, I don't care if I'm reliant on a belt when I lift, I'm never gonna lift without a belt so why do I care what I can lift without one? Inb4 functional strength what if a lamp posts falls on you in the squat position, which weighs more then your unbelted max and you get crushed and die.

2. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I feel it is just a mild case of personal preference. I want to understand my strength without tools and I want to be able to lift anywhere there is a bar and plates. I don't want to have to cut my 1rm by 10% every time I forget a tool or it breaks or whatever. Increasing my 1rm by 10% by using a tool also has no real value to me. Nobody gives a shit if I can lift 10% more or not.

I've also come to the conclusion that my queer form of golfer's elbow is, in fact, coming from squatting, making this the third long term, mystery ailment afflicting my upper body given to me by squatting. For Father's Day (not a dad yet) / Birthday, I'm looking into a small number of legit training sessions at the local power / oly lifting gym.

3. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I think by wearing a belt for every set you're cheating yourself out of a good core workout. Most people I know who wear belts do so only on their heaviest sets, where they are limited by core strength.

Also, on the broader topic of gear...I find it much more primally satisfying if it's just me and the weight. No special shoes, no belts, no straps, no chalk. I like to fucking punish my body in the gym.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

Punish your body more by wearing a belt or chalk because you can use more weight nam sayin? Knee sleeves aren't really gonna help you move more weight, but they keep your knees healthy, I can't think of a reason not to wear them.

5. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Going to a Muay Thai gym on Friday, situps, getting punched in the stomach, practising the moves and then a bit of light sparring. Apparently its the best martial art to train for street fighting and its great for fitness.

6. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

I think this is a funny attitude towards extra gear. Rather than saying "why not use it," shouldn't the approach be "why do I need it?" If you aren't recovering from a knee injury and you don't have a history of knee problems, I can't think of any reason why you'd need knee sleeves to squat. If you are squatting with good form - externally rotated hip joint, pushing knees out as you descend - squatting shouldn't cause any undue pressure on the knee joint. The problem with tools generally, and this is a good example, is that rather than correcting an underlying problem (weak core, bad form, etc.) people find a tool that mitigates the effects of the problem.

It's one thing for competitive lifters to use tools. For them, the goal is big numbers above all else. For the rest of us, it doesn't make sense unless you've got an injury that prevents dealing with the problem directly. You aren't pushing your body more by putting on a belt. You are making up for the fact that your core isn't strong enough to squat more weight. The point of squatting isn't to squat the heaviest weight you can, it's to get stronger. These are not the same thing. As an amateur, if you need oly shoes and a belt and knee wraps to squat heavy, then you are doing yourself a huge disservice.

7. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

If your gym stocks bigger belts for general usage, it's an awesome method. I usually do the balancing act because I do most of my plank work at home and throw some dumbbells on -- that's even harder to get balanced. haha.

This.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Everyones gonna squat more in a belt then without a belt. It's not like a belt takes your abs out of the movement either. Doesn't mean you have weak abs, it's just your gonna squat more in a belt, which means you are training your legs harder. I don't have any knee problems, but knee sleeves should lower the chance of them over occuring. I don't see what disservice oly shoes give me, they improve the biomechanics of my squat, why should I not want to improve it.

9. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

If I see a guy squatting wearing oly shoes, knee wraps and a belt...he better have 4 plates minimum per side or he'll look like a wanna be. I'm willing to bet he'll be the same guy who carries a gallon milk jug filled with water and who makes it a point to talk/laugh real loud so everyone gives him some attention.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

My best squat was 170kg for a tripple mad?

You have to squat 405lb at a minimum so that you can use equipment that makes the squat safer and more efficient? Seems legit. Brb risking knee and lower back health and not overloading my legs as much as I could because I don't squat 405.

11. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Perhaps you feel you are risking knee and lower back health as you are squatting a bit more than you can really handle? Cut it back to 150 kg and get used to doing it without the wraps and belt. I'm being serious. I'm 48 years old and weigh 77 kg and have squatted 150 kg (just for singles) with a pair of running shoes, no wrap and no belt. It was damn hard and I haven't gone that heavy in about a year, but I never felt as though I was risking knee or lower back injury.I worked up to it with very good form and I'm not "huge" in the slightest. I don't really push it on the squat or deadlift anymore as I've started to do a lot of sprints/hill sprints and the heavy squats/deadlifts really tighten me up too much to run - and I'm not one who likes to stretch.

12. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

This makes no sense.

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

Why would you squat in running shoes with that much weight? I'm not really worried about damaging my knees it's just there is always gonna be a risk of damaging your knees, knee sleeves keep my knees warm thus reducing the weight. I'm talking sleeves not wraps. I can literally not think of any reason not to wear them other then just not wanting to. They improve the safety of the lift, they don't make it any easier, they don't reduce the load in anyway. Why would I not pay $20 to reduce the risk of fucking my knees up? I see why people don't want to use a belt because it lets you lift more weight, but it doesn't take your muscles out of the lift. Abs are still gonna contract as hard as they can, it's just you're gonna have the belt to provide more internal pressure and your legs are gonna work harder because of the higher weight.

14. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I squat/deadlift heavy (at least heavy for me), put the bar back on the rack and get in my car and go home. I do no cool down or stretching and never have. Doesn't screw with me normally, but heavy squats/deadlifts really tighten me up and I can really feel it when I run. I'm not talking about jogging; I'm talking sprinting. Deadlifts hit me harder than squats. It wasn't that way when I was younger, so maybe it's an age thing?

15. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Because I can. :slayer: Seriously, I usually mix up lifting and running and hate to change clothing when I'm working out. I do have a pair of O-lifting shoes that I occasionally use when O-lifting, but usually I wear running shoes or Nike Free Cross Trainers. I'm low maintenance and don't want to be carrying a bag to the gym with different shoes/equipment/etc.