Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. knucks

knucks Senior member

Could be impingement

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

3. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Random thought, but I've been doing windmills for years and my shoulders will make popping sounds almost every time. I started doing dislocations regularly for the last 8 mon or so... the more my shoulders loosen up/grip narrows, the more popping I get. Never hurts but wondering if I'm fucking myself up. FWIW, my ankles make the same popping sound all the time when I just walk. Can hear me coming from around the corner.

4. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

My PT told me some people crack/pop more than others. If pain does not accompany it, do not fret

5. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

The good: tacked on 10lbs to my DL this morning, up to 3 reps at 235lbs (I know, still embarassing). Groin pain has largely gone away

The bad: gradually starting to have pain in what I think is the adductor in the right hip flexor - middle of the leg, below the pelvic bone. It feels sore after I lift. Pain is activated most when I am sitting and bend over or do a warrior type yoga pose where I am pushing down on that area. Any thoughts on how to fix? I think my DL form is good but may need to do stretches to build strength in that area.

6. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

7. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

GOOD GOD going to the gym during the day blows now that all the high schoolers are done with school.

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Ah yes. NOTHING worse than pre-pubescent bros. :facepalm:

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

Sorry bro, fist pumping between sets, screaming when I lift and playing my music so loud you can hear it across the gym gets me pumped though.

But yeah the number of DYELs has gone up. Ran into some people from my sixth form on saturday who I haven't seen in over a year. Dat feel when they're shocked to see you squatting over 3 plates because you used to be a skinny hipster.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

10. knucks

knucks Senior member

Does it hurt to stretch it?

11. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Most stretches actually make it feel better, not worse. The only one that really hurts it is that warrior / lunge type move that I referenced above. Also the stupid chair I sit in has slightly rounded sides that push my hip inward, this also hurts.

12. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

So I'm not too lazy to read the article. He makes some interesting points. Generally, I think it's really dangerous to take studies done on elite athletes and apply the findings to yourself. In this case, while I totally buy his claim that rounding the thoracic allows for the lifting of heavier loads, I'm not sure the safety/injury issue translates to Average Joe Athletes.

1. He mentions that the elite lifters who pull with rounded backs are able to avoid injury by not letting the spine flex to end range. Just because they can do it doesn't mean that you can.

2. Priorities of competitive lifters versus priorities of everyone else should be different. As an amateur athlete, injury avoidance should be your number one priority. You don't win anything by being able lift 15 percent more weight. There's really no reason to let the risk of injury creep up at ALL in the name of lifting more weight.

3. Thoracic rounding is very different than lumbar rounding. Lumbar should ALWAYS be neutral. Minor thoracic rounding is different than extreme thoraric rounding. Letting the spine flex/extend to end range creates a very real risk of injury.

13. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Loving my new routine, massive leg and lower back DOMS and that was a low weight run-up to the real heavy stuff. Im so hungry that i've pretty much hit all macros but want to eat more. Dont want to get fat but when i have doms and am still hungry i feel like eating more equals more muscle.

Also foam rolled and stretched my hip flexors last night, there is a really angry sore point on the one that stops me from squatting, whereas the other side doesnt feel any different since the rolling. What does that suggest, is that like the area where the damage or tear is?

14. knucks

knucks Senior member

Well, when all else fails remember that that muscle, whatever it is, may be overworked and is getting pissed.

Might need to strengthen opposing muscles

15. knucks

knucks Senior member

Imbalances