Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

salad

2. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

3. knucks

knucks Senior member

Any one have thoughts on whats happening with my left shoulder? Joshua?

Pain always comes back behind the scapula, sometimes refers to the neck but very slightly. For what it's worth, overhead/external rotation of the left seems worse..

4. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

My dad used to have a company in Ipswich. Cool place.

Working out at home is great, just need to make a workout playlist. Any suggestions?

5. dune

dune Senior member

It was probably mostly the attitude. There's plenty of ripped guys, but he was a pretty damn good troll.

6. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Still can't fix my low bar squat-mornings. I'm assuming (looking from the side) your hips are supposed to shoot straight up then forward out of the hole. Seems like if they shoot back even the slightest bit, the weight tips forward and I'm GMing it up.

Whenever I imagine a fat Texan wearing khaki shorts barking "HIP DRIVE", fuckin hips wind up pushing back.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  7. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

starting lyle mcdonalds generic bulking routine tomorrow, ending a long period of doing whatever i feel like in the gym. I have put deadlifts instead of squats, which was outlined in the FAQ. Also removed a calf exercise, i dont really want them to get bigger. Same workouts are repeated on thursday and friday, when i will do overhead press instead of bench for the upper workout. I'm a little concerned that chest and back dont get much volume. In fact it looks a pretty easy routine to me, time will tell if its any good.

Mon: Lower
    deadlift 3 x 5
    Leg press: 2-3X10-12
    leg curl: 2-3X10-12
    Seated calf: 2-3X10-12
    Abs

Tue: Upper
    Flat bench: 3X6-8
    Row: 3X6-8
    Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12
    Pulldown 2X10-12
    Triceps: 1-2X12-15
    Biceps: 1-2X12-15

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

You can make a workout as hard as you want. I do really low volume workouts except for my back. Never really go past 5 or sets per muscle group and usually only do 1 movement. Just max out every set

Seated calf raises and standing calf raises do 2 different muscles, wouldn't just remove one of them.

9. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Hard to say. There's not a lot going on back there that would be caused by anything but your spine, but who knows. But anytime there's significant pain associated with lifting, my general advice is the same:

1. stop doing anything that makes it hurt. 4-6 weeks rest. if there's an injury to muscle, that's about how long it takes to heal. so probably no pressing, overhead work, or anything in the front rack.
    2. during that 4-6 weeks, spend the time/energy you would have on pressing/overhead work/whatever you can't do because it hurts and mobilize your shoulder, thoracic, and neck.
    3. if after 4-6 weeks of genuinely resting the area and mobilizing the shit out of it, pain returns as soon as you start training, odds are it's some sort of ligament/tendon injury, and you should see a doctor and get an MRI.

10. joshuadowen

Can you clarify what you mean here? How would your hips shoot back out of the hole? In the bottom of the squat, your hips should already be as far back as they can go.

11. knucks

knucks Senior member

Neck mobility?

12. joshuadowen

I guess neck mobility is a bit of a misnomer, but you can work on making sure all of the musculature in and around your neck is free of any really tense spots. I've had disk problems before, and have found neck distraction to be pretty helpful - basically completely unloading the cervical spine so that disks can work themselves back into place.

13. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Moving home for a month in august between roommates, checking out gyms in the area. Found a nice little place with lots of good equipment (including a sled) for $55 (no startup fee). I walk in and the guy's like "you look like a powerlifter". Feelsgoodman :D

14. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Maybe that's my problem... I need to film myself bailing on a max set again.

15. joshuadowen

Good idea. Usually though, if you are failing by falling forward, it's either a technical problem with where you are putting your weight in your feet, or it's a core strength problem.